this might be the best place to ask, if not, i'll move it.

my bandmate got this power mixer thingy for his birthday, with an EQ panel on it. We have no idea how to set it, and it sounds awful when the sliders are all in the middle.

what do each of the sliders do, and how can i make it sound better?

thanks
Quote by duncang
They're just like EEEEEEeeo. EEEeeo. EEEEEEEEo. oo. o.

I like commas
Each slider controls a frequency. The sliders towards the left control the lower frequencies (bass), towards the right control higher frequencies (treble), and the middle sliders control the middle frequencies (midrange). I like to leave the bass at the middle, the mids all the way up, and the treble about half way between the middle and the top.
Why not do the famous Metallica "V"

high bass

high treble

SCOOPED MIDS !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
yea if you play metallica and megadeth, and pantera and heavy things, have the bass and treble up high and the middle off or low
Some of the easy settings for metal are:

The V. You make a V using the knobs. The tip of the V should be centered.
The U. You make a U using the knobs. The bottom of the U should be centered.

These both have high bass and treble, with scooped (very low) mids.

If im correct, with all of the knobs centered, it is the same sound as when the EQ is off and not modifying the sound.
As a note..... some SS amps have EQs..... Do NOT !!! DO NOT use the V setting....... it'll make the SS amp even more digital !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
If you play in a band, scooping your mids will probably make you sound like ****. A lot of people think you have to scoop your mids and crank the bass or whatever to be heavy, but not IMO. You'll get a way clearer sound with mids in there dude.

EDIT: It CAN sound ok if your just doing heavy rhythms, but if you do lead you should keep the mids.
Last edited by Trident at Jul 5, 2006,
Yep, if yer the lead guitarist, never leave the mids below 5 !!! I play them at well........... 6

Keep the faith, baby!!