Alright currently I own a Gibson SG Special which I love, but I'm thinking I might start getting into collecting guitars (or atleast I like the idea of having more than one). I've worked a ton the last year to save up for a new guitar and I've been researching all day after reading the Guitar Buyers Guide which one I think I want next.

I read some reviews that had varying opinions about the necks of the Firebirds and their width, so I went onto the Gibson site to compare the specs of the SG Special and Firebird Studio. Gibson doesn't have the neck width listed on their site for the SG, but they have the Firebird listed as 0.830 (at the first fret). Does anyone know how that is in comparison to the SG?

For any Firebird owners, what do you think about the overall playability of the guitar? I haven't had a chance to go down to my store to play it (I doubt they have a lefty anyway) but I might get a chance before camp. I just want to know what kind of things I should be looking for in making the right choice switching from an SG.

Thanks in advance.
^ Firebirds RULE!!! (note, this post will be completely bias lol). Anyway, the SG has a 60's slim taper on it, which is the same neck on the Firebird. Width wise, I think the SG is slightly narrower (less wide) than the Firebird, but not much (at least that's what experience tells me, don't quote me on that though, it could just be the way I'm playing lol). A lefty Firebird is as rare as, well, it's probably the rarest of rare new guitars lol. Firebirds aren't overly popular, and they are reversed (I once had someone come up to me in a guitar store and ask me why I was playing a lefty guitar right handed while I was playing mine lol). The playability on the Firebird is great. The pickups are better than the 490R 490T you find in the other studios (the Firebird has the 498T, it's a little hotter). Having a 1 piece mahogany body is great, and the neck is fine (just note it's set 3 frets lower on the Firebird than an SG). Enjoy (if you can find one, you may have to custom order it).
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Quote by Ihearthetfield
ANYTHING will be an upgrade from a gibson special.

Hence me wanting a Firebird

Quote by onemanarmy9
^ Firebirds RULE!!! (note, this post will be completely bias lol). Anyway, the SG has a 60's slim taper on it, which is the same neck on the Firebird. Width wise, I think the SG is slightly narrower (less wide) than the Firebird, but not much (at least that's what experience tells me, don't quote me on that though, it could just be the way I'm playing lol). A lefty Firebird is as rare as, well, it's probably the rarest of rare new guitars lol. Firebirds aren't overly popular, and they are reversed (I once had someone come up to me in a guitar store and ask me why I was playing a lefty guitar right handed while I was playing mine lol). The playability on the Firebird is great. The pickups are better than the 490R 490T you find in the other studios (the Firebird has the 498T, it's a little hotter). Having a 1 piece mahogany body is great, and the neck is fine (just note it's set 3 frets lower on the Firebird than an SG). Enjoy (if you can find one, you may have to custom order it).

Yeah thats what I was thinking of doing.. thanks for the response though. I'll have to check it out after I get back from camp.

I had a hell of a time finding my current guitar as it was, but my hairdresser is best friends with the head of Long and Mcquade here in Winnipeg so I can get a good deal on practically anything without a whole lot of searching.
The neck of the Firebird is narrower than the Sg's neck, but I found it a little thicker.
Quote by Ihearthetfield
ANYTHING will be an upgrade from a gibson special.

have you ever actually played one?

what do you think is bad about it then?
if it are the pickups then change em for heavens sake, you'll still come out cheaper than when you buy a standard!

anyway, Firebirds look very sexy but I haven't played one yet...
Does anyone have any idea how much a lefty one would cost?? I can't seem to find a price anywhere...
^ I'd be willing to say $1500 tops. With tax (at 15%) my righty was $1500, so I wouldn't think the lefty would be too much more.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Quote by onemanarmy9
^ I'd be willing to say $1500 tops. With tax (at 15%) my righty was $1500, so I wouldn't think the lefty would be too much more.

wtf, 15% tax!?!?

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by onemanarmy9

Thats what I thought about my SG... then I found out a lefty was $500 more. (Luckily I know the owner and got a huge discount).