Today the last recordings of Johnny Cash (American V) came out. And in honor of that and Mr. Cash I decided to do a cover of "Hurt". Just my cover of an American legend on America's birthday. So please crit (crit for crit) and enjoy everyone.

http://myspace.com/colbyswift
That's actually a Nine Inch Nails song, and your guitar is out of tune on every single one of your covers.
Quote by noxiosimitator
I play guitar long then half the people here .. and I suck double as much

EDIT: on the guitar
EDIT EDIT: in playing with my guitar
EDIT EDIT EDIT: I give up
Yeah, I forgot it was a NIN song. Sorry about that guys but I listen to the Johnny Cash version. And yeah I know the guitar is out of tune but I don't have a tuner and I don't know how to tune by ear. Sorry guys.
hmm let me play the fence
for one
that was an asshole comment up there, dont correct him on the song and then tell him his tune was off without any other words, your a jerk
i didnt listen to the song
but i wanted to correct the person above me.
Are you kidding me Johnny Cash is the original song writer and NIN covered it you fools! lol
How dare you tell him such horrible falsey information. haha
Work to live, not live to work.
Quote by Unborn
Are you kidding me Johnny Cash is the original song writer and NIN covered it you fools! lol

Kidding, right?

And yeah, your guitar is kinda out of tune I think. I have a pretty bad ear. actually i'm slightly tone deaf, so what do I know. but by familiarity I think it's out of tune. Maybe a little flat on some strings. and your timing for soco amaretto lime is off it's supposed to be played slower.
Not fan of the voice I'm afraid. Some wrong lyrics, possibly wrong playing and definately badly tuned guitar.

www.chordbook.com

It has a tuner on the site. You just listen to it and your own strings and you should be able to tune your guitar. Take it as a gift from me to you, make sure you have learned the song properly and give it another shot. I'm sure tuning the instrument alone will make a huge improvement.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
Quote by Unborn

where are you getting your information?
I have the Johnny Cash song, he sounds pretty old so maybe he was the coverer. I personally thought the vocals were prety good, its not like the guitar was brutally out of tune.
okay to get things straight, NIN made the song hurt in 1992, and cash did it on the record before american V am i right? therefore, cash covers nin good
member # 1 of the "I LOVE MY CRAFTER" club. pm ME to join!

RHCP_FAN88 wrote:

THERE's some real info! Thanks Asago! Peppers ****ing rule!

Quote by lsatrarcyy
my nylon g string is white....is that wrong?

Quote by schitz
You have a white nylon g-string? That's HOT!
Thanks for your crits guys. And to stop the argument, yes, "Hurt" was written by NIN and Cash did the cover. But what I've heard of the NIN song I much prefer Cash's version. This is what I based my cover on. So once again thanks for your comments and I will try to comment on everyone's as soon as I get the chance (right now I'm on a slow computer and can't listen to music).
Tuning by ear isn't rocket science...
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Well I haven't learned how to yet dude, so just chill. And by the way I have tuned my guitar now so I'll be working on the song more.
Its not a johnny cash song its a nine inch nails song that cash covered

Quote by Asago
okay to get things straight, NIN made the song hurt in 1992, and cash did it on the record before american V am i right? therefore, cash covers nin good

Actually trent reznor (NIN) made it in 1994...on The Downward Spiral.
Last edited by OpposingForce at Jul 5, 2006,
The Downward Spinal Album from NIN came out 1994, Johnny Cash Covered that song in 2003. He changed a bit of the lyrics I think... I like the JC version better.
Don't you guys get tired of telling him about the tuning. It's not even ridiculously out of tune, yet people(who probably only listened for a second or two) have posts that talk only about it. Retards.

Anyway, I kind of like your voice. I think with a bit more practice you can sound really good, so work on it! The cover's not bad either. Good job on it.

And btw, originally by NIN.

And also, https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388754
Quote by Macabre
The Downward Spinal Album from NIN came out 1994, Johnny Cash Covered that song in 2003. He changed a bit of the lyrics I think... I like the JC version better.

If i'm not mistaken, the only lyric he changed was "crown of shit" to "crown of thorns." I haven't listened to either in a while though.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by TheAdict310
Nothing can beat that original 'Hurt' by NIN.

Wrong. I think the reason everyone thinks that Cash wrote the oringinal and not the cover is because, in fact, his was better by a sevenfold. But to clarify. Cash wrote the cover, changed a few lyrics and made more dramatic, For the 2003 release of American IV. NIN composed it for the '94 release The Downward Spiral.

Johnny wrote several originals yet did several covers for all the American recordings. He changed many of the songs he did into the signature Johnny Cash acoustic style. And for that fact I think the American Recordings is one of the most genius ideas that have come around in a while.

Sorry man that I didn't get to critic your stuff, Its not up there anymore. Im a realy big Johnny Cash fan, if you would to put it back up, I would be happy to crit it for you.