i know you cant just magically shred, it takes a long time...but i wanted to know where i should get started. if there are any video lessons maybe i could buy? also, what guitars? i know ibanez is a shred guitar, but theyre too like...mainstream for me i guess?

my neck on my guitar is too fat.
what other brands are there?
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
you can always build you own guitars. Alot of people recommend a metrenome and to work on scales till you ccan play them very fast.
i do that.
but shred is just like not just scales really fast u know? theres tapping involved, theres different things like that you know?
building my own would be too time consuming.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Ampeg 50 watt
Ask this in the shred forum, not here.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
warmoth
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
I would guess a nice Esp could help.
And for shredding in my opinion i like Mick Thompsons way a lot.
\\>Viva Los Tioz<//
start playing with a metronome at a low bpm learn what ever solo you want and slowly speed it up a good shredding solo to start is in this river by black label societybut before you speed it up make sure you know it and it sounds good it takes a while but it worth it
Jacksons are good shred guitars, in my opinion. Everyone says do straight scales and exercises, but it's your own decision. Look at the Herman Li interview, he said himself he didn't do scales and exercises and he is amazing.

You should practice solos and licks. I jumped in the deep end and started learning malmsteen to teach myself shredding. It worked effectively and I could see the difference easily.
start getting into bands where they use shredding also a mixture of styles so you can really build your finger muscles up. Progressive Metal bands are always great but most are very complex. For me i got into Dream Theater and it worked wonders on my guitar playing.
bands id recommend are:
Dream Theater,
Symphony X,
Pain Of Salvation.
These bands will also help with getting used to changing keys and time signitures but i do warn you it wont just suddenly all click as the musicans in these bands are some of the finest around
bam!
for me i use a Ibanez and it works fine but i would like to switch to the John Petrucci Music Man when im willing to spend that amount of money. to be honist it can be done on most guitars its just lots of practise
bam!
i have a les paul, with a fat neck. i shred. its not exactly the end of the world that it isnt as thin as paper.
Just learn runs, play them over again, then try them fast
"suicide hotline, please hold......."
Quote by azn_guitarist25
yep ESP is a ****ing good guitar brand

Come on dude, you know Caparison are kick ass guitars too, or at least they are up there with the ESP Custom Shop. (Seen your Avatar and on Bmusic Forums)
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
Quote by Cone 21
Come on dude, you know Caparison are kick ass guitars too, or at least they are up there with the ESP Custom Shop. (Seen your Avatar and on Bmusic Forums)

haha nother bmusic forumer so whats your name on there. btw Caparison are fully sick too
Quote by citizenerasedx
I jumped in the deep end and started learning malmsteen to teach myself shredding. It worked effectively and I could see the difference easily.

Yeah, for me that's always the best approach as well; get a good benchmark and surpass it. For me, it was Trilogy Suite. I started it at 50% (Using Guitar Pro) and in no time (2 days) I had it at 120% (I think that's about what's played on the record, GP's version seems to be a bit slower). It helped my overall speed by miles.
I suggest you get Guitar Pro, position yourself close to the computer and play; just play along to songs you want, at lower speeds, and work your way up.

Next up, Blitzkrieg!
Is guitar pro free? On topic you can shred on any guitar just practice licks with a metronome. A lot. For example I like practicing the bridge in For Whom The Bell Tolls with a metronome that helped my coordination a lot.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by azn_guitarist25
haha nother bmusic forumer so whats your name on there. btw Caparison are fully sick too

well, im not an aussie, so I never made an account on there cause dammed Bmusic don't ship outside of Austrailia, but I guess i'll make a name right now! (Cone 21)
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
I guess marty friedman isn't exactly pure jason becker shred, but his dragon kiss and cacophony stuff helped me loads with phrasing.
Quote by citizenerasedx
Jacksons are good shred guitars, in my opinion. Everyone says do straight scales and exercises, but it's your own decision. Look at the Herman Li interview, he said himself he didn't do scales and exercises and he is amazing.

He's also ridiculously boring, as is a lot of shred.
^so you have a link possibly
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

lol, you say Ibanez is too "mainstream" for you yet your screenname is that of an Avenged Sevenfold guitarist.

Anyways, them folks over at the shred forum would be able to help you. Theres a handy thread on where to start in there.

Knock yourself out:

http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 ftw!
so basically

just listen to bands with solo's.
over and over again.
for some reasons, it'll hyped you up to shred.
although it takes years just to get decent at it.
perhaps a good 5 year program ??

and so one day, i dream on becoming as good as paul gilbert and trivium duo's.
i'm sure everyone has their own inspiration to look up to and learn.
Gear:::

Schecter C1 Classic - drop C - .11's
Ibanez rg321 (emg 81/85) - drop D - .10's
----------------------
Peavey 6505+
Peavey XXX 412 cab
Crate VTX212b Combo - practice amp.
----------------------
ibanez TS9

Quote by redaxe
lol, you say Ibanez is too "mainstream" for you yet your screenname is that of an Avenged Sevenfold guitarist.

Anyways, them folks over at the shred forum would be able to help you. Theres a handy thread on where to start in there.

Knock yourself out:

http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49

haha yeah...but ive been listening to them since b4 syn was there...fool.
(sounding the seventh trumpet)
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Ampeg 50 watt
your neck on your schecter is not too fat...its the same one thats on my hellraiser and its fine
Go get your shovel.
I listened to some A7X and its not bad, its metal and with guitar solos at least, unlike some numetal ****. I hear alot of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest in thier playing. Twin axe attack is always gonna be cool.
yes...thats why i wish i was alive in the 80's, cause every rock band was good just about. ozzy, maiden, motley crue!!!! etc.

but how should i start to "shred"...seems like a stupid question to me?
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Ampeg 50 watt
im passed that stuff. i know all the modes (im pretty sure) and a bunch of scales..ive been practicing doing them since a started (a year ago)..and same with alternate picking, i cant really remember a time when i didnt alt. pick, besides the first week or so.
i make up my own exercises to do and stuff like go up a scale 4 notes, then go to the next scale and play 4 notes, then the next scale in a certain key. and stuff like that so is that all? i basically didnt need to ask this question?
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Ampeg 50 watt
Im toooo lazy to read through all of the these sooo
what i did is learned scales, well not really, but if you learn scales, you can play them very fast, what i mean is that i octaved them, and i just go up and down a scale as fast as i can, not playing sloppily. Then i will improvise some bends in there. www.worldguitar.com has some scales that i used. Then i also learned some basics to sweep picking, Very veryy cool to do. I just learned the "major" nad "minor" from the ug lesson, or pick n grin vid or wutever. I also, add a bit of delay to my "shredding" Sounds cool to me, also i always, ALWAYS use my neck pickup!
God Am's Guide To Shredding

Step 1 - Travel to a crossroad.

Step 2 - Sell your soul to the devil.

...What? It worked for Robert Johnson.
yea i did too in my old guitar and it sounds really cool, almost like an arcade game going off...but on my new guitar, it takes away from the gain and volume, i need to have that checked out, might upgrade the neck p.u.p. to a seymour or dimarzio, and then either a dimarzio, emg 85 or 81 (idk which is better for bridge) or seymour duncan.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Ampeg 50 watt
Quote by God Am
God Am's Guide To Shredding

Step 1 - Travel to a crossroad.