So, as I've finally got off my lazy British arse and got a job, I've got a bit more money to throw around. I was looking at my guitar setup and thought 'god I need a new guitar... and a new amp'... which brings me to the point of this thread. ('Aint it nice to know you've wasted part of your life reading that? )

My current setup is:

Ibanez GRG170DX
Boss ME-50
Randall RG50TC

I play in a goth punk band, and I'm looking for a very heavy sound with lots of low-end and a lot of crunch. A few people have said that a solid-state amp would get me more of that low-end crunch than a tube amp, which has lead me to this amp:

http://www.andertonsonline.co.uk/acatalog/info%5fRH100XG2%2ehtml

with this cab:

http://www.andertonsonline.co.uk/acatalog/info%5fRS412XJM%2ehtml

In terms of a guitar, I have no idea. I'd prefer a fixed bridge over a trem, because trems just drive me mad. I'd probably put a Duncan Distortion in the bridge and a Duncan '59 in the neck... even though I barely ever use the neck pickup 'cept for the rare occasion that I turn the distortion off!

So... suggestions?

Remember to take into account that I live in the UK- everything's priced differently here so conversion rates mean nothing!
a tube amp would kill a solid state aslong as it has enough grunt if it doesnt add a booster/ distortion
if you're in the uk it should be easy enough to try out an Ashdown Fallen Angel, which is supposed to be pretty alright. goth punk? heavy sound? try a Laney 100 Watt tube amp - they're supposed to be heavy as **** (opeth use them) and Laney is British as far as i can remember so it might even be cheaper in the uk.
i always prefer a tube amp to a solid state just because of the way they interact with the guitar (do some research, im not a ****ing science teacher). if you really want a solid state randalls are a good choice but stay away from solid state marshalls, crates and such as they tend to just sound crappy.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Quote by suicidalmoose
if you're in the uk it should be easy enough to try out an Ashdown Fallen Angel, which is supposed to be pretty alright. goth punk? heavy sound? try a Laney 100 Watt tube amp - they're supposed to be heavy as **** (opeth use them) and Laney is British as far as i can remember so it might even be cheaper in the uk.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=372

They are indeed pretty damn cheap
Any chance of some more advice (especially regarding the guitar!) before this thread slowly fades away?

Is the Tony Iommi amp a good choice?
hmmm... not sure. for the amp I'm willing to save for/pay in monthly 'chunks' £600. About £300-400 for a guitar I'd say. Maybe a cheaper amp. Not sure. Preferably about £400 for each. I'd prefer a half stack over a combo.
If you really haven't played with a tube amp you're in for a surprise. I have a kustom 100 watt SS amp with 2x12 combo and it rocks. Not bad for a cheap amp but I bought an epiphone 5 watt tube amp and I only got one word for it.

Sweeeet!

I was amazed at the tone I'm getting from this amp and found out about the volume knob that go from clean to crunch to distorted sounds. I can imagine what a bigger and better built tube amp gonna sound.

Reminded me about the concerts, live with the good stuff!

Funny thing is when I got back around playing with my ss amp it has its merits and I'm finding out more about music.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by OldRocker
If you really haven't played with a tube amp you're in for a surprise. I have a kustom 100 watt SS amp with 2x12 combo and it rocks. Not bad for a cheap amp but I bought an epiphone 5 watt tube amp and I only got one word for it.

Sweeeet!

I was amazed at the tone I'm getting from this amp and found out about the volume knob that go from clean to crunch to distorted sounds. I can imagine what a bigger and better built tube amp gonna sound.

Reminded me about the concerts, live with the good stuff!

Funny thing is when I got back around playing with my ss amp it has its merits and I'm finding out more about music.

Did you get the head or combo version of the Valve Junior? I bought the combo and could not get a good overdriven sound out of it.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by SamDking
Did you get the head or combo version of the Valve Junior? I bought the combo and could not get a good overdriven sound out of it.

I got a combo and you need a pedal because the valve jr only got a volume knob. You balance the volume of the amp and the functions of the pedal. I got lots of sweet tones with my zoom 606 and the valve jr which are cleans and overdrives. I have patches programmed for using with my kustom 100 watt ss amp and on the jr it sucked. The jr needs its own patches. Once you worked with your pedal(s) you jr will be sweet.

In comparison, my kustom amp sounds flat but it rocks on its own.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
I have a Randall RG75G2... It's a great amp, I fooled around with Contour and some other stuff, and I got a really deep sound, cranked it to nearly max, and you could hear it 6 blocks away!
^ I've got a Zoom 606 pedal and tbh it didn't sound any different on the Valve Junior than it did on my Cube. It all sounds very digital. I tried whacking the OD-3 onto the VJ at full volume (the usual - gain down, level up) and if anything it just made it worse. The same harsh quality, just louder :p

Maybe I got a dud.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
dual or single rectifier if you can afford one. so bassy and chunky mmmmmmmmm chunky

as far as guitars go i have no clue
Quote by SamDking
^ I've got a Zoom 606 pedal and tbh it didn't sound any different on the Valve Junior than it did on my Cube. It all sounds very digital. I tried whacking the OD-3 onto the VJ at full volume (the usual - gain down, level up) and if anything it just made it worse. The same harsh quality, just louder :p

Maybe I got a dud.

What tubes you got in it? I put an unbranded ecc83 tube in my preamp and it's dirtier sounding which is great for overdriving. More gain too.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
The Ibanez SZs definately catch my eye... what about an RG321? (I really like the RG shape)
Stock tubes. I was so dissapointed with the sound I decided to just return it rather than wasting more money trying to get it better. I've still got it because I haven't heard from GAK yet about returning it.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by SamDking
Stock tubes. I was so dissapointed with the sound I decided to just return it rather than wasting more money trying to get it better. I've still got it because I haven't heard from GAK yet about returning it.

Most likely sovtek tubes which are russian made and cheap.

Not many people are satisfied with the jr but I'm happy with it. I plan to get groove tubes for mine. I don't gig but I play at my friend's shop where everybody gathered and drink. They always want me to play surf guitar and early 60s but I get the urge to play hard rock and metal and I'll play them too.

So far nobody complained.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Tony Iommi's signature Epi SG's caught my eye too... looks like it's got all the kinda stuff I'd want. Gives me more money for the amp too (the Laney half stack methinks!).
THe Iommi sig is a great guitar. It'd be pretty good for your style of music, probably.

YOu could also look at the Laney VH100r. It's a nice amp.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music