Alright, as a few of you may know, I'm not a big fan of most metal. I like Metallica, Anthrax, Iron Maiden and that kind of stuff, but most of it I hate. But I love some of the riff, like ones that seem to clash with each other on purpose. I've found that shifting from an E5 to an F5 or an E5 to an A#b will give me that sound, but, obviously, that riff gets old. So what other changes will give me that sound? I've bought a dozen books on chords and, as much as they've helped me out with song writing, I still haven't found what I'm looking for. Can someone help me? Thanks!

-Daniel White

EDIT: And I'm in a hip-hop band, but we like to combine metal riffs with hip-hop/funk stylings, a la Rage Against the Machine or Cypress Hill, if you get what I mean.
Last edited by MastaBassist10 at Jul 5, 2006,
look up minor scales and use the notes in them as the roots for your chord progression. That will give you the dark sounding progression from metal songs
This is what i do. I do like using E5 but do not overuse it. Perfect for transfers but if you want to play chord progressions better i say drop it out a whole step of a half-step down. This gives you a deeper pitch but you can still play the same chords from b4 with good sound.

For the composing metal on guitar the main thing you wanna keep in mind about metallica is its alot of downpicking, alot of barring the strings down. Not as much so as really notes and all. Still very good music though, not hard to learn. The way you should take it is listen to a metal song you like for example lets say "master of puppets" by metallica. You can listen to those riffs, try to play along and all but dont do exactly. From there do the sound over and over, try to find variations. Gradually push away from that song and u have your own if you are a beginner on metal. DONT EVERY COPY MUSIC! That just leads to alot of problems with the band u are taking it from and ur listeners. I compose my own stuff.

If you want simpler riffs, not as much variation but a little bit easier on the fingers use Drop D. The tuning for that is DADGBE. What this does is put all of your notes in one fit. So in most case when play chords you just use one finger across all of the strings. You can play the strings below but watch the top string.

Another way you can do it as "therewasatime" said. That is a good way i agree with him fully. He has a very good idea there.

But main thing to remember is relate it to what you listen to and what you wanna hear. Just take it riff by riff, dont fly into it and just make a whole song in one day. Let it ease on over time. It will come to you.
Ok from what Im taking from the last post was, tune your axe down and play the same progression......You're an Idiot, friend!
When it comes to progressions try using diminished chords, say go from an E5 to Fdim and arpeggiate them to form some sort of riff.
Augmented chords are also pretty handy when playing metal but one has to ask.....Why the hell are you playing metal if oyu do not like it?
You can do it either way man. Tune the d*** thing down and play the same progressions. different note and name and all that. But it still gives you a good sound. You can play metal in Half-step down, Standard, D, whatever man. It may be a different progession cuz ur strings are a different note then. But it still can give you sound man. Chill out.
Quote by MastaBassist10
A#b
I think you mean A#/Bb.

Quote by subzero3009
This gives you a deeper pitch but you can still play the same chords from b4 with good sound.
The b4 is a major third. You meant #4/b5.

1. Use the open E string as a pedal tone. A great example of this is Megadeth's "Holy Wars."

2. Use thirds and fourths rather than and in addition to power chords. Megadeth does a lot of this in that song.

3. Use the Phrygian Dominant (1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7) scale. It is technically a major scale, but it is very dark sounding.

4. Well placed pinch harmonics can sound nasty.

5. Write guitar harmonies.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Jul 6, 2006,
white guitar harmonies? do you mean 'write' guitar harmonies, i myself am just trying to understand is all
Quote by z4twenny
white guitar harmonies? do you mean 'write' guitar harmonies, i myself am just trying to understand is all
Don't make sarcastic comments to the person who is trying to help you!

Wow..."r" and "h" aren't even near each other.
^ I'm pretty sure he means write lol. (edit: ah, he beat me. I have to admit though, "white guitar harmonies" makes me think of Lord of the Rings or something, like harmonies that Gandalf would write. Wow I feel like a geek, I need to go watch sports or something )

You might consider serialism. You take the twelve chromatic notes, and arrange them in an order you want. No note can be repeated until you have played every other note. It has an atonal sound and can be pretty cool if applied in a metal song. My newest Guitar Techniques magazine actually has a lesson on this, so if you're interested just post back and I can put up an example or two.
i wasn't trying to be sarcastic, i've never heard the term white guitar harmonies is all..... but apparently i was right to question it as you have edited your post.
Use the minor second, the tritone, the minor sixth, and the major seventh. Those are my favourites.
power chords are overused, try some single-note lines and melodies...if you listen to metallica, you'd see that many of their riffs aren't just straight power chords and such...listen to some death metal (or at least take a peek at some tabs), because this particular style of music is none for it's technicality, which can give a much more unique sound to riffs and such
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
If you want melodic inspiration look at bullet for my valentine. They use a combo of chords, slow melodys and hard metal riffs and change between them fluently giving more texture to the songs and making them more interesting.

Playing metal riffs can involve using dropped tuning (Dropped D/C/B) And this gives a more darkened feel to the song if you use the dropped D/C/B String and play it open in some sort of rythem of your choosing. Adding in higher notes around the fret board can give you a melodic tune with the bass-y-er lowwer note.
Quote by demonichild
If you want melodic inspiration look at bullet for my valentine. They use a combo of chords, slow melodys and hard metal riffs and change between them fluently giving more texture to the songs and making them more interesting.

Playing metal riffs can involve using dropped tuning (Dropped D/C/B) And this gives a more darkened feel to the song if you use the dropped D/C/B String and play it open in some sort of rythem of your choosing. Adding in higher notes around the fret board can give you a melodic tune with the bass-y-er lowwer note.

Please look at the date of the thread before posting.

*reported*
Quote by MastaBassist10
Alright, as a few of you may know, I'm not a big fan of most metal. I like Metallica, Anthrax, Iron Maiden and that kind of stuff, but most of it I hate. But I love some of the riff, like ones that seem to clash with each other on purpose. I've found that shifting from an E5 to an F5 or an E5 to an A#b will give me that sound, but, obviously, that riff gets old. So what other changes will give me that sound? I've bought a dozen books on chords and, as much as they've helped me out with song writing, I still haven't found what I'm looking for. Can someone help me? Thanks!

-Daniel White

EDIT: And I'm in a hip-hop band, but we like to combine metal riffs with hip-hop/funk stylings, a la Rage Against the Machine or Cypress Hill, if you get what I mean.

Even though you "don't like metal", you would likely get the best results by being more open minded, and actually spending some time listening to, and learning metal. Then you bring something genuine into it rather than following a formula.

Quote by :-D

Please look at the date of the thread before posting.

*reported*

LOL good point
shred is gaudy music
Slow down...!! If you don't like metal, why are you writing a metal song..?
"Play what you love and love what you play (and something else...I can't remember)

EDIT: 06?!?!?!
Quote by bangoodcharlote
The b4 is a major third. You meant #4/b5.

hey, bangoodcharlote was wrong. he meant as in before=b4.

edit: oh wow oops 06 but still, feels good to point it out

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Last edited by chipmunksurfer at Aug 3, 2008,
Oshi* guys sorry. :S i googled writing riffs and this came up so i answered it... should haave looked at the date. sorry againn