My local luthier suggested having my acoustic guitar "set". From what I understand, this process may involve having the bridge shaved down or lowered so that the action at the higher frets are also lowered.

I may be misinterpreting some of this information and am still a little fuzzy on this whole process... can someone elaborate on this? Cheers.
The thing you might just need done, which is probably what he means, is having your bridge sanded down some. That would lower your action in the higher frets and also make it a little easier one your fretting hand when forming bar chords and playing in general in the higher frets. Its a fairly simple process.
Quote by Locusta
My local luthier suggested having my acoustic guitar "set". From what I understand, this process may involve having the bridge shaved down or lowered so that the action at the higher frets are also lowered.

I may be misinterpreting some of this information and am still a little fuzzy on this whole process... can someone elaborate on this? Cheers.

Well, the process is referred to as a "setup", and can include reducing the height of the saddle, the plastic/bone/whatever piece that's set into the bridge. Since the strings are suspended over the frets from the nut to the saddle, lowering the saddle actually lowers the strings to some extent along that full length, not just at the higher frets, although more noticeably there. A setup can also include adjustment at the nut (widening/narrowing, deepening/filling, of nut slots if necessary), truss rod adjustment, fret dressing (smoothing/shaping the frets, evening out their height, etc.), intonation adjustment(s) at the saddle by reshaping, etc., general inspection and tightening of anything that tends to loosen (mainly tuning peg components on acoustics), and anything else I've forgotten.
A setup usualy means filing the nut and saddle down so that they fit the guitar a little better. He will also do a truss rod adjustment and oil your fretboard. Depending on the luthier they may also recrown the frets and make sure they are all level. The luthiers that includ the recrown usualy charge $50 to $80 more but the guys that don't include the fret dressing will still do it if you are willing to pay them the extra $50.

A fret dressing and setup is a very good idea and will make your guitar much easier to play.
Not taking any online orders.