Thoughts?
This band deserve more recognition than just being 'the band Metallica covered', IMO. I picked up their Best of album earlier today, and it has to be said that 'In the Heat of the Night' is a killer song, and Am I Evil? is a million times better than the Metallica cover.
'Sucking my Love' also gets props for having the best title of any song, ever.
http://www.myspace.com/diamondhead1
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
Last edited by chylde_of_fire at Jul 4, 2006,
i disagree. The Metallica covers of Helpless and Am I Evil? are excellent, Metallica's playing style was what those songs needed to be great.

However, Metallica murdered It's Electric and the Prince - those songs were great in NWOBHM style.

"chylde of fire", it may surprise you to know also that Metallica once covered Sucking My Love at one point too. You have to get a bootleg of the Ron McGovney's Garage Demo '82 to hear it but.

Just buy Lightning to the Nations - dont be bothered with getting a best of.
Quote by twentyextysixx
i disagree. The Metallica covers of Helpless and Am I Evil? are excellent, Metallica's playing style was what those songs needed to be great.

I never said the cover was 'bad' per se, I just feel that Hetfield's vocals don't fit the song quite as well as Harris'.
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
They didnt murder the prince, are you crazy? I admit I miss the synth though, and I agree its electric was pretty bad.
I've only heard Am I Evil by them and I have to say Metallica's is better. That is all.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Sucking My Love > Am I Evil?
i actually prefer the Metallica cover of the latter. the originals of the others they covered are better than the Metallica versions tho. i saw a video of Diamond Head playing with Metallica and wasnt overly impressed. they were aged a bit at that stage tho, mightnt have played in a while either.
There's a local Chinese restaurant in town named Diamond Head

Needless to say, when I opened this thread up all I found was disappointment...
My friend recently got a an album, "Am I Evil" and finally heard some songs other than the ones metallica covered. I must say, these are some of the catchiest riffs ever made.
Great band, very under-rated also (Metal Church anyone?).

I love Harris' voice too, though I think Hetfield did more than justice on the cover.
Does anyone know were to the Metallica cover of Sucking my Love, I know there's a bootleg or two around.
No Life 'Till Leather.

Ron McGovney's '82 Garage Demo
Last edited by The Casualty at Dec 10, 2006,
Quote by unfathomable_bo
Me too, definately one of the better NWOBHM singers

I also agree, I found his voice annoying at first but it grew on me.
Quote by The Casualty
Great band, very under-rated also (Metal Church anyone?).

Yes, Metal Church is an amazing band as well. Though i think the real underrated band of all the ones in discussion is Steppenwolf.
So... off-topic but yea, Diamond Head is a great band. And Hetfield doesn't do the vocals for Am I evil that well. It jsut doesn't suit the song as much.
Quote by krymson
Does anyone know were to the Metallica cover of Sucking my Love, I know there's a bootleg or two around.
i would say "you really dont want to hear that", but the quality is so bad that you practically CANT
Quote by The Casualty
No Life 'Till Leather.

Ron McGovney's '82 Garage Demo

Exactly.

That tape is basically Metallica's original set list. And (I think) it's the only place you can hear their cover of Sucking My Love. James sounds hilarious on this recording, he hadnt learnt to sing yet.
As a result of listing <><'s reports I was banned.

Quote by God Book
#2. Banned by theguitarist (11/03/2006) - X D

Promise to shorten your sig and you'll be unbanned. This is what you get, lol.

HA!
Quote by twentyextysixx
Exactly.

That tape is basically Metallica's original set list. And (I think) it's the only place you can hear their cover of Sucking My Love. James sounds hilarious on this recording, he hadnt learnt to sing yet.

Lol it's true, although the vocals for the mechanix demo is pretty good.
i think diamond head are awesome; none of the metallica covers are better than the originals, especially helpless - hetfield just cant sing the chorus
I actually like the metallica versions a wee bit better, except It's electric.
i liked them both, i know am i evil from the metallica cover and i must say, maybe its because im used to it but i like that one a little more than the original
every man dies, not every man really lives

Originally Posted by Guitarplaya27
god so all those weird noises on those songs were bass...

jesus christ i like them