Could you give me several examples of common chord progressions that bands such as Pearl Jam and Soundgarden use?
God.....Why did I add Mudvayne to my name?
Please forgive me my fellow brothers (and sisters i guess..?) in guitar.
thank you im so glad you didnt say nirvana cuz i was gonna make fun of nirvana so bad

um try the standard I IV V progression
Quote by fil69
Hu r emos???

Quote by .Sidewinder.
could someone translate that last post for me please?
Why were you going to make fun of Nirvana but then suggest the single most common chord progression in music? That's kind of odd.
I need something that sounds really gritty...or would that just come from my tone? You see my voice...is...um...not very good so yeah...
God.....Why did I add Mudvayne to my name?
Please forgive me my fellow brothers (and sisters i guess..?) in guitar.
just strum your guitar still it kind of sounds good. That's all grunge is anyway in tune fuzz.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
That grunge sound has more to do tone and rhythm than the chords you're playing. Just make sure you're playing in key and move some power chords around. There is no "grunge progression". It's more about how you play than what you play.

Try some lower chord voicings for a heavier sound.

Also... pick out some grunge bands or songs you like and analyize the tabs. You may find they have a lot in common as far as key, technique, etc.
try using the natural minor scale, with the flat fifth added in (so its like the blues scale mixed with the natural minor)

and use the chord built from that flat fifth alot
Some grunge is just random ****. Some is kind of stranger punk. The rest is a combination. Dont forget to add distortion and that your singers voice cracks with some rock beats on the bass and drums. Add water and you have grunge!!!!!
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
This what you get when you mess with us.
I IV iii vi

Best. Progression. Ever.

Sorry, it's Nirvana, but it's a common grunge progression.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.