lets say i were to take an old guitar an defret it ... would this idea work and would i have to fill in the holes left by this ( id rather keep them to know where to play)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
you'd have to fill in the holes. also, you should get flatwound strings.

it wouldn't be good for chording, mind you. so use it for lead stuff.

fretless forever!
thanks
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
if your wanna remember where which fret is you could just paint some lines. but that wouldn't look too fancy.
if you pick a wood filler thats not the color of youre fretboard (or diff texture): problem solved.

you're gonna get a smoother tone, losing the high end that frets give you, you can slide into any note, you're gonna need a good ear, it takes a while to get used to, chords are especially harder to do: cause you cant cheat and have one of your fingers not all the way to the fret, but all in all, if its not your best guitar, you can always try it out (and get flatwounds to not damage the fretboard), oh and cover the fretboard (epoxy i think??) to protect it.

that's a hella useful and tip filled run on sentence, innit?
I did that to my first electric... took a steak knife and a flathead screwdriver and ripped out all the frets. It'll still work, then, without filling the gaps, since the truss rod will keep the neck from colapsing in where the frets were, but you'll get ware on the edges of the gaps, so you shouldn't leave them unfilled for too long. It is very important to leave the lines visible when you fill them, though, because intonation is much more noticable on a fretless guitar than a fretless bass. The way I did this was I actually melted crayon wax into the gaps. Worked marvelously well, and most people have crayons and a lighter layin around somewhere, so very cost effective, as well.
I have an addiction...

Les Paul style DeArmond
Danelectro baritone
Rickenbacker 360/12
defretted Strat
lap steel
Yamaha CP-70
Yamaha P-90
Kay archtop
Kay Tenor Banjo
Oud
Sitar