Its the stage in which the sound of your amp is made. It has the treble, mid, bass, gain, etc. You can buy a seperate preamp and a seperate power amp, put both together, and connect to a cab/speaker.
I still don't get the use of a pre-amp

Should I get a cheapo plastic one for my cube 30 to experiment>
Your Cube 30 has a pre-amp already built into it. A pre-amp is what shapes the sound by changing the equalizer.

What you are thinking of I think, is a multi effects pedal. This can be used as a pre-amp but you would usually just put it in front of your amp.
pre amp is what gets you your distortion and how jmac said, it gives your tonal characteristics and balls (or lack of, if thats what your into). then the pre amp sends the signal to the power amp which just basically makes it loud
Yea. Combo amps and amp heads both have preamps and poweramps. Preamps and poweramps come seperate and you can use them in a rack system. The rack system then connects to a cab/speakers.
the line 6 pod xt is a preamp, and you would as already told need a power amp( like the mesa 2: 90) to get a sound out of it.
My cube 30w only has a 3-band-EQ system.

I want to to have a much wider band (like..5, bass, low mids, high mids, treble etc)

So should I bother getting a cheap plastic pre-amp?
thats an eq that your talking about. preamps give the specific sound. you can get marshall preamps that are the circuit of marshall, except they dont give off any sound. if you buy a power amp and connect the preamp and the power amp with a cab, it will be pretty much the same as a marshall head and cab. you cant just get cheap plastic preamps. they arents little things. they are things that go into a rack system, and you cant just put a preamp through a combo amp.
Stop confusing him.. seriously. The main job for a preamp is to AMPLIFY a low level signal to be heard by your ears. Stop talking about EQ, EQ comes AFTER the preamp stage on most devices.

Since your amp has a preamp built in, you wouldnt need one. Youd need one if you wanted to attach it to a power amp [of which your amp already has] for another setup. Dont even worry about this right now..

Another example of a preamp is the one inside of mixers. The cheap plastic preamp youre talking about is simply used for recording purposes.. to boost a mic signal or a line level signal of a guitar or bass. If not, then youre talking about a multi effects pedal

If you want to shape your tone then you want an EQ pedal, not a preamp.

Quote by call1800ksmyazz
you cant just get cheap plastic preamps. they arents little things. they are things that go into a rack system, and you cant just put a preamp through a combo amp.

There are plenty of types of preamps. Mic preamps can be cheap and plastic..
B-52 AT-100 -> Marshall 1936 -> Eastwood Johnny Ramone Elite
Last edited by vizo at Jul 5, 2006,
Ahh, thanks for clearing that up, vizo.

What are some super cheap EQ pedals that work really well with around...5 bands?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar/navigation?page=1&N=100001%2B306284&Ns=P_Price%7C0

^ EQs sorted by price, low to high

Ive heard good things about the Danelectro EQ, most people here will say otherwise just to follow along without even trying it first, but go try it out at your local guitar stores first. The next after that would be the MXR, which isnt bad. Most people will probably recommend the Boss, but those are 100 bucks.
B-52 AT-100 -> Marshall 1936 -> Eastwood Johnny Ramone Elite