yeah, Ive heard a few of their songs, Lucky Man, BitterSweet Symphony, The Drugs Dont Work, and they seem alright, anyone else have any thoughts on them?
"Acid was my favorite drug, it expanded my mind, when I was on acid, I realized a lot of things...like butter is way better than margarine, I saw through the bullshit"-Mitch Hedberg

when asked the uses of a pick
Quote by 4e574e57363g
masturbation device
Well, you've heard their most popular songs. It's quite likely that you'll find that one of those three stays your favourite despite how many different tracks you hear. If you like those songs you'd definately do best getting Urban Hymns.

Some of the album tracks are great - Sonnet, Space and Time and Weeping Willow (my personal fave Verve track) are fantastic. I really like it, I think its a great album from start to finish, but a lot of people seem to think that quite a lot of the songs are filler.
i saw richard ashcroft live and it was as good as when i saw the eagles and green day! if not better! his energy is great. he played loads verve classics too, which was mental - he played sonnet first!!!

the verve are one of my favorite bands - nick mccabe is a genious, and so is ashcroft.

check out history - its as good as anything on urban hymns in my opinion!
yeah i've seen him live too, was great. he did a 20 minute version of bittersweet symphony.
Also you could get The Verve - The Singles. Its all there releases
The Verve are a great band. They influenced the late 90's britpop scene and have created some amazing music in their time. Urban Hymns is a must have album if you are even remotely interested in them, it is one of my favourite britpop albums.

The Verve's singer Richard Ashcroft has produced 3 albums since the band split up.
Alone With Everybody, Human Conditions & Keys To The World (released this year). Try some of his work if you get sick of The Verve.
#1 member of the Oasis fan club. PM me to join
I like some of the earlier Verve work too. It's a lot less Britpop and verges on Shoegaze type stuff. Very nice.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Can't believe I missed this first time round,

These guys have saved my sanity out here in Switzerland, have got Urban Hymns on permanently in the car, and Northern Soul on permanently at home

I'd not listened to Urban Hymns in yaaaaaaars, always *known* it was good, so no need to listen to it sort of thing. I'd forgotten how great Space And Time, One Day and Come On are.

Agree with Caustic as well, they're definitely one of the bands that transcends the "britpop sound", I'm by no means a shoegaze expert lol, but yeah that seems like a very accurate comparison to me
AWESOME band. I prefer the psychadelic stuff before they went all poppy and sold out though...Try "A Storm In Heaven" and "Verve EP" for some great listens.
Quote by gallagher2006
AWESOME band. I prefer the psychadelic stuff before they went all poppy and sold out though...Try "A Storm In Heaven" and "Verve EP" for some great listens.

+1.

I was severely disappointed when they gave all that up to ape Oasis. A Storm In Heaven was the greatest album they ever released. Northern Soul was a pretty nice balance between their spacey past and the new poppy direction they were heading in, but Urban Hymns, while being okay, feels like an album of filler to support a couple of britpop singles.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I used to set my alarm to play "Bittersweet Symphony" as I woke up and got dressed in the morning.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I have Urban Hymns.

I've been itching to get A Northern Soul, but I really don't have money.
Sent from my iPad.
You should definitely check out Urban Hymns in full, and Northern Soul if you get chance to. The earlier stuff isn't that similar to the two you mentioned, but it is phenomenal stuff - just different
The earlier stuff is a world apart (and leagues above) the Urban Hymns material. I love all their albums, but Hymns feels shallow coming from the Verve, simply because it's really not the Verve.
True in many ways, but given the stuff that he's heard and liked, Hymns is a much more common-sense start point. Then get into the early stuff off the back of tracks like Velvet Morning and/or Neon Wilderness...
Quote by tezhall
True in many ways, but given the stuff that he's heard and liked, Hymns is a much more common-sense start point. Then get into the early stuff off the back of tracks like Velvet Morning and/or Neon Wilderness...

Well, it's the Verve the general public know, but I don't know if it's a great starting point. Maybe A Northern Soul would be better, simply because it's a sort of transitional album... someone listening to Urban Hymns, then listening to the Verve EP will feel like they got tipped out of bed into a pond of cold water.
Quote by Caustic
The earlier stuff is a world apart (and leagues above) the Urban Hymns material. I love all their albums, but Hymns feels shallow coming from the Verve, simply because it's really not the Verve.

Its not Nick McCabe at his most prominant, thats the difference with later Verve. I still say Urban Hymns is one of the greatest albums of the 90's, even more so when you understand a lot about how the band were interacting when they recorded it.

Their earlier work is for Verve purists, and while i do love it aswell i still think Urban Hymns is damn good album.
Quote by Caustic
Well, it's the Verve the general public know, but I don't know if it's a great starting point. Maybe A Northern Soul would be better, simply because it's a sort of transitional album... someone listening to Urban Hymns, then listening to the Verve EP will feel like they got tipped out of bed into a pond of cold water.

I see the point, but if someone came to me and said that they like Just and High And Dry, I'd then suggest that they get into Radiohead via The Bends and listen to the rest of that, and then OKC, and then progress on through to the rest. Or if someone has only heard Float On, then the easiest way for someone to access Modest Mouse would be by getting in through Good News, and then work from there.

In the same way, if someone came in here and said "Wow I heard Slide Away and Blue, I love them, what else should I get" then I'd be pointing them straight at Storm In Heaven, and they can expand from something similar to what they've heard and liked.
Fair point. I guess it comes down to approach. If I hear a song I like by a band I've not heard, instead of buying the album it's on, I look for the best representation of that bands style. Just the way I work, I guess.
I never really could get into the Verve. I don't really like "Urban Hymns" that much. I mean, it's not bad, but I don't find myself wanting to listen to it in my free time.
WE ARE...PENN STATE
Really good band live.. I'm not really that into them but saw them at T and the style of a lot of their songs really shocked me! I've been meaning to buy one of their albums.

What would you suggest I start with?
Quote by ttreat31
So, what do you guys think of their new single Love is Noise?

I love it. Still need to get my hands on the new album though
Quote by soundcheck1
Really good band live.. I'm not really that into them but saw them at T and the style of a lot of their songs really shocked me! I've been meaning to buy one of their albums.

What would you suggest I start with?

Urban Hymns
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Love Is Noise is a good song, but my friend has the album and tells me that the rest is kind of a drag.
Any opinions about the new album?

I've been listening to it a lot lately and I think it's a good album. Maybe not The Verve at their best but tracks like 'rather be', 'valium skies' and 'I see houses' make it worth buying. The only problem is that the record has a couple of quite weak songs that make it hard to listen as a whole.
Every album is great, but I'm not so elated about their recent album. I am a big fan of the Verve and obscure Britpop bands, as well as material not many people have heard. The Verve is one of those underrated bands.