No its not alright at all. The problem is there are a whole bunch of different things it could be.
PM me with talkbox questions.

A study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
yes its fine all amps do that if the bass and everything is very loud or just from very long continuos use just when it gets to be smellin kinda strong like maybe 5 10 mins after u smell it turn it off so it can cool down thats all
my gear:
Schecter Damien 6 w/emg's
gibson sg standard
dean performer e acou/elec
ibanez tone blaster=[
ibanez ts7 tubescreamer
boss ds-1
boss sd-1
dunlop crybaby from hell wah
Sometimes my balls get hot and smell like they're burning, but then I just get new ones.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Thats okay, the tubes heat up to work and they do smell kindof like paint burning. I have 2 tube amps, both do it and they're fine. Actual fire is not okay though.
the lesser known of the 4
i used to get that smell back when i was playin through an old tube amp, the amp always worked fine
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
If it ever blows up or catches fire, can you take a pic first before putting out the fire?

If it explodes, then give us a few pics!
My amp tends to smell but it smells good. It doesn't have a burning smells to it really. Tubes are meant to heat up. I would get it checked out if they are heating up really hot though.
If the glass is getting black marks on it, it's glowing in places that shouldn't, bring it to a tech for sure.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by llanafreak44
is it ok if the back of my amp smells like hot/burning?

Check to make sure your heatsink fan is working (if you have one). I had that problem with my Boogie. If they don't have some sort of air flow over them, your tubes will blow quickly.
Hi, I'm Peter
I bought a small $5 fan at Wal-mart a while back (about 4-5 in diameter) that I use to blow down into the vents when in use and it works quite well. The inside of the amp is noticably much cooler. This will help your tubes and cap stay nice and cool.
Will it affect your sound............. fanning it and stuff ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
The burning smell isn't good, but the usual valves-heating-up smell is immense.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30