How good are Danelectro pedals? They're kind of cheap, but do they sound good? Anyone here have some experience with them?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
no, they pretty much sound like crap, and if you step on them too hard, you'll break them.
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
nobody likes them. too bad i bought the black coffee distortion before i knew how bad they were. they drain 9v batterries in like 4 hours of playing too.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Ive heard great things about the Fish 'N Chips, but nothing first hand. Anyone know anything, cause Id really like to know as well.
i think theyre made of plastic and they break easily. on top of bad tone. dont expect too much from a $20 pedal.
xxx

my rig:
-gibson les paul studio (sh4-bridge)
-peavey valve king 212
-electro-harmonix english muff'n
-roland micro cube
-digitech digidelay
-digitech grunge
-rocktron hush pedal
-fender pedal tuner
They're only $20 so if you don't like it you're not out much. I've been thinking about picking up one of the Sitar Swami ones just for kicks.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
theyre ok but they are cheap and will break
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Fish n Chips is nice for the money.

I have one, I'm going Guitar>dano>amp with it.

It makes a difference, but not a ton. I hear it works wonders when it goes through the FX loop, which I don't have on my amp... (cube 60)

But, it doesn't sound bad, or distort your sound at all. It's great for the price, use an adapter, I haven't tried 9v batteries yet.
I bought the FAB Metal by danelectro when i first started playing. I loved it at the time. Its alright, good for the 20 bucks i guess. And yes, i went through at least 20 9v batteries in the first week or 2.
Wow. I'm kinda suprised you don't know all about this, Xenn. You are like the know-it-all around here.
Quote by Dæmönika
I'm afraid of you...MDoggDX316phobia

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: The Hype Man of the UG Hip
Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
They are very good for the price. Those who say they break easily obviously like to throw their pedals around a lot.

They will not break if you step on them. They will not break if you use them in the manor they are meant to be used in. I've had good experience with the Uni-Vibe, the EQ and the Phaser. They all sounded good when I tried them out.

I currently own the compressor. I'll admit it wasn't much of a compressor, but it did the job pretty well considering the price. My dad's stereo system rack thing collapsed on it with some other stuff and one of the knobs broke off, but that was an accident and wasn't out of normal use.

So yes, I've had some experience with them but I would recommend only them only for modulation (phaser, univibe, flanger, etc) and not for distortion or anything. The tuner is supposed to be pretty decent as well. They're really good for the price and damn easy to sell secondhand if you dont like it much (especially since they're so cheap in store that people don't realize it.)
Some are great, some suck, but all of them are pretty good for the cash.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by thatgu1targuy
i have their overdrive, and for the price you cant beat it

dont expect rackmount quality, but its worth a try

and btw xenn, hows that pedal problem going?

Bah...I returned the thing and had to get another one (no receipt=no money back ever) and it's doing the same thing. I don't know what's causing it. I'll play around with it tomorrow and try to figure it out.

Quote by MDoggDX316
Wow. I'm kinda suprised you don't know all about this, Xenn. You are like the know-it-all around here.

I know a lot about guitars and some amps, but guitar pedals is a weak spot in my wealth of guitar knowledge.

I'm trying to gain a bit of info on some so that I don't ever make the mistake of buying another pedal like my Lyon by Washburn Distortion pedal.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
The Fish n Chips EQ gets very good reviews, comparable in tone to the Boss GE-7, but less noise. The negatives are the plastic body and some units will squeal.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
^ Mine squeals when I have it plugged into the amp without an input.

Make sure you fill out your warranty card.
I've heard the squeal comes from mismatched power (?). Danelectro says using a battery instead of power supply fixes the squeal, unverified.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
i own a dan echo.
it does its job. i dont stomp on it much, its a secondary effect. im gentle when i do however.
The higher end ones are pretty good pedals.
Don't get one of the 20$ ones though, they're shit.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
I got a FAB chorus for free with my Vox wah \m/ and it sounds pretty great. Really shoddy construction, and the in/outs are on the top so you need patch cables and not the little hard offset adapter things. The switch is too small to. And it's made out of plastic. Haven't used it more than 10 minutes though, so I don't know about battery consumption.
I have a distortion and it works fine. It hasn't broken, probably because I don't throw it in a boiling pot of magma like some of these people do. I have had it for a week I use it everyday and the battery has yet to wer out. It's a great pedal.
Quote by Krost
a Ghost possessed my dog and made him buy a 50 cent CD.

Watch it now, watch it!

"I died a little inside when Steve Irwin died...RIP"

Honorary Masshole. PM SOADFanSince'98 to join.
Quote by mattyyy
They sound better than MG's.
lol

Wow. How witty.

Your parents should be ashamed for bringing a dumbass like you into the world.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I'd imagine that since the casings suck, you could take the gut and and install them in your guitar as a kind of 'built-in" effect.
Quote by Xenn99
Wow. How witty.

Your parents should be ashamed for bringing a dumbass like you into the world.

I was just kidding. Calm down, man.

I wouldn't use Danelectros for distortion or overdrive, modulation are usually alright.
Quote by MastaBassist10
I'd imagine that since the casings suck, you could take the gut and and install them in your guitar as a kind of 'built-in" effect.

I've seen a lot of people go and remove the guts and put them in your standard sturdy aluminium enclosures. Some have even gone and made the things true bypass. Modding anything else is hard since they use service mounted devices but for the price they go for you can't really complain too much
Quote by seljer
I've seen a lot of people go and remove the guts and put them in your standard sturdy aluminium enclosures. Some have even gone and made the things true bypass. Modding anything else is hard since they use service mounted devices but for the price they go for you can't really complain too much

But could you install one right before the output jack and put holes in for the controls and on/offswitch?
Quote by MastaBassist10
But could you install one right before the output jack and put holes in for the controls and on/offswitch?

also possible, but the pedals are actually made in 2 parts.

1 circuit board contains the actual effect and is unique to each of them, the other board contains the bypass circuit and is the same in all of them. And if you're a purist you may want to get rid of that bypass board. Though leaving that board in there with the effect turn permanently on and adding an external switch is also perfectly doable.

This guy is making some kind of rack system out of them: http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/FABRack/
I've heard Behringer has really good pedals for the money too.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by Wayward_Son

The thing with Behringer is that their pedals are blatant ripoffs of other ones :/
Quote by seljer
also possible, but the pedals are actually made in 2 parts.

1 circuit board contains the actual effect and is unique to each of them, the other board contains the bypass circuit and is the same in all of them. And if you're a purist you may want to get rid of that bypass board. Though leaving that board in there with the effect turn permanently on and adding an external switch is also perfectly doable.

This guy is making some kind of rack system out of them: http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/FABRack/

Whats the bypass board do? Is that the one that creates artificial bypass?
Quote by MastaBassist10
Whats the bypass board do? Is that the one that creates artificial bypass?

its basically a fancy electronic bypass system...instead of a more industrial mechanical switch. It works pretty well really, plenty of people used pedals with a similiar system without much problem.
Quote by seljer
its basically a fancy electronic bypass system...instead of a more industrial mechanical switch. It works pretty well really, plenty of people used pedals with a similiar system without much problem.

So you're saying that instead of using artificial bypass, I can just take out that board, leave the pedal on all the time and just bypass it with switch, it'll sound better and be easier to wire?
Quote by MastaBassist10
So you're saying that instead of using artificial bypass, I can just take out that board, leave the pedal on all the time and just bypass it with switch, it'll sound better and be easier to wire?

If you're really picky about your bypass and want 100% truebypass (when the pedal is switched off its like if it weren't even in the signal chain) then yep.

Not sure if it'd be easier to wire though, as you'd probably have to remove the jacks and do some other stuff.

though looking at a pic of the pedal there, it seems like only 4 wires go to the actual effect board and my guess is that they are ground, +9v, the input of the circuit and the output of the circuit.

actually, you could create an external bypass box/chain thing and hook up all your pedals to it http://www.singlecoil.com/tb-strip/tbstrip.html
Last edited by seljer at Jul 17, 2006,
Quote by Wayward_Son

yea I've got the TU100 pedal tuner and its great and alot cheaper than the BOSS pedal tuner and prob just as good. Casing is like plastic or something but if your not a reckless idiot it'll last you.
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
Quote by seljer
If you're really picky about your bypass and want 100% truebypass (when the pedal is switched off its like if it weren't even in the signal chain) then yep.

Not sure if it'd be easier to wire though, as you'd probably have to remove the jacks and do some other stuff.

though looking at a pic of the pedal there, it seems like only 4 wires go to the actual effect board and my guess is that they are ground, +9v, the input of the circuit and the output of the circuit.

actually, you could create an external bypass box/chain thing and hook up all your pedals to it http://www.singlecoil.com/tb-strip/tbstrip.html

That's pretty cool. I'm thinking of installing a French Toast (octave up) between my killswitch and my output on my "DJ" guitar.
there is one pedal by them, called the Black Licorice i think. It actually sounds awesome. It's like a really thick and funky kind of distortion. Plus it's danelectro so it's cheap. Probably made bad though :-(
Schecter C-1 Classic
Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 602
Line 6 DL-4
Line 6 FM-4
Boss MT-2
MXR Phase 90
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah Limited
Electro Harmonix Small Stone