i got an old guitar with a rosewood fret board. the guitar is black but the rosewood isnt really dark enough for the body to look right imo. should i put some ebony stuff on it to make it darker or will it not affect the color? also what should i use to ebonyize it?
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
ebony is a wood you cant ebonize a fretboard but you could problably could stain the rosewood darker.
If your neck is a bolt on, you can find a new neck with an ebony fretboard. But it has to be the same scale.
thats what i meant, "staining" i guess. i knew ebony was a type of wood but i had heard some people talking about making other woods look like ebony. i was just wondering the best way to do this. and i dont want to buy a new neck. i like the one i got, just not the color
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
so black leather dye will work instead of actual stain like in the paint section of home depot? cuz i have a leather store near by, but they might be a little expensive.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
^something smarter and more durable then that.

edit: not saying your stupid just saying taking a sharpie to my guitar will be a stupid idea
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
if i knew it would hold up and i could tape everything off i would but i want something that will hold up relly well and wont come off when the strings touch it
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
As long as the frets are high enough, its your fingers touching it not the strings. A layer of epoxy over it, or something else thats clear and durable. Ya gotta figure, they use gloss on those things anyway, its not like ur taking a step down in durability.
well true but i have really low action and am not sure how building up paint and sealer would affect playability
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Good point, it would add a little.

I guess you could attempt to sand it down a tad if you really wanted to. A black fretboard on a black guitar would be pretty cool, and you can buy black strings too.
cool ill try your method Ippon. do i need to seal the dye or let it go with a few coats of the stuff?

and absinthe, where can i find black strings??
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
didn't the old rickenbackers have painted fretboards?i am probaly wrong but w/e, and i guess you could do like custom paint swirls and psychadelic **** instead of inlays if it doesn't affect playability
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff