I currently have an old Peavey Basic 60 150watt bass amp (single speaker, 12" I think), but , as it is proably older than I am and is a beast to haul around, I'm looking for a new combo amp. I'm debating between

Carvin BRX112NEO ---$649.99

GK 400RB/210 ----$749.00

I'm also wondering, is there any difference between a 1x12 or 2x10 as far as sound goes?
Carvin amps, to me, don't sound like anything special. You will just get a typical bass sound, without any real personality. Gallien Krueger amps have no personality as well, but the 400 gives you room to develop your own personality. That is what is so great about GK. They are nothing until you plug your bass in and play.

As far as 1x12 vs. 2x10:
10" Speakers will give you a more high-end (treble/high mids), sharper, clearer sound.
15" Speakers will give you a more deep, boomy bass sound that shakes things.
12" Speakers will give you something more inbetween. They have the clarity of a 10", and the boominess of a 15".

People like to use 15" speakers with 10" speakers because you get the best of both worlds. If you can only get one cab, 12" speakers cover both under one.

Neo cabs, like the carvin, have great midrange clarity. The speakers are also much, much lighter compared to other speakers.

A few questions for you: What is your pricerange? What style of music do you play? What type of bass do you have? Have you played or can you play either of these amps before buying them? Are you in a band? How much volume do you need?

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Very thourogh Incubus, A think GK would be the way to go, they have a tendancy to hold up under rough conditions. (I.E when some idiot leans on them on stage with casters still on it.) But I still like carvins because I can't tell much of a sound variation imbetween the two as far as the tone goes.
I am not a big fan of the tone i got from a carvin amp so i would go with the GK, but there is a nice Ampeg combo amp you might wanna give it a look at...
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
in this price range you could get a used Ampeg 1/2 stack. i paid $500(us) for an Ampeg B2R amp with an Ampeg BSE410LHF cab, in perfect condition, 1 year old.
and remember kids, always take the casters(wheels) off the cab, when playing. this will increase you're bottom-end. i.e. the stage will resonate your bass.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
in this price range you could get a used Ampeg 1/2 stack. i paid $500(us) for an Ampeg B2R amp with an Ampeg BSE410LHF cab, in perfect condition, 1 year old.
and remember kids, always take the casters(wheels) off the cab, when playing. this will increase you're bottom-end. i.e. the stage will resonate your bass.

I don't take the wheels off my cab because it has to be moved all the time, but you are righ tit does make it resonate more

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
Actually, I'm not too impressed with Ampeg combos, they have a tendency to hiss at me. As far as the price range goes, I have no job, therefore no money. Something below $1000 or even $800 would be preferable. I play all styles of music, but am currently in a jazz-funk combo. The amp I'm looking for needs to be versatile, have a clean tone, and not require a U-haul to move (i.e. not a stack.)
what about a halg stack there same size as a combo, Gk has a nice 1x15 with a head for sale on musiciansfriend.com

Quote by hendrixmusicman
Quote by pink chili
I am not a big fan of the tone i got from a carvin amp so i would go with the GK, but there is a nice Ampeg combo amp you might wanna give it a look at...

ampeg SS combo's arent very good. way plain/overrated, and i cant get any other tones than the ampeg tone out of it well. trust me i have the BA115

Quote by pushbot
Actually, I'm not too impressed with Ampeg combos, they have a tendency to hiss at me. As far as the price range goes, I have no job, therefore no money. Something below $1000 or even $800 would be preferable. I play all styles of music, but am currently in a jazz-funk combo. The amp I'm looking for needs to be versatile, have a clean tone, and not require a U-haul to move (i.e. not a stack.)

look at the R1015.

800 US on the site.

now, you're thinking, is it 50$ better than the GK? well... is 1000W , a 1x15 and 2x8, loaded with TONS of features and a 9 band graphic EQ worth 50$ more than w.e the GK has? IS it?

im sure hoping it is cuz im planning on getting the R1015
I have never actually played a ampeg combo i know that i love my half stack tho,very nice, so i figure it must bepretty decent

Quote by hendrixmusicman
Quote by pink chili
I have never actually played a ampeg combo i know that i love my half stack tho,very nice, so i figure it must bepretty decent

thats a common mistake.

Everyone's heard of Marshall. You know their MG series? pure $hit.

dont judge a product by the brand. another example: i know MANY people who swear by line 6 pedals, but would never use their Spider amps or Variax guitars.

becides, the Ampeg Stacks that are good are tube, and the combo's are all SS.
^^^Sweet. If and when you get it, could you put up a review or something?

Oh, and while we're on the topic of Carvin, what have you heard about their basses? I was poking around their site and found some sound samples of the LB70P (the one with the J/HB pickups) and was completely floored, but was kind of disappointed at the appx. $1000 price tag (as I said, I'm cheap). However, a review of the LB70 bass at http://www.bgra.net/reviews/carvin-lb70-3-rvw.html says it was only $869. So two things:

What's the deal here? What are the real prices?

and

Is it worth it? How do Carvin basses compare with other models in the long-run?
Last edited by pushbot at Jul 5, 2006,