Do you guys think that an Epiphone Vintage G-400 would look too vintage? I mean I love the look but I don't see hardly anyone playing them anymore. Especially like the one i want, the worn cherry finish. Just tell me what you guys think.
What do you mean Vintage?

Just because it's not pointy doesn't mean it's outdated.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
What do you mean pointy? I mean it was made popular by Angus Young in AC/DC and i dont see anyone playing them anymore.
The only difference is that the Vintage G-400 just has a flat finish. Think of the Faded Specal Gibson SG's.

As for other people playing them, who cares? Buy the guitar YOU want. Don't buy a guitar to "fit in."
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Ya if i was buying a guitar to fit in it would be one of those gay looking "heavy metal" ones but I like older bands so i thought this would be good
A lot of people still use SGs. I know one of the guitarists from Underoath uses one, one from Chiodos uses one, some local bands around here use them, and I'm sure a lot more than the ones I've mentioned.

Unless you were saying something else and I misread... in which case I'm an idiot and this post should not be taken seriously.
So why are you worried enough to make a thread about it?

Quote by rnrsoldier1461
I just thought since i dont see many people playing them, maybe there was some kind of disadvantage.

Nope, just a different sound. I like SGs because of the easy access to the upper frets. If you like it then go for it, man. Afterall, it's your guitar so make sure you're happy with it.

EDIT: The only disadvantage I can think of is that they tend to be neck heavy. Just make sure you hold on to the neck.
Last edited by JtoTHAizzosh at Jul 4, 2006,
Quote by rnrsoldier1461
What kind of sound exactly does it have, or how is it different?

Every guitar style sounds different. It has to do with what wood it's made of, body mass, neck material, etc. SGs tend to be a little brighter than LPs but darker than Strats. It shouldn't make much of a difference once you plug in though. The amp and pickups do most of the work as far as tone is concerned. Wood contributes to tone too, but not nearly as much as your amp and pickups will.
^Go try one. There is no way possible, EVER in a million years that anyone could describe the sound of the guitar exactly how you would hear it.

Like I already said, the ONLY difference between the "vintage" G400 and the regular G400 is the finish. Same wood, same pickups, same hardware, same tuners, same sound. The only difference is the finish.

Also, NEVER base your decision for a guitar on other people!!! Just because famous bands don't use something it doesn't mean it's bad. How many bands do you know of that play Washburn guitars? I can think of one. Alkaline Trio. That's it. Does that mean that Washburn guitars are bad? No! My Washburn was $150. It easily stands up to $300 guitars by other companies. It's a great, reliable guitar. And you know what? I'm the only person I know of that uses one. Even here on UG nobody has one. Does that mean it's "bad" or has some kind of "disadvantage"? Not at all.

Pick the guitar you want. Don't even pay attention to who uses one and who doesn't.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
^Go try one. There is no way possible, EVER in a million years that anyone could describe the sound of the guitar exactly how you would hear it.

Like I already said, the ONLY difference between the "vintage" G400 and the regular G400 is the finish. Same wood, same pickups, same hardware, same tuners, same sound. The only difference is the finish.

Also, NEVER base your decision for a guitar on other people!!! Just because famous bands don't use something it doesn't mean it's bad. How many bands do you know of that play Washburn guitars? I can think of one. Alkaline Trio. That's it. Does that mean that Washburn guitars are bad? No! My Washburn was $150. It easily stands up to $300 guitars by other companies. It's a great, reliable guitar. And you know what? I'm the only person I know of that uses one. Even here on UG nobody has one. Does that mean it's "bad" or has some kind of "disadvantage"? Not at all.

Pick the guitar you want. Don't even pay attention to who uses one and who doesn't.

He speaks the truth.
^
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Everything about guitars is preference.

Money can buy you more features, but it really all comes down to the sound that you want, and how you want to get it.

For example, you could get the same sound out of a strat as a Les Paul with enough jimmying around and effects and the right amps... Or you could get a Les Paul. Neither way is wrong, it's just a matter of what you want and how you want it.

Quote by rnrsoldier1461
so basically, screw anything you guys say? haha im kidding so i guess its more of preference then?

Exactly.

And yes, it is more about preference.