ummm, Ive been trying to teach my self some theory over the net lately, mostly here on UG.

The thing ive been wondering is when you see a chord diagram how do you decide what the chord is called whether its augmented minor or what.

i sort of understand how they do it with triads but what about bigger chords 7ths and 9ths?

help please
Quote by 6WS
haha, that is going to be the biggest p*ssy magnet since the keyboard neck tie.
it depends on the notes and intervals...a major would contain a root, major third, and major fifth...a major seventh would contain the latter with a major 7th...a minor would contain a minor third...an augmented chord would contain an augmented 5th etc...
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
alrite so that is how i saw it then, cool thanx dude

also are you able to build chords from any scale?
Quote by 6WS
alrite so that is how i saw it then, cool thanx dude

also are you able to build chords from any scale?
Quote by 6WS
yes, but the pattern of major, minor, diminished, etc is different for every scale...for example

C major scale
C, D, E, F, G, A, B

alright, following the 1-3-5, pattern for every note, the chord sequence is as follows:

Cmaj, Dmin, Emin, Fmaj, Gmaj, Amin, Bdim

now take a C minor scale
C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb

the chord sequence would be:

Cmin, Ddim, Ebmaj, Fmin, Gmin, Abmaj, Bbmaj

once you understand the different modes you would see that it's the same pattern started on the 6th degree of the original major scale...all scales are related back to the major, there are lessons here on UG
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by axe_grinder247
yes, but the pattern of major, minor, diminished, etc is different for every scale...for example

C major scale
C, D, E, F, G, A, B

alright, following the 1-3-5, pattern for every note, the chord sequence is as follows:

Cmaj, Dmin, Emin, Fmaj, Gmaj, Amin, Bdim

now take a C minor scale
C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb

the chord sequence would be:

Cmin, Ddim, Ebmaj, Fmin, Gmin, Abmaj, Bbmaj

once you understand the different modes you would see that it's the same pattern started on the 6th degree of the original major scale...all scales are related back to the major, there are lessons here on UG

<3 eloquently simple, good response
well if you understand triads, its really just a matter of understanding what to add to each of the principle triads.

A maj7 chord is a major triad with a major 7th.
A 7 chord is a major triad with a minor 7th.
A m7 chord is a minor triad with a minor 7th.

That's the basic part of 7 chords... there's one more kind I'm forgetting Im certain but those are the 3 most common 7 chords.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!