So I'm lookin at a cheap, begginer way to record on my laptop. First of all, I realize I need some sort of USB connection to be able to record my guitar nicely. I've looked at an m-audio black box, because I liked the fact that it had an included pedal, and drum kits. But I also realize there are many USB connections, bundled with software, that are very cheap and good quality for the price.

To make me even more confused...I came across some of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/key/navigation?N=100001+304707

I guess they are "midi" keyboards, and I can program bass lines, piano, and drums into my songs?? Those are the only real instruments I would need it for.

Can someone please explain to me what these are, and how I will use them? Are they difficult to use? How would I record them via USB connection? What are the best ones for 200 bucks or less??

Basically, I just need someone to explain this to me and help me make the best decision for my needs, so I dont go around buying like some rookie and end up wasting my (very limited) money supply!

Hope You can Help!!

Thanks
easiest way to record is just to use converters to plug in mics/1/4 instruments into the mic in on your computer - then use a program to record (audacity is free, you could easily steal acid)

carvin mics for great value, SM57 for micing your amp equipment, and you could just plug your guitar into your computer that way and use software guitar (Guitar FX 3 is free)

and yeah you could use MIDI for just about anything as well - just use a MIDI to USB converter (M-audio makes a nice cheap one), then you could use any keyboard with midi capabilities (or buy a controller, like the m-audio unit) - then you'd need a midi synching computer program

if you had a Mac computer you'd be able to do all of these things with Garageband, recording vocals, guitar, midi keyboard usage, mixing, etc. etc.
-Mike
Quote by HopePoisoned
then you could use any keyboard with midi capabilities (or buy a controller, like the m-audio unit) - then you'd need a midi synching computer program

this is what my question was originally about...which I don't understand...
I'm doin some rec myself......

I'm trying to .......... Guitar - Pre-Amp - Rec Out cable - Sound Card - PC..

I'm using Adobe Audition... very easy to use !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!