A hoi hoi,

I am new to the forums, and I have been playing guitar for about 8 months, I too went through the Ashton guitar phase. So for the past two months I've been searching for a new guitar.

I originally wanted to get an Epiphone G-400, but my friend have one and its nice and all, but I dont want to get the same as he has (if you get what I mean?) but the other day during my holiday travels, I went into a music store and had a play on the Squire Tele Thinline master, it sounded pretty good unplugged as well as plugged in. I was using a Marshall 100 Amp (I don't know the model number sorry) which is probably why it sounded so good as well.

I had a look at the specs when I got home and noticed it had Duncan pickups, I ebayed duncan pickups to see if they were any good, I got a hits ranging between $100 and $600 so I thought they must have been good. I then asked my friend what he thought of Squire's and he said that they were all terrible guitars. I had a look on here and found the Squire FAQ and also saw that they were crap.

Seeing that thread, I searched for an alternative, the Epiphone Archtop series, seeing as though my budget is pretty tight, working at KFC part time and all, I don't have that much money.

I'm looking to spend at the maximum of $750AUD, on a semi electric guitar.

Has anyone had any experience playing either of these guitars? And would someone be able to reccomend which one is better please?
Which Epi? What styles of music do you play? What amp do you have?
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
what style of music do you play. If you are looking for an ecclectic guitar a strat style is the way to go... if all you want to do is shred... then you may need to be looking elsewhere.

Epiphones are good guitars (don't let others talk you out of that fact), but the arch top (if i'm remembering this correctly) is a hollowbody... mostly a Jazz guitar. while sweet sounding there are certain aspects of hollowbodies you my not be versed in. namely feedback at higher volumes. The Ibanez artcore, and Most Gretschs have issues with this that are easily fixed (don't stand in front of the amp).

Another issue is what kind of amp are you playing through? This is important because the amp shapes your tone...

Squires don't all suck.. but they are a beginers guitar. A person can quickly outgrow them, so as a rule i don't recommend them to people. If you are lookig for a strat style guitar without breaking the bank try Xaviere guitars... they are made to very high tolerances.

there are many guitars in your pricerange that are decent guitars. Yamaha makes pretty decent beginning and intermediate guitars in your price range (i own one and i still find time to play it)

Look into Epiphones, yamaha, Ibenez, Xaviere, washburn, and if you can find some used ones in the price range fender, esp (shredders delight), gibson......
^I think he means a semi-hollow Epi, not a jazzbox (although the Epi Joe Pass model is pretty neat).
Quote by YoungPilgrim
^I think he means a semi-hollow Epi, not a jazzbox (although the Epi Joe Pass model is pretty neat).

I didn't even think about the LesPaul Epi's. Nice guitars...

the Epi Les Pauls aren't chambered so they are for all intents and purposes a solid body... no feedback issues..
amp: is currently a ****ty Ashton one, but is to be replaced by a Line 6 spider 30 or a Marshall MG30DFX.

I play old rock (AC/DC, cold chisel, guns n roses) new rock ( nickelback, etc) and metal.

Why I chose a semi was cause I also wanted to get an acoustic guitar but then thought I might as well get a good semi cause then it does both.

The epiphones I was looking at were: Dot studio and the Dot (which is just under my budget )
Go for at least the Dot.

BUt for amps don't get the MG30DFX they aren't very good there are much better amps in that price range.
Member #15 of the I Love Hayley Williams Club PM Gibson_SG_uzr55 to Join

EMO DEFENDER #10

i love you dude! (in a non-gay way)
go for the dot not the studio, the studio is pretty poor compared to the dot which is only a little more money wise. But i would recommend that you dont get the marshall or the line 6, if i where you i would look in to getting a vox or summit like that?
......keeping down the underground
Quote by hylian_231

Why I chose a semi was cause I also wanted to get an acoustic guitar but then thought I might as well get a good semi cause then it does both.

A semi-hollow won't act as an acoustic, it has a solid block of wood in the center. It will be louder unplugged than a solidbody electric but not as loud as an acoustic.

Of the two guitars you're looking at I recommend the DOT, but there are better semi-hollows in that price range.
For an amp go for a vox ad15vt or ad30vt, they are real cheap and are awesome for classic rock and such like. As for the guitar, i'd say a cheaper epi archtop of a kind may be bettter setup than a squire, but with the squire you could always change the pickups and get a fairly decent guitar.
Hi i would have 2 say if your looking round the $700 mark 4 an archtop semi look no further than the Ibanez Artcore Series. I searched for months trying Epi dots, Gretch, Samik, Gibsons etc, etc Finally i settled on the Ibanez AFS77TMG they come in a fairly wide range of color schemes. & 2 b honest I could not pay at least $1000.oo more for another guitar that didnt play any better. These guitars play way out of their price bracket. Some of the more expensive guitars in my opinion didnt play nearly a good as the Artcore's i.e. Epi Dot. what a cheap piece of junk "in comparison" Just my opinion
TRY 1 B4 u decide well worth the effort.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
I know what you mean about those squier teles. I have always hated squiers but my friend has one of those that your talking about, they're awesome, i love them, not only do they play great but they sound really good, my friend thinks so too and until that guitar he exclusively played 3k les pauls, he bought the squier for about $160 brand new, lol, its weird how that stuff works out, i dont play epiphones so i cant comment on them but as embarrassed as i am to be saying this i would reccomend the squier tele.
That thinline tele is decent (not good just decent) but for $700 couldn't you just get the Mexican version?? It be alot better than the Squire (personal experience). What's the markup there (compared to the MSRP in USD). I know for Canada it's actually generally the same or lower than the US MSRP. So, unless the markup in Australia is double or triple what the US MSRP is, get the Mexican Fender Thinline Telecaster. If not, get a Les Paul (try for an Elitist, but that's really streching it). And FYI, the pickups in the squire are Duncan Designed, so they are not worth the $100-$600 you said you saw on E-bay. And never use E-bay as a standard, cause you either get great deals (friend found a REAL Gibson SG Standard for $250), or you get ripped off (new Duncan pickups run you about $100-$150 EACH).

Edit: Oh, I forgot, DO NOT GET A MARSHALL MG!!! It sounds like ****!! I agree with the people here that are telling you to get a VOX AD15 or AD30 (I think that's what they are called). Either that or a Traynor Tube 30, those are nice little amps.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Changed my mind, semi isn't really what I'm looking for, played a DOT today and another semi, and they just didnt seem right to what i was looking for. My mate has a nice Goth Les Paul Epiphone Studio, played it and its what im looking for, so that's what I'm going for, pickups will most likely be changed later.

I will probably just pick up an acoustic in a few months or so.

As for the amp, the VOX AD30VT amp looks great, its only $40 more than the Spider so I'm happy with that.

Danke
Good choice on the amp mate!

And try a few Epi LP Standards, see what you think of them before you buy a Goth studio
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
To be honest I like the look of those Xaviere strats! Shame I live in the UK though.

A les paul would be PERFECT for what you want to do. Check out a Les Paul Standard first though.