I always notice that there are solos that fit so well in songs, I think I've heard it's because those solos are in the same scales of the key of the song or something like that .. Could you explain what the key of a song is and explain me a few "keys" .. I barely know about music theory .. Thanks in advance
I also know nothing about scales & modes .. I always here these things : I think it's in the E blues minor pentatonic lyxodian :PP .. could you explain those to me (what is a pentatonic minor or major, what scales there are, what types of scales, how do I know when it's a certain scale,etc.) or give me a not-so-hard-to-understand webpage .. Thanks in advance too..
Last edited by l0ft at Jul 4, 2006,
A key of a song is basically the first note or chord in that particular part of the song.
So say the chords in the song go C, Am, Em, G...the key would be in C major.

From there you need to know a bit about scales and how they fit into all of this. Essentially they are a group of notes that fit in with your key. If your key is in C major for instance, naturally all of the notes in that chord will be in that scale.

From there I find it helps to know what other chords/notes are being played in the rhythm.
So if we go back to that C, Am, Em, G chord progression you have quite a number of different notes that will fit in there.
Of course, this is just a basic outline of how a scale in key can be created for a song.
The key is the focal point and center of gravity of a song - established by a particular chord progression which establish the key through functional harmony.

Don't confuse scales with key - A scale is a set of notes that are used in a key.

As for your second question - Try CyberFret.
Study the circle of fifths. You can find it anywhere on the internet, it might take you an hour to study, and then you'll understand keys to a tee.
It's actually a very simple concept once you've spent some time looking at it.
Quote by MisinformingYou
Study the circle of fifths. You can find it anywhere on the internet, it might take you an hour to study, and then you'll understand keys to a tee.
It's actually a very simple concept once you've spent some time looking at it.
The circle of fifths deals more with key signatures and modulation than figuring out what key a song is in if you have the chords, does it not?
for your solo question, the musician usually is playing the minor pentatonic scale of that key, or a mode off of that key. just look up the minor pentatonic scale patterns and move them to each key you are playing in to start getting a solo that 'fits' with the song, because all the notes were made to fit. then you have to make sure you always resolve to the root note, or the third or fifth of that note inside the scale so it resolves correctly. but basically all they are doing is staying in a scale for that key of the song so it fits. pretty simple
i think u should learn basic major scales before playing serious solos of your own.
i need to get a better signature.