A lot of guitars have coil tapping pickups stock.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
Coil tapping is splitting your humbucker into a single coil.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
Quote by Clay Treznum
So if I have single coils...coil tapping is pointless??

Not possible.
Do you have to have pickups made for coil tapping, or is it the pots that actually split the coils?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Most name-bran p'ups can be coil tapped. If they are not, the wires that go between the two coils are simply connected together, but with coil tapping, there is a switch, (or push-pull pot) that switches the second coil in or out.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
so does the seymore duncan humbucker in my DK2 have coil taping?
My Gear

Kramer Jersey Star
Jackson DK2
Epi Lp Standard
Takamine G series
Marshall DFX 30 mg series
Boss Gt8 foot pedal

member of the 'i cant spell yngwhey mhalmstreem club'

PM me to join
Quote by YoungPilgrim
Coil tapping is splitting your humbucker into a single coil.

nope thats coil splitting

edit 1:
Quote by Clay Treznum
So if I have single coils...coil tapping is pointless??

no, it could be the sound your looking for

edit 2:
Quote by jmac72187
Not possible.

yes it is

edit 3:
Quote by Xenn99
Do you have to have pickups made for coil tapping, or is it the pots that actually split the coils?

yep the pickups need to be made specifically for being tapped
Last edited by azn_guitarist25 at Jul 5, 2006,
if u have a 4 wire humbucker u can split it. u just run the extra wires to a push pull pot u install. at a cost of under $10.
it wont sound exactlly like a humbucker split into a single coil. but it allows for extra tones and thats a cool thing.

if u want top tap into a humbucker ull usually want to order the humbucker from the factory or learn how to add the lead to the coils of the humbucker. u can bleed off the humbucker output from high to low.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
actually if you buy from seymour duncan look for models that have Tapped written next to them usually their found on single coils but i dont know if theyre also available on the humbuckers
SD has a pretty good sales team. u can order taps, high output pups and covers,

all for a price tho.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

well, cmon its a business they gotta make some money for doing stuff different from what they usually sell
Coil tapping cancels out one of the coils so only one coil is used giving it a single coil tone.

Humbuckers are basically just two single coils wired together so they cancel out the hum.

As long as you have four conductor wiring you can coil tap it. Like with gibson pickups you can't because gibson is f***ing retarded and wont get with the time and still uses braided wire.

"nope thats coil splitting"

two words for same thing
wrong sorry. splitting is not tapping and tapping is not cancelling a coil.^

read the other posts.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

arite whats the difference between splitting and tapping...being that i use actives the majority of the time i dont know the difference
Go get your shovel.
i thought it was pretty clear already but basically

if u have a really strong 4-wire humbucker and u want extra tones out of it.
u can "split" it by wiring it up to a push pull pot. its not a true single coil sound but its an easy mod, and u might like the sound.

to tap, means ur tapping into the humbucker coils. ur running a wire from the coils, and bleeding off the high output, to get a low output sound from that humbucker.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yeah when u tap into a pickup (run a line to the coil) u can tap it at different spots and get different sounds.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

My understanding is that a Coil Split is when you split a humbucker into a single coil, which is common.

What is not so common is Coil Tap , where a pickup is wound so that it has a Tap and/or extra two wires coming from the coil. You can, through a switch, have the full coil or part of the coil, the tap.

That Coil Tap PU has two options for the output strength so if you have a single coil PU which has a DC resistance of 10K, you could switch (Tap) it so that the PU would have less resistance, for example, 6K. This Coil Tapping is only possible if the PU was wound that way ... very different from Coil Split.