Niko Kaartinen of Finland's Imperiumi webzine recently conducted an interview with STRAPPING YOUNG LAD mastermind Devin Townsend. A few excerpts from the chat follow (translated from Finnish by Mike Portnoy forum member "tommidt"):

Imperiumi: "The New Black" is STRAPPING YOUNG LAD's fifth and final record for Century Media. Is this the last record of SYL's career?

Devin: "I hope so. I believe so. I signed a five-album deal with Century Media and this is now the fifth. There you have five records; they are very happy with that and I've done my job. Next! (laughs)"

Imperiumi: What did the Century Media people think when you told them that you were going to take rest of the year off be with your family? Wouldn't this be the best time to promote SYL [seeing as you have a new record coming out]?

Devin: "Well, this might get me in trouble, but I couldn't care less. Should I be on tour while I have a newborn baby at home? My wife is pregnant, so should I be far from home drinking booze and pretending that I care about heavy metal? In how many different ways I can say that I don't care? In how many ways I can say that I'm through with this thing? I said I'd make five records, [and] I did them. We are now doing a European tour, playing some big shows. Fine. We'll do Ozzfest; those are big shows too. We don't need anything else, in my opinion. . . You can keep 'The New Black', I don't care anymore. Keep the rights to the band, do what you want. I don't care anymore, and I think it is just stupid. The manager, the band and record company look at me now just like I am the enemy, because I feel this way. But what can you do? You can't just keep going like this anymore. I have done this for a several years now."

Imperiumi: But still, it is about your life. You want to be able to control it.

Devin: "Exactly, if you are not able to control it, you are wasted. You'll end up being a junkie or an alcoholic who ends up cheating your wife. Or you'll end up a fake rock star, thinking you actually are one."

Imperiumi: Is the the gap between SYL and your solo material becoming closer?

Devin: "It feels like I'm less and less angry all the time. Even THE DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND will put out softer stuff in the future, so the SYL material feels even harder now compared to my solo material. My next recordings will probably be something like this (points out the beautiful nature of Finland's Provinssirock festival), something [representing] beautiful scenery. Beautiful things. I don't have to be hard/tough (heavy) anymore. I'm 34 years old, I'm already old."

Imperiumi: How do you want SYL to be remembered?

Devin: "As a big middle finger! How else?"

Imperiumi: Does Gene (Hoglan, SYL drummer) know yet that this is the last record?

Devin: "Umm... I don't know. I don't think anyone knows that. I just HOPE this is the last one, because I don't have anything to say with this band anymore. Who knows what the future will bring? Now I just hope that I can do other things."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=54611
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
Last edited by kirkisking at Jul 5, 2006,
double sad face
Gear

PRSCustom 24

Jackson DXMG w/ sh-13 dimebucker & sh12 jazz

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo head and matching 4x12 cab

Hendrix dunlop Wah

TS-7 tube screamer
Quote by Kirkomelette
Well, they were average anyway.

Agreed. I never really thought SYL was that great. Devin Townsend's solo stuff was way better imo. But Gene, Gene is the man.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
Quote by Kirkomelette
Well, they were average anyway.
Have you made a single fucking intelligent post in this forum yet? If you have, I've not seen it. Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing with you, but you're quite the prick when it comes to presenting your opinions.
Quote by <><
Have you made a single fucking intelligent post in this forum yet? If you have, I've not seen it. Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing with you, but you're quite the prick when it comes to presenting your opinions.

Are you whining about my opinion?
YAY
JESUS LOVES YOU
KIRKOMELETTE IS COOL
Quote by kirkisking
Agreed. I never really thought SYL was that great. Devin Townsend's solo stuff was way better imo. But Gene, Gene is the man.

Yeah. I enjoy his solo stuff. I never really got into SYL. I guess it's best for him and his family.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Kirkomelette
Are you whining about my opinion?
Yes, yes I am. You have a problem with that? Shove it up your ass.
Quote by <><
Yes, yes I am. You have a problem with that? Shove it up your ass.

Heh right.
YAY
JESUS LOVES YOU
KIRKOMELETTE IS COOL
Maybe Devin can take some time off and grow some real hair...
Quote by zachbino57
CSguitarvocal is correct as usual, pepsi tastes much better out of a can.

Quote by TWISTEDFender
And CSguitarvocal for teh win.
*Sits in a corner and rocks back and forth*
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Sure, It's nice and he deserves a time out and stuff....

Quick! Kick him in the nuts so he gets pissed of at something again!
</IMO>
Quote by Dyer's Eve
*Sits in a corner and rocks back and forth*

*joins*
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Oh, that's some really sad news!

Last edited by -Alek- at Jul 5, 2006,
Only just got into SYL, so I doubt I'll be missing them much, but I still hope DTB keeps going, I prefer that to SYL.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
That's kinda sad, although I'm not a fan... His interviews are funny, though...
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by -Alek-
Oh, that's some really sad news!

I should rape your throat. But i'm in a state of loss so i won't.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by chemicalsolutio
wow, I didn't know he was that eager to call SYL quits.

No kidding. Watch him turn into an anti-metal crusader now who takes every opportunity in his interviews to slag the genre.

THE TREND IS OVER
YOU WON'T NEED THAT ANYMORE
ITS ON SALE AT THE FUCKING DOLLAR STORE
(Copied from the SYL thread)

I'm probably the only guy on the planet going "yay". Why? Cause I like Devin's solo work more than SYL to be honest. Its just such great emotional, ownage stuff, with such great atmosphere. Sure SYL is tons of fun, but not many can match Devin's emotion and songwriting in his solo stuff. Don't think this article is like "I'm quitting music", he's obviously not, its Devin Townsend for God sakes. If he spends more time on his solo stuff... well great, looking forward to it. Probably not the way most people will respond, but thats how I see it.

And on another note, it seems hte people at Century Media are kinda being pricks, kinda letting him down and what not. Devin's not dumb, I think he's kinda fed up, and can you blame him? I'm all for new solo stuff, it should be awesome if you ask me, I don't see him turning into a big prick any time soon.

Edit: This is from June 21st off his official forum, made by Devin

Man, I can't thank you guys enough.

You guys make the music alive. I tend to live in a bubble, but coming out of it every now and again to meet, work with, and talk to people about the same things...(especially over the internet where physical **** doesn't get in the way of proceedings), makes me realize how vital each and every one of you is to each and every song.

As I'm getting older, the music is flowing stronger. Life is so wierd that music is a no-brainer...It's what I'm cleaning the cat box and taking out the recycling in order to get a chance to do.

Thanks for the opportunity to play for you. I'll keep rockin, and I ain't ever planning on stoppin'.

Love,

The Dev.

No worries people, he ain't going away any time soon.
Last edited by BrofUJu at Jul 5, 2006,
Responding to Devin's comments from the Imperiumi interview, Hoglan has issued the following statement:

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, I read the Finnish interview. True, Dev is burnt out, and of course he can change his mind quicker than bolt of lightning, but, just two days ago, he and I were talking about the next SYL record, what we're gonna do on it, and how absolutely mind-blowing it will be. We ARE taking some time off for Devin to have some much-needed family time, but, we ARE hitting the road again in March 2007, headlining tours of both America and Europe, as well as Australia and the Far East. And I am shooting the straight **** with you, as I always do. We are too good to just dissolve, and those are Dev's words. I will never apologize for one of my bandmates speaking his mind, and if that was what was on Devin's mind at that exact time and date, then that's what was on his mind. Give the man some space. Don't worry kiddies, STRAPPING YOUNG LAD is not disappearing anytime soon. We are a ****in' fungus. No cream or lotion is gonna do us in that easily. Unless, of course, it's Vagisil."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=54632

I, for one, am not mourning
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Hmm...

I respect them more then I like them. I know Devin's talented and I sure as **** know that Gene kicks ass, but they never did alot for me, kinda cool at times, but nothing to go nuts over. Some of his solo stuff is GREAT, some of it isn't (eg Vampyra)
Responding to Devin's comments from the Imperiumi interview, Hoglan has issued the following statement:

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, I read the Finnish interview. True, Dev is burnt out, and of course he can change his mind quicker than bolt of lightning, but, just two days ago, he and I were talking about the next SYL record, what we're gonna do on it, and how absolutely mind-blowing it will be. We ARE taking some time off for Devin to have some much-needed family time, but, we ARE hitting the road again in March 2007, headlining tours of both America and Europe, as well as Australia and the Far East. And I am shooting the straight **** with you, as I always do. We are too good to just dissolve, and those are Dev's words. I will never apologize for one of my bandmates speaking his mind, and if that was what was on Devin's mind at that exact time and date, then that's what was on his mind. Give the man some space. Don't worry kiddies, STRAPPING YOUNG LAD is not disappearing anytime soon. We are a ****in' fungus. No cream or lotion is gonna do us in that easily. Unless, of course, it's Vagisil."

Yup, there is a Metal god. \m/
i dont care too much.. never got into SYL. i don't see the amazingness of that band
Last.fm
My Recordnerd
Myspace

Quote by Crazy
okay. have fun. 1,567,584,586th time I've heard that in the pit

Quote by c0ld_3mphasis05
Not even that many people exist on this planet.

LOL
I hope SYL don't go out any time soon.

Where the hell are all of the fans? I thought UG's metal forum loved SYL!
I love SYL but... Meh. Good for Devy. If he doesn't care any more how can you expect the guy to release good records, right?

As long as DTB continues, I'm happy.