its a bit late to ask now, but ill go ahead.

We're playing metallica in my school band. Im a rythm guitarist, and the vocalist is... well.. quite frankly, ****. Its not that hes a, well, bad singer, but he hasn't gone for singing lessons. He doesn't sing out his diaphram, he vibratos the whole thing, drags certain bits out so the vocals start to sound like its a reggae song... And when he's not doing that, he tries to impersonate James Hetfield. Now, he says he's not, and that he's being himself. Alls good and well. It would be good if he could, say, sing the song properly and like how it's supposed to be sung, but he's say, maybe, three octaves higher (ok, I exaggerate, one octave) than Hetfield. Today, he sang enter the sandman, and vibrato'd the hell out of it until it sounded, erm..... lets just say it hurt the song pretty bad Ok, butchered it.

He can't growl either, and I KNOW I can do a better job than he can. Even if its just the bits where the guy growls alot. The thing is, the last time I tried to sing (about a year ago), everyone who was around me died

So heres my problem, I want to sing as well, but nobody will take me seriously, and even if they did, I'm afraid I'll hurt the guy heaps, even if he is a bastard to me.

And my second problem: I'm kinda needed in the Rythm guitar section, and yet I want to sing.... I can't play and sing at the same time. I can if its something simple, like some cheesy greenday songs, but when it comes to stuff like master of puppets, no way

So, are we stuck with a decision, that says either:

A) good rythm guitarists, **** singer, or
B) Good singer, one less rythm guitarist making things harder to play.
Play guitar man, make him make a fool of himself. It won't affect people's opinions on your playing. You should learn to sing along to "harder" songs... it ain't hard, i suggest grabbing a metronome and slowing it down REALLY slow. It makes it easier to sing along cause your brain has more time to think about the 2 things your doing at the same time. Cliche'd advice i know but it's how this sh|t works... Eventually speed it up.

Singing tips that helped me sound better (worked for me):

Tense Stomach
Flatten Tongue on the bottom of your mouth to let the sound escape clearer
Stand Up Straight
Angle Your Head so it's sorta looking up slightly
The Deepest Breathes no matter how soft your singing.

I picked all them up from an audio engineering course i did.
mate just try to play and sing! I managed to pick up singing and playing master of puppets in a hour or so just constantly go over the songs! I say keep the **** singer for the time it takes for you to play and sing! Also Hetfield i bet, couldnt sing and play but he practiced! Now look at him! Hes a God :P
Quote by santhony1987

Angle Your Head so it's sorta looking up slightly.

I'd agree, if what he means is more like your jaw in perpendicular to the floor, but not acutally pointing up at all. Mentally, you want to picture looking up very slightly, but it really just makes your jaw perpendicular. Angling your head any higher strains the vocal chords too much, but less then perpendicular makes it so you can't let as much air out as you could.
Dem Dry Bones
Current read: I Am America (And You Can Too) (Stephen Colbert)
Album of the Week: Four Thieves Gone (The Avett Brothers)
Play the guitar part

Loads of bands have crappy singers.

And he'll make a fool of himself

=)
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
im going through thew same problem...crap singer, and i feel i can do a better job...i s'pose ill do this...either:

somehow kick singer out (she's the girlfriend of the lead guitarist)

OR

leave to let the band make fools of 'emselves...
...maybe your band ould do a diplomatic vote on if he stays or not...involve the band
make it an instrumental
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
im going through thew same problem...crap singer, and i feel i can do a better job...i s'pose ill do this...either:

somehow kick singer out (she's the girlfriend of the lead guitarist)

OR

leave to let the band make fools of 'emselves...
...maybe your band ould do a diplomatic vote on if he stays or not...involve the band

Its kinda hard for me though. Nobody thinks i can sing, because the last time i did (a year and a half ago), i was extremely terrible. Ive improved heaps, but they wont let me sing, and they wont hear me sing :p

The other thing, is that this is the only band I can really be in. Its the school band. Me, two drummers, 3 guitarists (including me), and our singer. The other group is the year 8 group, and all they play is pop rock which im not into. Everyone else in the school is like, in their first year.