I've been playing for nearly 3 years, started off with a Peavey Millenium BXP, and I've also got a Vintage Metal Axxe too.

I've been thinking of getting either a Peavey, Ibanez, or ESP for my next one. I'm pondering with the idea of a 5-string too, but not sure.

I'm primarily playing metal, In Flames, Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquility, Pantera, Megadeth, 'Tallica etc.

If you guys could give me some ideas, it would be much appreciated. I'm looking for about a £400 limit.

Cheers,
Rob
go for a 4 string Ibanez or ESP those would probly b the best for your style and...just go to like guitar center and play around until u find something u like thats like the best advice u can giv some1 looking for a bass or guitar or even drum kit
Squier Stratocaster
B.C. Rich Beast
Conrad 40110 (12-string Acoustic)
15 Watt Squier Amp
12 Watt B.C. Rich Amp
PODxt Live
man i love that bass so where? lol seriously tho wear
Squier Stratocaster
B.C. Rich Beast
Conrad 40110 (12-string Acoustic)
15 Watt Squier Amp
12 Watt B.C. Rich Amp
PODxt Live
i have that bass. i paid £80 for it on ebay. its made by some crappy replica make, so i put a sticker over it so people dont laugh at the make. it's full on nice. but if you have moeny to fork out, go for a bc rich i think, they are top quality, espesh the basses.
I am actually going to have to disagree strongly with you about BC Rich, i was at my local music store the other day the had a BC rich mocking bird series in, and it was the cheapest feeling guitar they had, Bolt-on neck it felt like plywood, i would recomend getting a Ibanez they are good all around basses and they are good for metal since that is what your looking to play.
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
What si it with people reccomending BC rich all over the place.

Bc rich are terrible, terrible, basses. Overpriced, bad sounding, ugly everything..

I'd recommend a 5 string Ibanez, specifically the SR505
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
^ ive got one of those on the way
Vocals Wanted For:
Tool-Sober, Aenema
Led Zeppelin-The Ocean
Audioslave-Cochise
Sublime-Santeria
Rush-Tom Sawyer, Fly By Night, Limelight
Assorted Original Acoustics

PM if interested
Quote by Forcemaster

Bc rich are terrible, terrible, basses. Overpriced, bad sounding, ugly everything..

Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
head to your local music shop. Ibanez or Peavey are the best starter basses, imo.
play everything in your price range. i do not like BC Rich's basses. also check Essex(SX) or OLP.
Thanks for all your responses guys, much appreciated.

I'm trying to head away from the sort of 'Metal shaped' basses, which is why I'm staying away from B.C Rich. I have been admiring some Ibanez ones recently, and Peavey Millenium 5 strings are quite nice too. Needless to say I'll be searching the interent for a lil while. Thanks again.
Quote by Forcemaster

cant agree moore
Quote by FearRetribution
Thanks for all your responses guys, much appreciated.

I'm trying to head away from the sort of 'Metal shaped' basses,.

A wise decision, most companies that make those tend to sell them on their looks rather than their sound and playability etc.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster

Exactly correct. Both them and ESP make pretty terrible bass guitars.

And, I agree on the SR505. It may not be a really extreme shape or anything, but its the best your going to get for that price.

If you could save up a bit more, you could get a Warwick Buzzard or Vampire.
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)

Infact, Rockbass by Warwick (the Squire of Warwick) make Vampyres... I would take one of those over a BC Rich any day. And at £399, you can't go wrong.
http://www.warwickrockbass.com/vampyre.htm
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=10750

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Last edited by Incubus_SCIENCE at Jul 5, 2006,
Right, I took the advice of a few of you, and I had a play around on the Ibanez SR505 yesterday, and really liked the tone and feel of it. I know it'll take some time getting used to the 5th string being there, but I'm sure I won't notice it after a while.

I also had a chat with the guy there about some Bass Heads, decided on the Ashdown MAG300-R, which I'll get next month.

Thanks for all who gave advice,
Rob
Quote by FearRetribution
Right, I took the advice of a few of you, and I had a play around on the Ibanez SR505 yesterday, and really liked the tone and feel of it. I know it'll take some time getting used to the 5th string being there, but I'm sure I won't notice it after a while.

I also had a chat with the guy there about some Bass Heads, decided on the Ashdown MAG300-R, which I'll get next month.

Thanks for all who gave advice,
Rob

you made a good chocie with the bass head there.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
well a bc rich mockingbird would be nice but it costs around 600 bucks.
ive recently bought a ibanez btb205.
its 5 stringed and it costs around 300-350$
i also play metal and to me its a damn good bass, so you better try it
im a finger player

:quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTwoFoot
It's obvious that those songs were illegally downloaded, so Metallica wanted him to "ride the lightning," if you get my meaning.:quote:
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
Exactly correct. Both them and ESP make pretty terrible bass guitars.

And, I agree on the SR505. It may not be a really extreme shape or anything, but its the best your going to get for that price.

If you could save up a bit more, you could get a Warwick Buzzard or Vampire.
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)

Infact, Rockbass by Warwick (the Squire of Warwick) make Vampyres... I would take one of those over a BC Rich any day. And at £399, you can't go wrong.
http://www.warwickrockbass.com/vampyre.htm
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=10750

In general I would check out some Rockbasses, they are very good for the money.

Note: Basses don't have to look metal, to be able to play it well.