So here's the deal. I'm in a "band" that is mostly me and a really good friend. We've been playing together for around a year and it's been pretty good. I'm the guitar player and he's the bassist/ vocalist.
Recently we dragged my step-brother in at drums and he's not very good. He's not very committed but he shows some promise for not playing for very long.

1. Should we tutor him and help him get better even if he drags the two of us down a little? By the way it would take probably up to a year to find a replacement.

2. I write songs all the time. Ideas just pop into my head. I've wrote around 6 whole songs for guitar. Complete ideas not just this is what I kind of want to do riffs.
My band does ONE original. I had to literal jam the song down my friends throat to get him to write anything.
So HERE is the question, is there a way to get him to write? all he is interested in doing now is covering Nirvana songs no one has ever heard of or RHCP which he can hardly play and sing at the same time.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

if hes not commited then it doesnt matter how amazing or completely sucky he is, kick him out
....../ `---____________|] ~~~bang!
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_____.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
well 1. it's him or nothing 2. He's committed just not as much as i would like him to be. plus my step-dad is a drummer with 30 something years of experience and helping him so he should come out pretty good...
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

Well i had a similair thing with my band between 2 memebers my drummer and lead/rhythm guitarist my guitarist was obsessed with ozzy's solo career and basically avenged sevenfold and metal ingeneral problem was that our band is not a metal band in total. we davel in many areas ranging from blues to oprotic things in our music but anyway he insisted that we do crazy train, over the mountain, no more tears and basically have our entire show be an ozzy cover hour. he refused to change his ways...needless to say we kicked him out. Then my drummer is just way to much into video games/comp games its too much really but its not like he didnt play drums he just took a big break from making stuff up and writing songs so confrontation made him realize what was happening and he's pretty much back to normal

Personally i feel that you should just kick the guy out if he doesnt want to write songs otherwise you'll have no progress which i know once a band is in a rut it takes quite a while to get out.
the problem is i can't find another bassist or drummer and the bassist is a good friend. He CAN write. Our one original is actually fairly good and one of our stronger songs. I'd record it and put it online but I don't have the right equipment.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP

Are you the leader? If so, just start playing some new riff and ask them to add something. Jamming really. But instead of just goin with the jam, single out stuff that sounds good and play it again, then add to it.
That's what happened with our original. The problem is most of the time I show them my stuff in kind of an off hand sort of way the just screw around and not really do anything.

EDIT: also I'm definetly not kicking the bassist out of the band. He's mostly a vocalist but he's been playing bass for around 3 months and he's made loads of progress. I think he might have real talent at bass as long as we find a new singer. It might help that he's getting lessons from his dad who is known as one of the best bassist in my area.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP

Last edited by RHCPKicksA$$ at Jul 4, 2006,
Well just be more forward and pressure them more. And like i said it may be hard but you'l just have to sift through all the umm "screwing" and make em play it again. Have you considered dictator classes? Its not gonna happen unless you're clear and firm with them.

And yeah RHCP does kick ass. And i said firm, forward and pressure way too much...
I love RHCP to but come on, more than half of our songs are Red Hot Chili Peppers and most of them are from Stadium Arcadium which won't really get crowds into it since they don't know it yet.

Thanks for the advise. I think I have an idea though. I'll record my songs on a cassette and write the chord progressions for each song on a piece of paper and give it to him. Then tell him to actually listen to it.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP

woah, if ur trying to play rhcp, look at tis from the bassists point of view. How the hell is he expected to sing and play rhcp at the same time? Flea makes the most difficult riffs!
HE picked the songs its basically his band but Ive been playing longer.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP