Page 1 of 2
i've just started playing bass and i am in a pop-punk band.

would it make more sense playing with a pick or fingers. I'm more comfortable with fingers, but get a better sound with a pick. PLEASE HELP
L E T S G O F U C K I N C R A Z Y ! ! ! !

JUST USE BOTH, ITS NOT BLEEDING HARD!

sorry, but if you can use both, then use them!
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
use w/e u want personally i use fingers cause i can play faster with fingers than a pick
Quote by IndieMetalhead
JUST USE BOTH, ITS NOT BLEEDING HARD!

Indeed. If you can't use both you're not much of a bassist! You'll find some songs are suited to one, and some to the other.
I wouldnt say you're not much of a bassist if you can't use both, but you're certainly a better one if you can..
Try and do both it helps you when you run out of stamina with your fingers you have backup.
Fist choice always fingers nice and easy moving strings

Pop punk band it goes against the rulebook to use your fingers so break the rules
my band doesnt have a style attached to them, i play with both.
theres songs when i need some other sound, i can get weird sounds with a pick too.
its okay using a pick.
...And The Nominees Are
Yep, use both. On my strap i have little fold near the front strap thingy on my bass where i keep a pick for gigs and stuff, just incase. Even if im using a pick anyway, i have one there 4 back-up.

I tend to use a pick when im moving strings up and down the fret-board continuosly, just so i can keep the timing and stamina going. Other than that i use my fingers, gives nice fat bass tone and i can get the slap bass going aswel.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Quote by Applehead
I wouldnt say you're not much of a bassist if you can't use both, but you're certainly a better one if you can..

We could copy and paste that sentence over into so many other threads around here.

Do whatever you feel the most comfortable with, and whatever benefits the band more. If you are playing out of time and really sloppy with a pick, use that. If your fingerstyle tone doesn't fit in with the rest of the band and you can't change it with EQ, then play with a pick.

Good luck with the band mate

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
They are both different styles. Do whatever sounds and feels best for you.

Usually in jazz and soft stuff fingers are used for the bassier smoother sound while in Punk rock and Metal picks are used for a punchier sound.

DONT LISTEN TO ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU EITHER ONE SUCKS

they are narrow minded douches
I personally use fingerstyle, you can do more things with fingers than a pick, and doing a sort of alternate picking/flamenco strumming thing.it's also good if you can't find a pick or can't be arsed to get one. I've been messing with fingerstyle(and slap) on guitar, too.

although I use a pick if I'm biying my fingernails and it hurts to do fingerstyle or I just got out of the shower.
I can play faster with a pick, because i started with guitar, but playing with fingers feels a lot better and gets a better sound for me.
Just use whatevers comfortable.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
I personally think fingerstyle is the better of the two just because i enjoy the sound more than with a pick but it really all depends on the music your doing
Use the fingers if you know anything about bass, its too easy using a pick and its much different sound.
If you're in a pop punk band, play with a pick. Every pop punk band I've ever seen play bass with a pick. They're all horrible bassists, but in pop punk, they play with picks.
how many threads of this nature do we need, really? make an "ONLY picks vs fingers thread", mods. GOD!

in all seriousness I like using my fingers. I just like the sound better, is all
Quote by Benjibum
I know you not, but speak to my very heart you do.

I have that effect on people
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
GO SENS GO!
Quote by cygnus2112
how many threads of this nature do we need, really? make an "ONLY picks vs fingers thread", mods. GOD!

in all seriousness I like using my fingers. I just like the sound better, is all

Maybe instead of reading just the thread title, you could read what he was asking. This thread is different, and much more specific.

I started out trying a "pick" (it was actually a quarter seeing as I didn't own a real one and i was 13). But, then my brother kept constantly shouting at me that you don't use a pick with a bass...even though i showed him pictures with bassists using one. After a while, i began to doubt even my own thoughts on the pick usage and really started using the fingers a lot more.

I have gotten more prasie from bass people around here for playing with my fingers, and my teacher was impressed that I could play Hallowed be thy Name note-for-note without a pick.

Personally, I have started calling a lot of pick players "Cheaters" but I really could care less, just as long as your music kicks ass.

Anyway, now that im done with the story of my career as a bassist, Id say choose whichever, although the pick is more fluent in the pop-punk genre of which you grace.
Quote by chillie pepper
i've just started playing bass and i am in a pop-punk band.

would it make more sense playing with a pick or fingers. I'm more comfortable with fingers, but get a better sound with a pick. PLEASE HELP

If it feels better playing with your fingers thans thats what you should use, but it wouldent hurt to atleast learn to use a pick.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
Whatever sounds good.
It doesn't really matter what you use as long as it sounds good.
some music sounds better with one rather than the other, and some equipment sounds better with one rather than the other. I don't think using one, the other or both has any effect on how good of a musician you are. The ONLY thing that effects how good of a musician you are is your ability to express YOURSELF.
U r right goest, pick bass players are "noobs" in bass because bass isn't meant for playing with a pick.
Upright bass is the first bass not the electric or acustic (for all you noobs) and i can't see any1 playing upright bass with a pick
Play how you're more comfortable. I play Rock and Roll and I use my fingers. Do what you want. Don't do something because that is how it's "supposed" to be done.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
Or, irritate the ignoramuses and use both a pick and yoru fingers in the same song like me or Muse's Chris does in 'Knights of Cydonia' If you want to know what I'm on about, check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5tdPo0Ba9I&search=knights%20of%20cydonia
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Yes but you can't play like that for ever, only kids play with a pick.
If you always whant to play like a 8-year old you can, but after of 5 years of playing bass when somebody askes you do you play a pick, you will be sorry they will laught their hearts out.
Hey u do whant u whant to do.
Quote by Luka38
If you always whant to play like a 8-year old you can, but after of 5 years of playing bass when somebody askes you do you play a pick, you will be sorry they will laught their hearts out.

Ahem, I play with a pick and my fingers. Often in the same song. And I'm not eight year old - understand this, you can still be awesoem and play with a pick. Look at the video fool...
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

Quote by Luka38

Plenty of good bassists use picks, and to laugh at them for that reason alone is down right stupid.

Yeah, upright bass players don't use a pick, but that doesn't mean anything. People used to **** in outhouses, are you saying that indoor plumbing is for noobs too?
Quote by Luka38
Woah and how long have you been playing

Not as long as some (John Swift for example) but I've been playing for almost two years - enough to develop not only a style of my own but an actual technique to swap between picking and fingerstyle in a song which is remarkably fun. Actually, I only just started using a plectrum as some songs are more fun to play with one, for example Knights of Cydonia.

Why?
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

^^damn right!!!

Kidding.

I think alot of the pick players do kick ass, case in point would be Shavo Odadjian and, briefly but it has happened, Flea (uses it during the post chrous on snow). Its just i've figured it better to play with your fingers, as you can get more intricate with that and it shows that you do have talent. Using a pick, to me, shows that you can play the bass fast, but speed isn't everything. Its the bassists that use fingers, both fingers and pick or the ones that can get that intricancy out of pick that you normally get with your fingers that gets my attention.
Really oh and name one or more
And to felkar: Woah and how long have u been playing
Quote by Luka38
Really oh and name one or more
And to felkar: Woah and how long have u been playing

Flea uses a pick on Parrellel Universe, Fortune Faded and there's another one which I've forgotten.

I told you, I've been playing bass for almost two years but with a plectrum for only a few months.

In case of ambiguity, Chris from Muse (because I cannot spell his surname for the life of me) plays several Muse songs with a plectrum. I've already mentioned Knights of Cydonia but he also plays Stockholm Syndrome witha pick aswell.

To be honest, it doesn't matter anymore whether you use a plectrum or not. You'd think that all Pop/Punk bassists use a pick however that's not correct. For example Yellowcard's bassist uses his fingers. Also, it doesn't make you look childish at all otherwise you'd only have Emo and Pop/Punk bassists doing it (because, and no offense meant to Emo and Pop/Punk bassists, I'm just appealing to the masses who hate the genres, they don't care what teh haters say) however, many mature and well-liked bassists use/used picks. Paul McCartney is one of them.

It pays to be able to use both yoru fingers and plectrums. I'd never play bass powerchords in a song without a pick however, I'd never play any RHCP (apart from the songs I just mentioned) with a pick. It just wouldn't happen. However, my band does a cover of Goldfinger's version of 99 Red Balloons. I use both a pick and my fingers in that song as the bassline dictates. To be honest, it depends on teh individual but to call pick playing childish is just a waste of everyone's time.
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

dude...i can play both parallel universe and fortune faded with my fingers.....but im not gonna even begin to try and say im better than him.....i dont have big enough balls to even come remotely close to saying that

Like i said before, it really doesn't bother me if you use a pick, i just want some kick ass music to come out of it.
Quote by goest
dude...i can play both parallel universe and fortune faded with my fingers.....but im not gonna even begin to try and say im better than him.....i dont have big enough balls to even come remotely close to saying that

Like i said before, it really doesn't bother me if you use a pick, i just want some kick ass music to come out of it.

That's the spirit boyo ^_^
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

Quote by Luka38
U r right goest, pick bass players are "noobs" in bass because bass isn't meant for playing with a pick.
Upright bass is the first bass not the electric or acustic (for all you noobs) and i can't see any1 playing upright bass with a pick

Actually the first instrument that was called a bass is what we know now as a Tuba. Maybe we should play with our lips.....
You mock people who play with a pick because it wasn't how upright bass was played. You do realize that Upright Bass is a Desendent of Double bass which is an instrument in orchestras. It is played with a bow, so occourding to what you said we should do it how it was originally done, correct? Pick players may not use a bow but they do have something in there hands that they use to vibrate the strings. Isn't that arguably just as close or closer to the way it was originally played than fingers? and as far as your remark about pick player being noobs, one of the best bass players I have ever met always uses a pick!
Quote by goest
Personally, I have started calling a lot of pick players "Cheaters"

I don't mean to instegate another arguement, but all I have to say is I dissagree with this statement 100%.

Me too - how is it cheating exactly?
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

its just something i yell at the tv or at pictures when i see a pick playing bassist. Its really juevinelle and just something i do for no apparent reason whatsoever.

In short: I don't care if you use a pick or not
Page 1 of 2