My friend got a right-handed bass for free, but he is left handed. Could he string it upside down without damaging the bass? Any short- or long-term problems with this?

Thanks. =)
could do. all the controls would be in the way, and it would need a major setup and the nut reversing
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
or he could learn to play upside down. I've seen quite a few bassists who play upside down... I once saw a righty who had a right handed bass, but had it strung upside down. I guess it feels fine if you learn like that.
I have an addiction...

Les Paul style DeArmond
Danelectro baritone
Rickenbacker 360/12
defretted Strat
lap steel
Yamaha CP-70
Yamaha P-90
Kay archtop
Kay Tenor Banjo
Oud
Sitar
Harmonium
Melodica
Cello

http://www.myspace.com/hi9
Quote by grimreaper65
I think you'd need a new nut.

Thats the smart thing to do. Just look at Hendrix he often did that.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
Why not just learn to play on a righthanded bass? If he's lefthanded, then that hand is already much stronger then his right making fretting on the bass easier, one of the biggest problems beginners have to overcome (lack of hand strength initially). But if that doesn't work, I would think it would be best to just sell it or trade it for a left handed model.
Quote by chuck953688
Why not just learn to play on a righthanded bass? If he's lefthanded, then that hand is already much stronger then his right making fretting on the bass easier, one of the biggest problems beginners have to overcome (lack of hand strength initially). But if that doesn't work, I would think it would be best to just sell it or trade it for a left handed model.

I'm a lefty. I learned guitar lefty, but switched when it came time to buy a bass because I realized how hard it would be and how much of a pain it is. You could switch everything around, but it would be better if you just learned to play righty, or find a lefty bass.

Good luck!

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by chuck953688

My sentiments exactly, IMO it's the same with any lefty instrument, all guitars are designed to be played right handed, like violins or double basses. besides if he learns right handed he can play basically anyones bass and he'll save money in the future because lefty's are rarer and more expensive then righties 99% of the time
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
There's no reason not to, you would need to replace the nut. The bassist in Brant Bjork's band Cortez plays a right handed p-bass upside down. You'd also need to move the strap button.

Last edited by smb at Jul 5, 2006,
Thanks for all the replies!
He already plays a lefty guitar, so I think he's already used to that.

Is it possible for one of us to replace the nut ourselves, or it that something best left to a professional?
Professional. I mean, if you have previous experience modding or building guitars, you should be fine. But I'm sure it doesn't cost that much to have someone at your local music shop to switch the nut around and even get it set up for a lefty player. It costs about $50 US here.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.