ok, lets just imagine that there are no other varriables except the following: One amp is a 100W 2x12, the other is 120W 2x10. Which would be louder?
speaker size is not proportional to volume.

the size of the speaker means different dynamics to different frequencies.

a 12" speaker will have a nice deep sound on the mids...

a 10" speaker will be more punchy instead of that rolling bass.

a 15" speaker will compete with those stupid cars you can hear a mile up the road.
not for a bassist..

Truthfully, one of the biggest problems with bands is figureing out how to please everyone volumewise...

The drummer is going to be loud... it can't be helped...

The bassist should be about as loud as the drums, maybe a little less..

The guitarist depending on the part being played should be around the drummer's volume unless he's doing leads.... then it should be the loudest....

The singer should be the loudest of the bunch... unless it's a lead break..

By the way.. this is just my opinion...
that makes sense to me, my band, The Coldcuts, are just starting to get out there and get some shows scheduled. I'm the rythym guitarist. Our lead guitarist has the fender FM 212R combo, our bassist is about to buy a 300W 1x15 behringer amp, and I'm going to buy a line 6 spider. I know what people say about how the spider sounds like crap, but by now I've realized that theres no SS amps everyone likes. I borrowed my friends 1x12 spider for our last show and I got an awesome sound out of it, which conviced me to buy one. I want a little more power out of it so now I'm just trying to decide if I should get the 2x10 120W or pay 100 bucks more for 2x12 150 watts. Any thoughts?
I beg to differ. I have a Fender Power Chorus which is solid state and it has a very warm and distinctive clean sound (not to mention the absolute warmest chorus i've ever seen packaged with any amp)... it's distortion sucks but that's fender for you....

I looked at the Fender FM212, and absolutely hated it. it was sterile and lacked and depth.

My Power chorus blew on me so i took it to the shop to get fixed. I decided that since it was going to be there for a month or so, i'd pick up an elcheapo amp to get me by till it got fixed, so i dropped money on the Line 6 spider2 30watt. from day one i regretted it, and now i'm stuck with it... nobody want's it... i've even tried giving it away...

when i got the powerchorus back, after a week it blew again, so i sent it to the shop, and while it was getting fixed i ended up doing some serious amp shopping. My Money limit was $1000.00, so after about 3 weeks of testing every amp i could get my hands on, i ended up with a B52 AT-100 212. It is by far the best, most versitile amp i have ever owned. i liked it so much i ended up giving the powerchorus to my dad (he plays a fender bandmaster) but he likes backups.
Quote by zstein892
I want a little more power out of it so now I'm just trying to decide if I should get the 2x10 120W or pay 100 bucks more for 2x12 150 watts. Any thoughts?

If i were you... i'd stay far away from Line6 amps... they are too sterile, no warmth, and the effects aren't that great. Look into the Peavy Valveking for affordable tube amps.... if it's solid state you're after... there are some Marshalls the MG series that sound better than Line6. Roland makes a decent SS (although i'm not their biggest fan)....

When in doubt... test them to see what you like. seriously...when at the store i thought my spider 2 sounded decent.. when i got it home, i couldn't find a decent setting on it to save my life...