Er i dont get the pyshical stuff or the setup to record. I have seen pictures of mixers but i dont get how they are used. If you can tell me the dumbies method of recording that would be helpful.

I know you have a mic connected to a computer and then you use a computer program like audacity. Isnt the mixer in the computer program? And what do you do with 8 tracks and stuff.

A simple flow chart would be nice.
Thx for reading thie newbie post.

Insturment --> Amp --> microphone(s) --> Direct input board --> computer sound card --> computer recording program

that's roughly how it goes. you may have preamps, compressors, processors, etc... that you want to include in the loop, but that's for later. a few notes....

-the mixer is likely built into the program, unless you've obviously got a mixer with knobs and sliders that has 8 plugs in the back
-the direct input board is the key thing... most computers don't have 8 full size mic inputs on them, so you can't really record a whole drum kit without a DI board. it takes 8 mic cables and plugs one USB cable into your computer. your software should allow you to control the individual mic levels over the computer, etc...
Last edited by frigginjerk at Jul 4, 2006,
I have an 8 track mixer that plugs into my computer Record jack in the back. I use Audacity to record all of my drum, guitar, bass, keyboard, etc. You plug the mics into the mixer, plug the mixer into the computer, adjust the levels of the mics appropriately, and then go for it.
Quote by GuitarGod610
I have an 8 track mixer that plugs into my computer Record jack in the back. I use Audacity to record all of my drum, guitar, bass, keyboard, etc. You plug the mics into the mixer, plug the mixer into the computer, adjust the levels of the mics appropriately, and then go for it.

You forgot about a audio interface.