Hello guys,

I'm a serious musician who wants to start recording. My dad used to be an active musician , and he recorded alot back in the 70's/80's. Because of this, I am fortunate to start off with some OK/decent gear, such as two SM57's. He's taught me about mic placement, etc. However, he is just as clueless as I am when it comes to the whole digital/computer recording.

I want to be able to mic my amp, record it, master it, and use drum and bass loops to create my own songs. I've heard alot about the PreSonus stuff around here. I was looking at the Inspire, until I heard many here mention the Firebox. Is the extra money worth it to get the Firebox if you are doing what I'm doing? What about the Line 6 Toneport?

As far as software, I'm starting to understand the whole VSTi/DXi things and how you can "ReWire" them to a host program. However, I do not know which host program would be best suited for me. I'd really like to keep costs down as much $200 max for software. I've played around with Cubase SE, Sonar Home Studio 4, and FL Producer, but I'm so lost at this computer recording stuff that I can't prefer one over the other.

For example, can I make drum loops within Sonar Home Studio or Cubase, or do I need a sequencer like FL?

Also for example, which is better for my situation, Cubase SE or Sonar Home Studio 4? I'm lost with all of this.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Wade

Oh yeah, here are my computer specs if needed

AMD Athlon 64 3700+
2GB OCZ PC3200
74GB Western Digital Raptor SATA 10,000rpm HDD
Edit/Delete Message
R.I.P. Shawn "Memphis Monster" Lane

Member #8 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
well, what exactly are you going to be recording? i mean, the equiptment to record one guitar is quite different from what you need to record a full band, or even just a drum kit. with a guitar you only need one XLR input, with a drum kit you need at least 3 or 4 for a good sound, and then more for a full band. if you have 2 sm57s i figure you would probably want to use them. this means i would get at least an interface with 2 inputs, but maybe more depending on what exactly you want to do.

as for software, i personally like to use Fruity loops because it is what i am familiar with. i know that a lot of people like reason as well as the other two that you mentioned. it seems like a lot of the software is personal prefrence, but ill let others give their recomendations for that because i dont have a ton of experience with different programs.
Interface with two inputs, Toneport Ux2, I love it I think it would do u good. U mentioned the toneport in ur first post so Im saying for the Two inputs that Jof1029 suggested to get I would go for the Ux2
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
Quote by jof1029
well, what exactly are you going to be recording? i mean, the equiptment to record one guitar is quite different from what you need to record a full band, or even just a drum kit. with a guitar you only need one XLR input, with a drum kit you need at least 3 or 4 for a good sound, and then more for a full band. if you have 2 sm57s i figure you would probably want to use them. this means i would get at least an interface with 2 inputs, but maybe more depending on what exactly you want to do.

as for software, i personally like to use Fruity loops because it is what i am familiar with. i know that a lot of people like reason as well as the other two that you mentioned. it seems like a lot of the software is personal prefrence, but ill let others give their recomendations for that because i dont have a ton of experience with different programs.

I stated in my original post that I would only need to record my guitar. The rest would be done with loops.

How is the fruity loops audio recording interface?

Edit: Since I will be micing my amp, wouldn't it better for me to go with something like a PreSonus Inspire since I don't need all of the modeling stuff? The Inspire would be FireWire, thus lowering latencies, etc.

Member #8 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Last edited by waylay00 at Jul 4, 2006,
I've worked with the Inspire and personally haven't had any problems with it at all.

as far as programs go, I mean I can't suggest anything because it's a matter of personal taste. Seeing what you like and what you can deal with is always key.

So I suggest going to the websites of certain softwares and trying out demos (they usually have them) and see which one you like.

For drum sequencing....fruity loops is just crap. I mean, it's just terrible. That's why i learned to play drums and record real drums myself.

but that's only what i think.

anyways, for drums, Why not a Drum Kit From Hell?
I'll probably just go with Sonar Home Studio 4 for software at first. I'll get acquainted with it befofre I go out and buy any more software. Don't want to get too deep into stuff I know absolutely nothing about.

Ha, yeah I've already posted over there.

sorry, i wasnt completly sure if you wanted to record just guitar. people say they want to mic there amp, but then sometimes decide they want to actually do more so its just easier to ask to clarify.

the presonus inspire looks really good. havent actually tried it myself, but it has a lot of nice features and i know that others on here have advocated it. if you have a firewire card, then i would say to go with that over USB, and since it has 2 inputs it is versitile. what i mean is, you can always add a mixer to your chain and plug that into the line ins and still have a stereo sound from the mixer into your computer.

as for recording with fruity loops, well i actually dont. i record with audacity which is a free program, then just export the audio to FL where i do everything else. it might be easier to do everything in one program if you can find one you like, but i just use FL for the mixer, playlist sequencer, the VST stuff, and the ability to create basic synth stuff. if you order the firebox online from musicians friend then it comes with cubase LE, which would give you a chance to see how you like that program. as mhail suggested, probably the best thing to do is dl the demos of a few programs and see which ones have the type of stuff you want. reason, cubase, sonar, FL, and traction are a few that get good recomendations on this board that you may want to look into.
WAITWAIT WAIT!, don't waste your money on softwear, if you get any presonus recording product it comes with Cubase LE 48track recording softwear