hey
I just got a new guitar and i relized how ****ty my amp is,,ive been blaming my old guitar,but now there is no excuse

soo i need a new amp and ive decided to go for a tube

any sugestions?

i play a Gibson sg and i will want to spend generally around 400$
my current amp is a crate 120 watt

im going for that rock you like a hurricane sound

any help would be very much usefull
MY GEAR
Marshall 15 watt
Crate 120 watt
Mesa Boogie nomad (head)
OLP guitar mm1
Gibson SG Standard
Acoustic guitar (custom painted)
Boss ds1
Boss t2
Ernie Ball Regular Slinky
your not gonna get one for 400 i dont think...

whats wrong with the ds-1 going to the crate?
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
the ds1 just dosnt have the sound im looking for ,,
MY GEAR
Marshall 15 watt
Crate 120 watt
Mesa Boogie nomad (head)
OLP guitar mm1
Gibson SG Standard
Boss ds1
Boss t2
put the 400 in your piggy bank and save up, you aren't really gonna get anything real decent for under 800$ range, unless you go used.
hmm...maybe get a ds-2? more eq on it.
if i were you id save up 300 or so more bucks though.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
ok what about a tone bone distortion pedal, its tubed but but do you guys no if its good or not?
MY GEAR
Marshall 15 watt
Crate 120 watt
Mesa Boogie nomad (head)
OLP guitar mm1
Gibson SG Standard
Boss ds1
Boss t2
i was just looking at that ,,but ive never played it,(sorry im not a guitar god,but learning)
do yall no if its good at all? o ,,and sorry for all the stupid questions
MY GEAR
Marshall 15 watt
Crate 120 watt
Mesa Boogie nomad (head)
OLP guitar mm1
Gibson SG Standard
Boss ds1
Boss t2
peavey valveking = crap

peavey classic = great

save up like $100 - $200 more and get a peavey classic
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
its not crap. its a low end tube amp. but not crap.
xxx

my rig:
-gibson les paul studio (sh4-bridge)
-peavey valve king 212
-electro-harmonix english muff'n
-roland micro cube
-digitech digidelay
-digitech grunge
-rocktron hush pedal
-fender pedal tuner
but seriously what about tone bones?
MY GEAR
Marshall 15 watt
Crate 120 watt
Mesa Boogie nomad (head)
OLP guitar mm1
Gibson SG Standard
Boss ds1
Boss t2
what about a fender blues jr or an epiphone valve jr?

EDIT: are you selling your marshall and crate, did you include that in the $400? and also a fender pro jr amp
Muddy Waters invented electricity.
Peavey Triumph PAG 60 or 120w combo or head, it sounds just like a XXX, the forerunner made in the early to mid 90s. Ive seen them as low as $225 from Daddys Junky Music online used gear site. Shipping may be a problem if youre not in New England.

I dont see many used b/c why would you sell an amp that sounds great like a XXX for next to nothing? I bought mine new in 1993 for $549 and wouldnt consider selling it even if I got something else new.
Last edited by CustomCustom at Jul 4, 2006,
The Tone Bone is a good pedal but it's not going to sound as good through that Crate. Check out some Carvin amps. I have the Bel-Air 212 and I absolutely love it.

http://www.carvin.com/

Seriously, check out Carvin amps.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
you could get a used blues jr or something off ebay for 400
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
I agree with feedback11, the peavey valve king is a pretty decent tube amp for a low price. i tried one out last week and i was suprised how well it sounded for its price range.
Carvin Legacy
Ibanez RG 470 w/Evo's
ESP Viper
Ibanez TS9
MXR Ten-band EQ
MXR Phase 90
MXR Smart-Gate
Boss DD-3
Dime CRybaby from HELL

Microcube
All you need is a Marshall amp.If it's gibson,defenitly a marshall.We've seen big names playing with gibson guitars and have marshall amp such as Ace Frehley,Angus Young and many more!I recomment you a marshall it's just that they have an excellent overdrive and nice and warm clean sound!
My pedals:
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah GCB-95
Ibanez Tube Screamer (TS-9)
Digitech Hot Head
MXR Phase 90
Digitech DigiDelay
Quote by sleepytone
I agree with feedback11, the peavey valve king is a pretty decent tube amp for a low price. i tried one out last week and i was suprised how well it sounded for its price range.

How good is it for some good ol metal?
Quote by Ace Frehley
All you need is a Marshall amp.If it's gibson,defenitly a marshall.We've seen big names playing with gibson guitars and have marshall amp such as Ace Frehley,Angus Young and many more!I recomment you a marshall it's just that they have an excellent overdrive and nice and warm clean sound!

But no F****** MGs!
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
i dont know.

valve kings arent really traditional tube sound. if ur going that way them maybe just get a different $400 solid state amp, like a randall.

if ur looking for tube sound like marshall tube. ur going to want to save a little more. or find a peavey on ebay or something.

the blues jr is a really nice amp. but the gain isnt there. u would need pedals, and im not sure how loud u need ur amp to be. the jr is only 15tube watts.

traynor blue 50, is supposed to be right up ur alley gain -wise, but they are about a hundred or so more.

(i never got to try the 50, but the 40 had a really nice tone.)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i just bought a valve king, its great value for a tube amp. the tone is great for your classic rock and heavy rock like guns and roses. the reason why people say its crap is because they are distortion freaks and are very inexperienced players. a good player can make any amp sound good, apart from those practice amps which the tone is just a load of fuzz.

for a low end valve amp i would recommend the peavey valve king or the classic.

Go out and try them out.
Member #7 of the Gibson Guild, PM Chadillac006 to join
i think he'd do better with a bigger step up from crate.

his ear recognized it as tonally lacking, and altho, i dont think the peavey valve king is crap, it could do well with a speaker change.

he's right under the price range of some really great amps.

maybe it's better to get something thats not going to need to be upgraded for a while.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
the blues jr is a really nice amp. but the gain isnt there. u would need pedals, and im not sure how loud u need ur amp to be. the jr is only 15tube watts.

only 15 watts of tube power? 15 watts of class A all tube is LOUD.

Anyway, here are your options for 400 dollar or less tube amps.

1. Fender Blues Jr.
2. Peavey Classic 30 (used)
3. Crate v1512

All of them will more than likely not get the gain you're looking for, but there's nothing wrong with throwing a pedal in front of a great clean tone. I own a Crate v1512, and don't let the Crate name scare you. it is a fan-****ing-tastic amp. Go to a guitar center and try them all out.

You other option is to save some more money.
^yeah ive got one and i know how loud it is. but he's been using a crate 120W.

there's no way the jr is as loud. for all i know he's got a full band and plays high gain.

and u cant always throw a pedal in front to gain it up.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Ace Frehley

That was a pretty mindless post. Just because big name guitarists use that equipment doesn't mean you have to use it too. Many people use Gibson guitars, but they don't all restrict themselves to Marshall amplification just because the big boys like it.

Try out different types of amps in your price range and choose the one YOU like.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Second hand classic 30? You could sell your crate and put it towards it. I ****ing love that amp btw

Jimbob78
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

sell your Crate if you don't like it. then youll have the extra money to get yourself a decent tube amp
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
^ the larger ones would work. I know I can get a Traynor YCV 40 for that price, and it kicks ass. All tube, very nice warm sound. Firebird sounded great through one buy parents wouldn't let me get it.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Let me add the Ampeg Jet and Superjet to the mix Both great amps in the blues jr. range.

If you can find them on ebay you could go with an Ampeg Reverberocket (50w, 2 ch, think hot rod deville) for around $500.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
epiphone valve jr head with the epiphone valve 4 x 12 cabinet. that's a tube half-stack that's within your budget, and since it is not that loud (compared to other tubes), you can easily crank it and get true overdrive.
malmsteen on jerry c "you are a rising force"
Peavey ValveKing head is $500 and the cabinet is like $350

All tube power, great tone ive heard its similar to a Marshall JCM 900 Superlead with a little more gain
-Ibanez SAS36FM
-B.C. Rich Warcock Platinum Edition (my first guitar, noob mistake)
-Roland Cube-30
Quote by thatwillbethat
hey
I just got a new guitar and i relized how ****ty my amp is,,ive been blaming my old guitar,but now there is no excuse

soo i need a new amp and ive decided to go for a tube

any sugestions?

i play a Gibson sg and i will want to spend generally around 400$
my current amp is a crate 120 watt

im going for that rock you like a hurricane sound

any help would be very much usefull

Epiphone Valve Jr LANCE
Sell your Crate and you have some more money, at least 200 more, you might be able to get a B-52 100 watt 2x12 combo. Great amp. I have the halfstack version of it, it kicks ass. And they sound very similar. If you buy the combo, and later you can buy a 4x12 cab and power the cab with the combo.

Gear
Gibson Explorer
Epi Les Paul Standard

Amp
B-52 AT-100 Half stack.