Being the main "front man" for my band I always love being a complete fool on stage and grabbin as much attention as possible where as my guitarist and other guitarist/drummer prefer to just stay still. So here's my question, what if any tricks do you use to get attention on stage? Here's my list :

1. Bass Spinning/Whirliggig - I practiced for so long on the this and just to make it even more dangerous my locks are crap
2. Jumping and Spinning (alla Fall Out Boy) - I do it so much cooler though, and I can carry on playing too, I just get a bit tangled up in the leads

However me and the guys do have two stage tricks we all do together:

1. Million Ways - we fell onto the Ok Go bandwagon and perform the dance live with a pre recorded version of million ways (done by us), we dont have sales for gigs so we dont make money either, no law suit here
2. The "Ok Go" Stop - If you've ever seen the video for Get Over It, you'll remember when the whole band jumps, then the music stops and shows them playing ping pong? We do that....sad i know but its funny. But we have to use badminton rackets and a shuttle ****

So tell me what you and you're band do, share you're ideas
Songs working on :

Nitelife
hmm my favorite trick is sounding good...

but i agree with the duck walk... and doing a knee slide never hurts
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Stop playing, 2 seconds dont move, then jump and when reach the ground again, the start to play again.
\\>Viva Los Tioz<//
have some naked chick run around on stage, always grabs a bit of attention
songs: Left Behind choices
Quote by MadClownDisease
Well I can top you all, I've done my mum, my step brother AND a cat. As well as quite a few corpses.
i just play good music and let them know im playing it
Quote by Adam_G
I think it's appropriate for you to walk outside and get some sunlight and maybe a life

Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl annoying me on the bus.
Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"
Her:"What??! Noo!"
Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."
When I play just the root/5th, and I dont bare the entire chord...pretty cool...p.s. dont tell anyone.
It's about context and setting. It depends on the music. If it's a quiet song, yeah, keep it quiet.

If you're leaping about exuberantly while your band prefers to sit there... you look out of place and idiotic.
and thus the reason im the popular freak! nah but i just get bored, so i have to do something. when it comes down to its coz im way more experienced than the rest of my band
Songs working on :

Nitelife
My favorite trick is to play accurately, appropriately and in time.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Hell, I'm not giving away my secrets!

Playing with my teeth or behind my head, etc, works pretty well for me.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
I do this.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdC9Lph3AGw

gets a butt load of cheers and (?) marks in the air. lol... gotta love Morello
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Last edited by guitarrocka205 at Jul 4, 2006,
^that's awesome i wish i could do that w/out loads of feedback.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

Quote by guitarrocka205
I do this.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdC9Lph3AGw

gets a butt load of cheers and (?) marks in the air. lol... gotta love Morello

I agree. Tom is amazing with the way he uses his guitar in ways nobody else does. It makes it a little difficult playing Rage covers though, because you'll never get the exact sounds he does.
Guitars
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Fender Standard Strat (w SD JB Humbucker in bridge)
Squire Strat
Amps
Marshall TSL 60 Head
1960A Cab
Line 6 Spider II 112
Rack
Korg DT-1 Tuner
DBX Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I am done with tricks, thank goodness.

I don't mind jumping around every now and then, but that's not really a trick. I started realizing a few months ago that the best guitarists I know don't have to do these tricks, and a lot of bad ones do to cover up the fact that their playing isn't too great.
The only trick I've ever pulled on stage is piano tapping lol (is that even a trick?)

anyways I'd rather put my energy into playing accurately than risk cocking up o.o
lol wtf steel knees.

I suppose i like to do tricks on stage because

1. im an attention seeker
2. i love having fun, and trying toplay in new, harder ways (behind my back)
3. i'm an attention seeker and a frontman, gets crowd going
4. did i mention i like attention?
Songs working on :

Nitelife
HA!!!! Gpb, i love yer answer man, mines pretty much the same .though sometimes i liked to use a dd5 digi delay and record a short fill solo bit on it in the middle of a song and let the dd5 play the fill over and over and let go of the guitar and look around like "wtf where is that coming from???" and then start air guitaring it, that gets a get laugh from the crowd but you really have to be VERY good with timing for it to work and i've only done it a couple times due to the difficulty in it
that sounds cool, i might try that on a bass solo
Songs working on :

Nitelife