Hey guys, I was looking for a tube amp the other day to replace my digital amp that I have now. I tried a lot of the fender ones in the store and they sounded great, but I couldn't manage to get some really good high-gain sounds even with the drive knob all the way up - although i was playing with low volume which may have been the reason. I play a lot of blues and jazz, so the fender amps were great, but once in a while I'd like to crank it up and play some high-gain stuff. So anyways, I was wondering if any of you can suggest a good tube amp under $1000 that will get me those sounds.
Traynor YCV40 or 50, Fender Hot Rod, Peavey Valveking, Peavey Classic.... I'm sure there are more.
How much gain are you looking for (SRV? Or something more like Petrucci?).

For moderate to high gain, you could get a big muff to overdrive any of the Fenders.

For really high gain, check out a smaller Soldano (maybe used), or a used Mesa.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Man, check out the ENGL screamer, my 50 watt combo gets used in jazz band all the time, absolutely awesome. At night its a high gain beast, again, awesome
Its always happy here
You can order an ENGL Screamer from rocksolidamps.com if you're in the US. They're fairly popular in Europe, but hard to find here. However, ENGL's have a very bright tone, so that's something to take into consideration. The Traynor YCV50 Blue is a phenominal amp. It's a great all-around tube amp. It doesn't have quite enough gain for heavier styles of metal, but an overdrive pedal with give you the boost in gain you need for really high-gain tones.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
I second the mesa f and screamer, for dark or bright tones, respectively.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The ENGL is bright with a flat EQ, howere, it can easily be EQ'd to sound dark if you take out the lead presence
Its always happy here
^ yeah, but if it's anything like my savage se (and it should be, as my savage se actually has more features to let you sculpt the sound) it still sounds pretty bright. just with the treble or presence lower. it never really sounds like a recto, for example. An eq should help with that, though.

It's a bit over budget, though...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, obviously it doesn't quite sound like a mesa, I'm just saying it's brightness is absolutely no problem
Its always happy here
^ oh, I agree. I bought an engl, lol. but if you want the mesa (or similar) sound...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The crate V30/V32 is surprisingly good in its pricerange and extremely versatile.

Cleans are decent, and the overdrive is damn good.

Try one out.
save up a little bit more to get a Peavy 6505
Epiphone Custom 1966 SG w/EMG 85(B)
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Boss SD-1 Overdrive; NS-2
Fender Tuner
i say get a fender for uber cleans then a nice OD pedal or two for the gainy stuff
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
^^ +1.

You'll never regret the cleans you get from the Fender. If you play jazz and blues it's the way to go. Check out some different distorsion pedals if you want the high gain like Jeckyll and Hyde, Subdecay Blackstar, etc...
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Hmmmm a fender amp is always going to have crap distortion though, just doesnt have any bottom end, its not tight either, no matter what pedal. If a fender with a pedal is so good, then why do no metal bands use them live, ever?
Its always happy here
Quote by cakehead
Hmmmm a fender amp is always going to have crap distortion though, just doesnt have any bottom end, its not tight either, no matter what pedal. If a fender with a pedal is so good, then why do no metal bands use them live, ever?

no bottom end? not tight? /laff

metal bands use marshalls and mesa's because its about image and/or they have an endorsment with those company's.

its preference all preference
Quote by yorkshireterror
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by DunlopGuy
no bottom end? not tight? /laff

metal bands use marshalls and mesa's because its about image and/or they have an endorsment with those company's.

its preference all preference

shut it newb
Its always happy here
Quote by cakehead
shut it newb

what makes me a newb? he said he liked to play BLUES and JAZZ and every once in a while play high gain stuff. since when did B.B king and george benson use mesa's?

besides,mesas and marshalls usually go over $1000 anyway. even a fender twin is $1,100. nice talking to you mr. senior member
Quote by yorkshireterror

i <3 breakdowns