Okay I love Nirvana. I feel my true music passion with their sound, as it is very addicting and the melodies are simply amazing.
Nirvana is a band that has been ranted and raved about, both ways of opinion of them being a quality band, and has had so much airtime most people in America over the age of 11 years old has heard Smells Like TEen Spirit.
The first thing I want to mention is that the band is criticised for the lack of real riff material, rather uses chord progressions and power chord rythm guitar to make songs.
It's easy to say, "Oh look how Smells Like Teen Spirit is only four chords! This is so easy to play," when you have heard it along with a bunch of other songs that tries to produce the same kind of forumula. But you have to know how ****ing amazing this was. This BROKE GROUND, people. The vocals, the sound, it was revolutioninizing.
Nirvana didn't put out something that sounded like anyone before them. Kurt was very very abstract with writing his songs. Its amazing how good they sound. How addicting they sound.
Don't give me bullsh*t about how you think Kurt couldn't play guitar. Kurt made songs that no one before him could make.

Now with that point you probably think I am saying Nirvana made grunge.
Of course he didnt.
Cobain, Grohl, and Noveselic were all present in the Seattle area when grunge exploded in about the mid-80's. It was very indie however, gaining little to no mainstream play. Grunge was really opened up by The Melvins, Soundgarden, etc. for the mainstream, but Nirvana put out a grunge sound that no other grunge artist had put out.
Nirvana's style was punk (no not pop punk) with lots of grunge intertwined.

Have you ever looked at some of Nirvana's lyrics?

Holy sh*t, man. Poetic. Of substance. It had meaning!

Kurt's lyrics were not the same overused phrases that the mainstream puts to us all day long. Kurt had lyrics that were very intellectual and musically and in literature terms, "genious."

Here are some examples of what I mean:

DUMB- Nirvana
Im not like them
But I can pretend
The sun is gone
But I have a light
The day is done
But Im having fun
I think Im dumb
Or maybe just happy

Think Im just happy [repeat 3x]

My heart is broke
But I have some glue
Help me inhale
And mend it with you
Well float around
And hang out on clouds
Then well come down
And I have a hangover

Have a hangover [repeat 3x]

Skin the sun
Fall asleep
Wish away
The soul is cheap
Lesson learned
Wish me luck
Soothe the burn
Wake me up

She eyes me like a pisces when I am weak
I've been locked inside your Heart Shaped box for weeks
I've been drawn into your magnet tar pit trap
I wish I could eat your cancer when you turn black

Hey!
Wait!
I've got a little complaint
Forever in debt to your priceless advice
hate!
haight!
Hey!
Wait!

...your advice

Meat-eating orchids forgive no one just yet
Cut myself on Angel Hair and baby's breath
Broken hymen of your highness I'm left black
Throw down your umbilical noose so I can climb right back

DRAIN YOU- Nirvana
One baby to another says -
I'm lucky to met you
I don't care what you think
Unless it is about me
It is now my duty to completely drain you
I travel through a tube
To end up in your affection

Chew your meat up for you
Pass it back and forth
In a passionate kiss
From my mouth to yours
I like you

With eyes so dialated,
I've become your pupil
You've taught me everything
About a poison apple
The water is so yellow, I'm a healthy student
Indebted and so grateful -
Vacuum out the fluids

Alright so I have spoken two points I hold of Nirvana so far:

1. Original sound, vocals, music, etc.
2. Unique, poetic, intellectual lyrics

On the point of which Nirvana album is best?
None of them really are better than each other, in my opinion.

Bleach was their first studio album, an album that shows them in their most raw, grunge stage. Here they still are playing along the kind of late 80's post hard rock grunge mix they are used to hearing, etc. However they still have a sound that is unique, beyond the underground bands music and lyrics.

Nevermind is their second album, which exploded them into the mainstream and, seemingly overnight, gave them stardom, which was very well deserved. Nevermind is Nirvana's critically acclaimed "best" album but I think, personally, In Utero takes that place.

Incesticide was their third album which really was just a compilation cd of unreleased tracks and demos. While some say it lacks toward the middle of the album, this album shows a mix of Bleach and Nevermind and some of what Kurt was coming from from The Vaselines, Meat Puppets, and The Melvins, etc.

In Utero is their album that tried to shoo off some of the more "go with the crowd" fans. It's seriously a great album and shows Nirvana in their truest most purest form in my opinion.

Another good way to MOST ACCURATELY experience Nirvana is to listen to the Box set "With the Lights Out". It provides great demos and unreleased material that really shows what Nirvana was behind some of the polish some of the mainstream tried to present them with it.

Okay I hoped this short overview of Nirvana helped a little bit.

~Radio Addict
Don't give me bullsh*t about how you think Kurt couldn't play guitar. Kurt made songs that no one before him could make.

im gonna do you a favor by not flaming you but im going to rationally explain this. that quote from you is in fact, completly false. im not sure how old you are but if you havent heard the hundreds of amazing guitarists that came before Kurt and wrote things 50 times harder than he ever could have DREAMED, then i feel sorry for you. Some suggested material for you written prior to the Kurt era is: Malmsteen, Zakk Wylde, Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhodes. Thats a fraction of the people i could name that completly disprove your theory
Quote by Allnightmask22
It's like an internet "_____ Name Generator." Close family member + crude name for genitals + compromising sexual scenario + embarrassing or unknown sexual state (IE: Bestiality, incest, necrophilia) = Insult Gold.
Quote by 2lazy2getbetter
im gonna do you a favor by not flaming you but im going to rationally explain this. that quote from you is in fact, completly false. im not sure how old you are but if you havent heard the hundreds of amazing guitarists that came before Kurt and wrote things 50 times harder than he ever could have DREAMED, then i feel sorry for you. Some suggested material for you written prior to the Kurt era is: Malmsteen, Zakk Wylde, Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhodes. Thats a fraction of the people i could name that completly disprove your theory

I do believe he is talking about the lyrics, which are very original.
Just like your user name, IamIronMan. Somebody should make that into a song or something. Oh wait...
Quote by Allnightmask22
It's like an internet "_____ Name Generator." Close family member + crude name for genitals + compromising sexual scenario + embarrassing or unknown sexual state (IE: Bestiality, incest, necrophilia) = Insult Gold.
2lazy2getbetter: Saying that there were better guitarists before and after Cobain is a very redundant statement. Yes, Kurt Cobain was a very poor guitarist. Yes, his technical skills were very minimal. You're right, he was no Randy Rhoads.

His lyrics, however, you can't deny. His use of clever metaphors and plays on words was fantastic and a big breath of fresh air compared to the hard rock/hair metal of the 80's.

Replying to the perfectly rational and civil post of IamIronMan88 with a dig at his username shows you're probably nothing more than another heavy metal elitist, though. I'm not sure why I bothered writing this post actually.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Who doesnt know this? i mean not to down on your post of intellect, but if he wasnt dead right now im more then sure of them being complete laughing stocks of the music scene by now. He was not a great guitarist by any stretch of the mind, he wrote simple riffs and just made it work with the arrangments. Regardless this thread is....just rehashing something we have all (ALL) heard before. Some like, and some dont like, wow thats life, pointless thread bro
The Ramones were even worse and they're not laughing stocks

Agreed, though. All been covered before.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
2lazy2getbetter: Saying that there were better guitarists before and after Cobain is a very redundant statement. Yes, Kurt Cobain was a very poor guitarist. Yes, his technical skills were very minimal. You're right, he was no Randy Rhoads.

His lyrics, however, you can't deny. His use of clever metaphors and plays on words was fantastic and a big breath of fresh air compared to the hard rock/hair metal of the 80's.

Replying to the perfectly rational and civil post of IamIronMan88 with a dig at his username shows you're probably nothing more than another heavy metal elitist, though. I'm not sure why I bothered writing this post actually.

lol dude i never said his lyrics were bad. he was a good writer lyrically. and i was joking about his user name. you need to chill. besides that fact, i hate heavy metal
Quote by Allnightmask22
Sorry dude. Heavy metal tends to produce a lotta fans who hold technical skill above all else, though, and your first post did kinda reek of it, namechecking Rhoads and Zakk Wylde et al.
lol its cool my point was only that even if you like nirvana (heck even i do) its silly to say he was great at guitar. lets all just accept the fact that he aws average and move on. but yes hes a good writer
Quote by Allnightmask22
I pretty much agree with all these posts. I really like the Nirvana lyrics and I really LIKE the guitar too. It wouldn't really fit if Kurt was doing 200bpm shredding solos would it? The lyrics were Nirvana's strong point.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
I'm pretty sure Nirvana aren't indie.

They were pretty much grunge in every way.

And I don't like em much.

They're kind of meh.
Because light strikes a deal with each coming night.
I'm not entirely sure what this topic is in this forum for either.