Hey there,

I've recently (or not that recently, as the case is - but I'm a lazy bastard, and I digress) begun working with sweep picking - I just read through an article about it on www.insaneguitar.com, and the one thing I didn't understand was sequencing. He never explains what sequencing is; rather, he just starts talking about the possibilities it opens up.

I'm guessing it's something along the lines of moving a scale pattern up and down the fretboard, but that's just a stab in the dark from looking at the tabs in there.

Can anyone explain to me exactly what sequencing is and what it has to do with sweep picking?
Basically, sequencing is the repetition of a melody at a higher or lower pitch level. I think you're on the right track, it would be moving the sweeping line up or down the fretboard. However, this is not at all limited to sweeping; you can do sequencing with any lick.

Apparently sequencing can be classified in different ways, depending on whether the harmony is also transposed, if the chords are changed behind it or not changed, etc., but I am a little tired to try learning it now lol.
^ Harmony doesn't /really/ matter that much, it's a melodic idea. Basically you're right, it's more or less moving the same idea up/down pitchwise. It can be either the exact same thing, or it can be modified to stay diatonic (or relatively so). It can also be modified, and a bunch of other little stuff I'm not in the mood to sit and explain.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
So wait, let's say we're doing a bass line, just picking one in the dark, In Da Gadda da vidda, and you start it on the 1st string instead of the 2nd, it's called sequencing? (Just checking my understanding)
-Roy

My Gear
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Some cruddy classical that my parents bought off ebay for like 40 bucks.
Last edited by Roymond at Jul 5, 2006,
It doesn't really matter about string, it's not where you play it, it's what pitch it's at. But yes, that would be one way to sequence something....
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club