Page 1 of 2
does anybody here not play with a pick? i tried to so many times, but it never works out for me, and i wind up just playing with my bare hand. i know Jeff Beck plays like this, but i dont really know of anyone else. do any of you guys?
:stickpoke It's Alive! AHHHHHHH!!!!
pac-man ate my stash

Founder of ZOSO Jimmy Page Fan Club __PM me to join

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
have you tried listening to mark knopfler, he plays guitar for dire straights and he plays in finger style
Fear my squirrelly wrath!

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music.
I switch between. There are many things that you can do only with your fingers. The best you can do is master both picking and fingerpicking. Mostly flamenco and some blues guitarist fingerpick.
Quote by mad-axe-man
have you tried listening to mark knopfler, he plays guitar for dire straights and he plays in finger style

Incidentally, he plays lead guitar. Contrary to popular beliefs, he has proven that you CAN solo without a plectrum.
As does Snowy White.

One of the best white blues players, and he fingerpicks all his stuff. Fantastic player too, everyone should look into his music.
Derek Trucks plays fingerstyle, and he's quite good.

I switch between, depending on what I want to play.
Quote by SomeEvilDude
As does Snowy White.

One of the best white blues players, and he fingerpicks all his stuff. Fantastic player too, everyone should look into his music.

So uh, howcome I've seen him pick on several dvd's?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
So uh, howcome I've seen him pick on several dvd's?

Really? Must be a new thing then.

Saw him play with Roger Waters on Saturday and he fingerpicked, and saw him in October last year and he fingerpicked. Weird.
Buddy Guy fingerpicks a lot

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
I dont get how you can sweep, solo, not get blisters, etc. without a pick.
Thats why I use one.

EDIT: But dont get me wrong, I use my fingers too sometimes. On fingerpicking arrangements I use them. And when I play Jazz Chords.
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
This what you get when you mess with us.
John Lee Hooker never once used a pick, infact most delta blues players didn't use picks.

I often play without a pick, but I usually use one because I find finger picking to be weird when using a slide.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
I say i play 70% without a pick, once you start you cant stop (you can still play heavy stuff, just listen to the black keys)

But a pick for more classic rock stuff, led zeppelin/beatles/black sabbath
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
I play without a pick most the time. Rhythm as well as lead. I don't know why, i just got used to it years ago and i've learned to play fairly complex things this way. I keep my right hand fingernails long and now i have more control with my fingers than with a pick. It's obviously suitable for arpeggios, but i found that sweeps, pinch harmonics and alternate "picking" can be done without a pick as well. I just make the best out of this odd habit and incorporate techniques that can't be done with a pick, such as rasgado (totally worth the bleeding cuticles).
Quote by skateguitar7654
I dont get how you can sweep, solo, not get blisters, etc. without a pick.
Thats why I use one.

EDIT: But dont get me wrong, I use my fingers too sometimes. On fingerpicking arrangements I use them. And when I play Jazz Chords.

Well, the things you mentioned can certainly be done without a pick. The sweeping will not be as fast, but it all just takes time and practice, really.
I play with either one. I prefer to finger pick jazz though.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
i played without for the first 8 months i played guitar. now i usualy play with a pick because i find i can play way faster with a good ol' fender extra heavy
Quote by ufossuck
I often play without a pick, but I usually use one because I find finger picking to be weird when using a slide.

The greatest slide players never use a pick... with a pick, you lose control over what notes you DON'T want to play... finger picking is really the ONLY way to go when using a slide.

Well, that's if you're a big slide guy.... like me... it's all preference, really. But slide is easier without a pick.
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by redwing_suck
The greatest slide players never use a pick... with a pick, you lose control over what notes you DON'T want to play... finger picking is really the ONLY way to go when using a slide.

Well, that's if you're a big slide guy.... like me... it's all preference, really. But slide is easier without a pick.

George Thorogood used picks. I'll be able to do it one of these days, I just need to practice it.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
The trick to playing effectively with fingers and thumb and outplaying a proffesional with a pick, is to NOT lay your hand flat and flap with your two fingers (that works fine for basic melodies), what you should do is hold your hand over your strings and try to get your knuckles as parallel as possible to the strings. It's maybe painful if you try to go all the way, just get them as far as you fell comfortable. You can reach great speeds like that, maybe not as fast as Michaelangelo shredding but it should suffice. Another thing you should remember is to try to utilize all of your fingers, except for the pinky, it's not necessary.
But ultimately, the best favour you can do yourself is learn to play both ways (fingers and plectrum). Too many ignorant people are too proud of their chosen technique to learn the other one and soon they run into something that they can't play.
I have to agree with redwing_suck regarding slides. I started fingerpicking when using a slide when I saw that Derek Trucks did that, and now I find that it makes it easier for me to control what notes are played.

A good player could still get by just using a pick, but I think they'd be putting themselves at a disadvantage: it's not like you're going to be reaching max speed while playing with a slide anyway.
up until now i always played without a pick. i was getting fast but i decided to use a pick now so i can go faster and cleaner while going fast. ill switch between to two now. i usually dont use a pic for acustic stuff.
I fingerpick about 65 % of the time when playing regularly. I always fingerpick when playing slide.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
i play mostly fast blues, and the pick always gets in the way. it flies out of my hand, it hits the strings wierd, it hits the wrong strings, and i cant play from my heart, cuz im worried about the pick.

you could throw tennis balls at me while im playing with my fingers. but if im using a pick, somebodys voice even screws me up. its just one thing that i cant play with!

i play all different kinds of things, even slide without a pick. it doesnt really hurt your hands. think about your fretting hand; you played till it bled, then you let it callouse (sp?) over, then you went out and shredded with it again. the same thing happens to your thmb and fingers. its actaull easier to play like this, and you save $3 on picks! lol
pac-man ate my stash

well now that ive said i switched to picks, ive actually given up on it. i got really frustrated with it and decided to play for a bit without it. i sounded so much better and i figured out a way to be fast. it was mostly after watching a vid of joe pass. he was playing some fast licks and i noticed he didnt have a pick. so i know it can be done. im never looking back and im sticking to my fingers.

ill stick to my old motto now "picks are for wussies". lol

*edit*....*sigh*....nvm....im back to picks. lol. i think im there for good now. i still like to use my hands though for jazz and blues on acustic but for my electric ill use the pick. ive gotten used to it now so its all good.
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Jul 25, 2006,
I almost religiously avoid picks. I think too much about my pick when i use one, and i feel like i have much more control using my fingers.

And it doesnt hurt that I started on bass, so it comes more naturally to me anyway. When I play single notes i pick it kinda like a bass but tighter, but when i play chords or play really fast i just use my fingernail as a pick, and it works fine.
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.
So I'm the black sheep of the thread.

I always play with a pick; Jim Dunlop 1mm. I can play without a pick, and I usually do for slide work, but as for normal playing I can't stand the tone I get playing with my bare fingers. The pick just adds something extra to the sound which I don't get using my fingers.
I use a pick, however i use alot of hybrid picking aswell.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
its just way easier to ditch the pick and play with your fingers like the first guitarists
pac-man ate my stash

Quote by Pride _And_Joy
its just way easier to ditch the pick and play with your fingers like the first guitarists

Actually neither way is any easier or harder than the other. Anyone who says otherwise is just too lazy to put in the amount of work required to play competently both ways.
As I said, I can play fingerpicking, I just prefer the sound and tone I get using a pick.
Quote by SomeEvilDude
Actually neither way is any easier or harder than the other. Anyone who says otherwise is just too lazy to put in the amount of work required to play competently both ways.
As I said, I can play fingerpicking, I just prefer the sound and tone I get using a pick.

Agreed, and same.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
you shouldn't do one or the other, b/c you need variety to keep your playing interesting.
some people say that slide guitar can only be played properly fingerstyle, I disagree, also many musical styles are far easier to play fingerstyle and therefore I switch between fingers and plectrum. Clapton plays both fingerstyle and with a pick along with several other greats
I'm about 50/50. I love those old Piedmont players like Blind Boy Fuller and Blind Blake, so I fingerpick that kinda stuff. I also fingerpick lots of jazz. That's more chord oriented music though. For leads I always use a pick.
#DTWD
i find it extremely hard to use a pick but i still try
member of the Seinfeld Fan Club --pm the_experience to join

Quote by Pride _And_Joy

explain please
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
i learned myself to play guitar, i'm playing without a pick, i play the same as Mark knopfler, i'm not a fan of him but it's really funny. When i play with a pick, i hit many the wrong string. and with a pick you can't hit for example the A and the B string at the same time, but i think the best way to play guitar is with a pick. But i don't use one...
Guitar: Richwood RE-62 (candy red)
Quote by PET
i learned myself to play guitar, i'm playing without a pick, i play the same as Mark knopfler, i'm not a fan of him but it's really funny. When i play with a pick, i hit many the wrong string. and with a pick you can't hit for example the A and the B string at the same time, but i think the best way to play guitar is with a pick. But i don't use one...

You can play the A and the B strings at the same time with a pick, you just have to be competant at muting the D and G strings with your fretting hand.
I only use a pick for heavier stuff ala Hendrix. For slide and robert johnson type stuff i always play fingerstyle.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Page 1 of 2