I have a Carvin Mts3212 3212 tube amp. I really know next to nothing about tubes. I currently have Sovtek 5881 power tubes and sovtek preamp tubes. I would like to know what tubes to use to get a Peavey Classic type of clean sound and also a rich lead sound similar to Tool, Dream Theatre, or Alice in Chains. My bassists dad has over 2000 GE tubes he said he would install and sell to me for a cheap price. Are they good? ANy help would be appreciated.
for the MTS i really cannot say much as I don't really dig that sound, but if you sold the MTS and got a vintage series and threw some hesserl mods you could get any sound in the world, lol - EI tubes are my favorite but i'm sure GE is fine
-Mike
like pretty much all 6L6's, they are very responsive to your picking attack. You can crank your amp volume to 10 but gently pick a note and it will be quiet, but then pick hard and you'll knock things from the shelf. Your friends dad probably has a lot of these because they make GREAT bass tubes
I like 6L6 for higher gain, i like el34 for lower gain (mostly, but 6L6 is my favorite overall)
-Mike