I'm interested in recordings piano, but don't have any equipment yet. I'll be getting this line 6 audio interface http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-TonePort-UX2-USB-RecordingModeling-Interface?sku=249701 and a shure sm57 mic http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/product/reviews/base_pid=270102/rpp=10/ . if i were to record piano in stereo, would the shure mic work as one of the two mics that i'll need. which mics would you recommend getting for recording piano? would the sm58 work?
SM58 = bad for anything other than vocals

get a large condensor mic for recording an acoustic instruments and vocals in a studio type setting (the SM58 is better for live vocals as condensor mics are a bit more fragile).

I guess the SM57 will work OK along with another mic for recording a piano in stereo (if you need the versatility of the thing)
are there any condensor mics that you would recommend that would work for both vocals and piano in a studio type setting? do you know where i can hear an example of piano in mono and piano in stereo? i don't have much money, but am definately getting the sm57 for recording amps, so i'd like to double up it's uses.
small condensers like for example the cheapo MXL 991's

are good for piano.
if it's a grand, you should put it inside in an X-Y configuration.

if it's a small one, the back causes vibrations so that would be a good place to put it in.
i found that the MXL 991 tends to come with a 990 for $100. Should I look for just the MXL 991 at a cheaper price and get two or would the MXL 991/990 bundle work well for recording piano? Also, could I used a MXL 991 with a SM57 to record piano in stereo or is that a bad idea? Would the MXL 991 work well with vocals, accoustic guitars, percussion, violins, etc. too?
i got that pair for 100 bucks too.

only i ordered two.

the 990 (large diaphragm) is amazing for vocals and some drum overheads (BIIIG ROOMS)

the 991 is good for stereo acoustics, piano, hats, ride, and drum overheads in a small room

-edit-
the 991 is TERRIBLE for vocals.
I made a mistake after putting it in front of a cranked amp as it screeched and chheeeed.

It's good for violins (i recorded myself using 2 violin tracks, a viola, and a cello)
it came out amazing.

----------------------------------
-edit edit edit-

using the 57 with the 991 is a TERRIBLE idea.
the 57 is a dynamic mic and a 991 isn't. together, it will cause some phase cancellations and it will make your piano sound thinner.

a 57 is bright but i don't think it is bright enough for a piano.

plus i hope you have phantom powered preamps..
Last edited by mhail at Jul 5, 2006,
you need a preamp with phantom power to use condeser mics, so make sure you get one.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
bill,
i'm glad you reviewed them.
your recording isn't too shabby, and i'm thinking they'll work better with a $400 audio interface because of the better pres right?
so i just assumed these mics would work with the saffire; am i right?
if you could record a piano in stereo that would be amazingly helpful. be sure to let me know if you do!
thanks
interesting, i thought that would be more than the one i had picked out. how is it better, yet half the price? you don't think what i'm thinking right now for an audio interface would work well with the mics i have lined up? i would think the saffire would sound better than this, reguardless of the fact that it uses solid state pres vs. tubes. how does this even plug in? maybe it's not really an interface, but just a preamp, and i'd need more stuff to be able to have the full interface setup? i was going to order the saffire tonite, and am really wanting to order everything soon, but i'll wait for your response, so asap would be great. thanks.
Quote by hthedinga
interesting, i thought that would be more than the one i had picked out. how is it better, yet half the price? you don't think what i'm thinking right now for an audio interface would work well with the mics i have lined up? i would think the saffire would sound better than this, reguardless of the fact that it uses solid state pres vs. tubes. how does this even plug in? maybe it's not really an interface, but just a preamp, and i'd need more stuff to be able to have the full interface setup? i was going to order the saffire tonite, and am really wanting to order everything soon, but i'll wait for your response, so asap would be great. thanks.

You would need a good recording soundcard and the Presonus.

Solidstate pre's aren't bad, but you'll really hear the difference from a tube pre.

You could get that pre and a decent soundcard for the price of the other interface... and your recordings would sound 1000% better to boot.
i'm suprised to hear this. you're the only one to say that. could i still do this with a laptop? it seems too good to be true that i could get a lot better sound for the same price. can you recommend exactly what to get for as close as possible to $400?