I have a quick question regarding recording with Audacity. I have been recording my sports talk show with Audacity for coming up to a year now and just recently recording myself playing the guitar. What I have come across is that when I record something and then stop and go back and want to record over what is already there, I cannot hear the first recording while recording the second recording.

This seems a little confusing, so let me clear up what I intend on doing. I want to record drum beats with Gutiar Pro and then import those beats into Audacity and play the guitar over those drum beats, the problem as I noted above is that when I press record in Audacity when there is already an audio file in Audacity, I cannot hear that recording (i.e. the drum beat when I want to record the gutiar). This is also a problem when I want to record my own guitar over pre-recorded guitar of mine.

I know at one point I had figured out why this was happening, but I forgot and I have been sitting here for an eternity trying to figure it out. If someone has encountered this and/or knows what the fix is, please do help me out. Also if someone has a better alternative (different program) on how I can fix my problem and do what I want to do, please do tell.
easy fix, go to file, preferences. then look in the lower left corner, there should be two boxes u can check off. its one of those boxes (i beleive its the top one.)

EDIT: its the box that says "play other tracks while recording new one" and it is the first box
Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

also see: elitist asshat