I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing, but could somebody give me a brief explaination on how to alt pick, just in case? I could also use some exercises to help with my speed. Should I just play scales up and down using alt picking? Songs that make good use of it would also be appreciated.
A good speed excercise is to learn some scales, and play them ascending and descending slowly and gain speed. Using a metronome helps to do this.
My gear:

Guitars
Schecter C1 Plus (Black Cherry)
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 (Sunburst)
Fender Squier Strat (Blue)
Martin DXK2
Marquis

Amplification
Line 6 Spider 2 212

Accessories/Effects
Dunlop Tortex .60s
Dunlop Crybaby
alternate picking is just up down motion, ALTERNATING between up and down, so just use a metrenome and pick your low e up and down at faster and faster tempos til you have it smooth and fast
Quote by megadave_49
alternate picking is just up down motion, ALTERNATING between up and down, so just use a metrenome and pick your low e up and down at faster and faster tempos til you have it smooth and fast

Ok that's what I thought. Thanks
Alternate Picking should be used on everything and anything you play. Alternate picking is an upstroke (picking the string up twords the ceiling) followed by a downstroke (picking a string down twords the ground). ang keep that going. Or you can start with a downstroke, then do a upstroke. But it's gotta be alternating. Down, up, down, up, etc. Good exersises are scales, and try B.Y.O.B by System Of A Down for exersise on it.

EDIT: Darn it too late
Quote by triple_X_maniac
AMERICA FTW!!!

lol jk we suck

<A HREF=

<A HREF=
Alternate picking is the act of striking the string on both the up and down stroke of the pick. Used to play notes in quicker succession, because you don't have to reset the pick above the string to continue the progression.

I would recommend that you first practice with a metronome (heard there was a free one online somewhere) to make sure you get the timing down on slower bpm (try 60 - 90) before cranking up the speed.

As far as songs go... I would recommend any song that you really like. I started by playing old Megadeth, Metallica and Slayer before moving to my own compositions.

Hope this helps,
BE
Ok so it would seem I've been using alt picking all along and just never knew it had a name.