alright my guitar teacher is teaching me about modes and stuff
hes saying what modes would work over keys and everything hes telling me that like a g mixolidian would work in the key of c
so does that mean you cant do a c mixolidian in the key of c or would you have to do a g same with the other modes.
G is a fifth above C so that may be why. I can't remember which step the Mixolidian starts on but when I find that I'll give you a better answer. Unless someone else with more musical knowledge does.

EDIT:
The key of G is G A B C D E F#
G Mixolydian is D E F# G A B C
. . .

. . .

. . .
aw shit, I don't know I haven't gotten that far into modes yet. Wait until someone smarter than me comes along.
Last edited by R0CKER1220 at Jul 3, 2006,
Quote by R0CKER1220
G is a fifth above C so that may be why. I can't remember which step the Mixolidian starts on but when I find that I'll give you a better answer. Unless someone else with more musical knowledge does.

EDIT:
The key of G is G A B C D E F#
G Mixolydian is D E F# G A B C
. . .

. . .

. . .
aw shit, I don't know I haven't gotten that far into modes yet. Wait until someone smarter than me comes along.

G Mixolydian - G A B C D E F G

And yes, you could use C Mixolydian over a Cmaj chord.

Try reading this.
Quote by inmysleep
alright my guitar teacher is teaching me about modes and stuff
hes saying what modes would work over keys and everything hes telling me that like a g mixolidian would work in the key of c. So does that mean you can't do a c mixolidian in the key of c or would you have to do a g same with the other modes.
I'm almost always amazed in this forum when the topic of modes surfaces. It's almost as if there must be a Book of Mode Rules, the occultic and secret contents of which the Teacher knows but must remain tantalizingly out of the reach of the lowly guitarist candidate.

Come on, guys, lighten up!

I would guess that virtually every guitarist that visits this forum knows at least one other guitarist playing at about his or her own skill level. That being my assumption (and yes, I know what they say about assumptions), try this...

* Set aside an hour in which you and your buddy guitarist agree to experiment with chord / mode combinations.

* Pick a scale (C major is a good one - no sharps or flats) and determine both the diatonic chords and the scale's modes.

Here comes the easy and fun part. Now while you and your buddy swap parts, chording and single-line mode-playing...

* Play the different modes over the different chords, making sure to name the chord and mode as you play them, and make up your own mind about which chord / mode combinations sound good to you!

That's it! No more memorization that is guaranteed to fail you in the heat of soloing. Instead, you'll develop a genuine understanding of chord / mode compatibility, an understanding that will only grow deeper and more robust the more you and your buddy get together.

But wait - there's more! You'll actually have fun learning modes this way!

When a student of mine is ready for modes (after they understand and can demonstrate proficiency in playing the diatonic chords in all 12 keys), I teach them the basics of modes. They always jump all over this.

We then, over a period of as long as it takes, go through the process I've described above. No memorization, no modal/chordal/progressional theory (unless they really want to talk about theory - I'm always up for that!)- we just swap off playing chord and mode combinations, making sure to name the chord and mode as we play them.

That's it. And guess what - they get it! And we both have fun in the process.

With best wishes for chord / mode fun,
gpb
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Last edited by gpb0216 at Jul 4, 2006,
modes still are confusing, but i'm slowly getting them.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!