What is a scalloped neck, and why is it done
My Rig:

Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Es-335 Deluxe
Line 6 Flextone 3 XL
Norman B-50
1980 Fender Acoustic

I think you simply just sand your fretboard to make like sort of valley shape. It's done so you can do crazy bends easily with you fingers since your fingers wil no longer touching the fretboard.
Gear:
Black Jackson Dinky 2
Peavey Envoy 110
and that's it.
A scalloped neck is when the frets are sanded down so they are a bit curved instead of flat

Its done so that the player can pin down the string without it slipping, like when doing vibratos. Look at Yngwie Malmsteen's guitar
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=scalloping

that link shows a scallopped neck

and scalloping is in my opinion the most amazing invention on the guitar
since it not only allows for more control during bends and vibrato
but you can change the pitch of notes just by pressing harder on the strings
thus you can change the pitch of whole chords at once

and i find them oh so comfortable to boot
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

according to Yngwie they are harder to play, but since hes Yngwie it probably doesnt affect him
Go get your shovel.
Quote by SynGates7X
according to Yngwie they are harder to play, but since hes Yngwie it probably doesnt affect him

Well his action on his guitar is as high as it goes so I see how it would be tough.
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
thanks
My Rig:

Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Es-335 Deluxe
Line 6 Flextone 3 XL
Norman B-50
1980 Fender Acoustic

jumbo frets work like scallopped, in that u need a light touch when u fret, ur u can make the note go sharp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011