Hi, I am new here.

I have been playing guitar off and on for about 4 years now. For the past year and a half I have played a lot more, recording many demo albums for fun (many of the songs are pretty humorous).

The thing is I like to make songs basically out of chord progressions. Not a lot of riffs.
For example, a song I played at a show for my 8th-grade year of school on the last day of day of school at a talent show was a song that had the chord progression of four chords. However it sounds very good.

So am I a true guitarist if I just like to stick to chords to make songs, etc.?

Or do I absolutely have to have riffs and stuff?

Thanks,

~Radio Addict
Quote by Radio Addict
Why dont you suggest it?
In my opinion, it is much more fun to play chords and solos. You will also be a better guitarist if you play riffs and solos.

I wouldn't look at you as a non-guitarist if you just played chords, but there's even more to rhythm guitar than just chords.
Well, just playing your regular four chords can get sorta boring. It's perfectly fine and musical, but after a while people are gonna want more than just your simple parts.
for the first year or so that i played guitar i played open chords. made up some neat little progressions. didnt mean i wasnt a guitarist. now, i mostly write metal and hard rock, and, ocasionally, to soften things up, ill put on a clean sound and throw in an open chord progression (or power chord, depends on what i feel is needed). sometimes i use them in intros, or outros, or leading up to a solo, anything.
it would be good to broaden your skills, but, hey, no big deal if you dont. make some kickass chorded songs
Quote by Metalology

................../´¯/)
...............,/¯..//
............./....//
....../´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
.../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
.('( ...´(..´......,~/'...')
..\.................\/..../
...''...\.......... _.·´
....\..........(

bassmonkey16@nexopia
i use chords for most of all the songs i write. as long as you can keep it interesting with just chords, its fine. you dont always have to just strum the chords either, picking one or a couple of the notes at a time works well too. if you strum say the low half of a chord for half a bar, then the high half for the second half the bar, it sounds almost like 2 different chords. mixing this up a bit (ie. playing the low part at times, and high at other times in a bar) gives a bit of interest to the rhythm part the guitar is playing.

really, if it sounds good and you enjoy playing it, then stick with what you are doing. if you feel the music is lacking or you want to add more, then add riffs and such. but it isnt necessary to do anything one way or another.
The thing with songs made up entirely of chords is that they lack a lot of musical identity. It's a common coincidence for two songs to havs the same chord progression. The things that define each song in their own rights are the melodies, riffs, solos, etc.

Also, you'd be hard-pressed to think of any widely popular artists that have nothing but songs with chords being strummed.
if u can play guitar ur a guitarist, if u play just 4 chords, ur probably a boring guitarist... or greenday
I sing and play rhythm guitar.... and I just have to say that you guys are generalizing QUITE a bit on songwriting and rhythm guitar there if you think it's just getting 4 3-note chords, slappin' em together, and strumming them in a boring rhythm.

First, you can write songs with more than 4 chords. Maybe you could try it? Not only that, there's more to writing a song than coming up with a riff or a chord progression and just going. There's other things to take into account, things like melody, dynamics, rhythm, harmony, overall message. If you just grab a guitar, play a few chords, sing whatever comes to mind at the top of your voice, well of course you don't understand the subtleties of rhythm guitar. And to the guy who said songs that are only made up of chords lack identity, well, you're an idiot for even thinking that. Pretty much every song has a chord progression if you strip out some of the things that are in the way and just play the melody, sometimes the chords just aren't played. You can always figure out a chord progression for a melody, unless it's atonal art-rock garbage that sucks.

Second, rhythm guitar doesn't mean you're just playing chords. I fingerpick, play riffs that lead into a progression, or just play some stupid riff all the time. I do all sorts of stuff. It varies.

Third, it can be just as hard to come up with a pleasing, unique chord progression as it is to play lead. There are more than 7 major and minor chords, just as there are more scales than I know how to count. I don't belittle your style of play by saying "Yeah, it's pretty easy to play lead... just throw on some distortion, play around on the pentatonic scales. I guess it's boring. You're all boring guitarists!"

Respect!
about guitar:
1. Easy to start playing. Learn a few chord shapes and sing along and you've already got something performable without much effort
2. Not so easy to get seriously good at.

just a thought.
Quote by cokeisbetter
Well, just playing your regular four chords can get sorta boring. It's perfectly fine and musical, but after a while people are gonna want more than just your simple parts.

Rythm guitar can be extremely interesting to listen to. Hendrix was essentially a rythm guitarist. His talent lay more in his understanding of the makeup of chords than in his solos. A talent with rythm guitar is also essential to any good extended jam. The Grateful Dead or the Allman Brothers could improvise extensively over short progressions without becoming dull. If you're serious in saying that you want to be a rythm guitarist, you have to spend as much time learning to make interesting parts as a lead guitarist. You ought to be familiar with the voicings of common chord types, and the extensions you can put to them to add tension or interest, which means that you need to know scales as well or better than a lead player. Make no mistake: rythm playing in good music is not the easy way out, but it is worthwhile to understand.
Quote by crazydiamond73
You, my friend, are a genius.
I guess I will take more notice into what I actually title myself as. Thankyou guys!