so i need a new amp. thats for sure. ive been playing for a year and im using a squier champ 15. the biggest piecr of $h!t ever. im playing in a heavy metal band, our drummer is a beast ( hes gone through like 3 tom skins this year and a bass drumb skin) and im using 15 watts of pure crap. im just wondering what type of amp i should get. of course i want a mesa dual rectumfrier but i would feel guilty getting soomething like that after only a year of playing. i play lead guitar and i can do a bit of shreding, not much. im ok at sweeps although i tend not to do them. money is not an issue. im getting $3000 to do whaever i want with it so... im using an ec-1000` if it matters. i would like a 1/2 stalk although everyone tells me "just get a good $500 combo for now. ive told my parents about 300 times IM NOT GETTING ANYTHING FROM THE MARSHALL MG SERIES. oh well. iwas looking at the 6505+, it looks like it would fit my needs, i want it to be all tube and about 100 watts. i like volume, loud noises are good.......
Last edited by aidandude at Jul 5, 2006,
oh, i know alot about amps and gear and all, i was just asking for your opinions. i really want to know if i should get a 1/2 stack or a decent combo. thing is none of the combos appeal to me
i like how you wrote rectumfrier. funny lol. now well a half stack is what i would get if i had the money but they can tend to be a beeotch to lug around to band practise and whatnot. they're also really loud. if your only gonna jam in a garage or something then you dont need one and you should get a 100W combo or something which still holds the power to play gigs. plus you can always mic them if their not loud enough. a 100W solid state is quite loud. a 100W tube is deathly loud lol. i rented a 40W tube and it was physco and didnt need to be mic'd. seeing as you have the money to spend, you should get something that will satisfy your need for power and dont worry about ''feeling cheap'', if your really commited to playing guitar than go all out and get something 'fun'
Quote by thesublime
genious, silverstringz

Quote by Invader Jim
I admire you, SiLvEr_StRiNgZ. I have a short, VERY short fuse and would have instantly killed nearly everyone in the room, but you, on the other hand, did good. Have a cookie and a gold star.
i like loud volume. and i figure if i ever need to get something out of my parents i can just turn the volume to 11 (i plan on moding it to go to 11) and threaten them with a pinch harmonic or dime squeal
The Mg series amps arn't that bad, there are just some out there that are defective, i have a 100dfx, and it works fine. I mean, i got lucky i guess, the safe thing to do if you are short on cash, and need an amp, and are looking for an mg, is buy one thats used, and that works fine.
yeah man, 100W all tube would kill a small nation. 40W would be enough for playing in a band and stuff
Quote by Frosticle
The Mg series amps arn't that bad, there are just some out there that are defective, i have a 100dfx, and it works fine. I mean, i got lucky i guess, the safe thing to do if you are short on cash, and need an amp, and are looking for an mg, is buy one thats used, and that works fine.

if he has $3000, he should NOT buy a solid state amp. Threadstarter, louder doesnt equal better. As mentioned earlier, i would invest in a new guitar and amp with some effects maybe.

some amp choices could be a fender twin or something along that line. a marshall dsl or tsl. i have no idea what mesa's retail anymore so i can't help ya there. maybe a carvin V3, though no built in reverb

i won't recommend any guitars till you tell us more about your style of playing.
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by Frosticle

You shouldn't have to play lucky dip with amps, if i buy an amp straight from the factory i expect it to be worth the money i pay for it, not likely to explode. This is mainly because there are no variables with amps coming off a production line, unlike with guitars where each guitar will sound individual because of the wood quality, etc.

That and the MG's are actually crap. Way overpriced IMO.

Threadstarter this is the wrong forum, but i would look into half stacks from the likes of Engl, Mesa/Boogie, Framus, etc. If you're looking at Marshalls IMO the only ones worth bothering with in your case for metal are the JCM800 (i don't like the other JCM models) and the DSL 50. The JCM800 will need to be overdriven with a pedal more than likely.

That's all i can be bothered to say. End.
i have enough for a duall rectifier and a cab and a bit more or a 6505+ and cab and 1500+ extra. im happy with the guitar i have now. ill probably save up for a good good axe. like a custom shop( ill be in unversity by the time i will be able to afford one). i know louder isnt better, im still looking around. im not getting a marshall. the mgs are fine, theyre just not for me. my bands rythem guitarist has one its ok but its not the sound im looking for. ive always though of fenders as clean jazzy blues amps. not verrygood for metal.

edit: normaly i only get like $100 a month but my grandma died and left me some cash so this will be my only purchase for a while. and ive realized that this is thewrong forrum
Last edited by aidandude at Jul 5, 2006,
Quote by aidandude
i have enough for a duall rectifier and a cab and a bit more or a 6505+ and cab and 1500+ extra. im happy with the guitar i have now. ill probably save up for a good good axe. like a custom shop( ill be in unversity by the time i will be able to afford one). i know louder isnt better, im still looking around. im not getting a marshall. the mgs are fine, theyre just not for me. my bands rythem guitarist has one its ok but its not the sound im looking for. ive always though of fenders as clean jazzy blues amps. not verrygood for metal.

thats what fenders are normally used for, but really fender amps have THE BEST cleans out there. all you would need is an OD pedal or two and BAM! metal. (or at least hard rock) best of both worlds
Quote by yorkshireterror
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
If you're buying an amp then buy it for what it is, NOT for what it could be with an overdrive pedal. Thus, don't bother with Fenders.
yes. im not too focoused on cleans, basically the only time my amp is clean is when im doing the opening intro for battery. besides that its all distorted. this is why i liked the 6505. amazing distortion, $hit cleans and a low price, sweet...
Quote by codybcool
If you're buying an amp then buy it for what it is, NOT for what it could be with an overdrive pedal. Thus, don't bother with Fenders.

pure preference my friend, just my opinion

and can you please MAKE THAT FAT S.O.B WITH THE SANTA HAT STOP EATING GOD I WANT TO KILL HIM
Quote by yorkshireterror

i <3 breakdowns
peavey 6505+ baby all the way.

could he get an ENGL head with that money?
then he could get some more money out of his parents, sine they already gave him 3000, so he could prob get like 600 for a cab you think?
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
Quote by aidandude
i like loud volume. and i figure if i ever need to get something out of my parents i can just turn the volume to 11 (i plan on moding it to go to 11) and threaten them with a pinch harmonic or dime squeal

Um, modding it to go to eleven? You sir are a tool.

My deville goes to 12 so there.

BTW way to have parents who are brain surgeons. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
my parents arent rich, my grandma is just dead. and the whole 11 thing was a joke. watch spinal tap
Lol, I've seen spinal tap many times, I just thought you loved it so much you were going to spend a bunch of money taking your amp apart. . .

Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
"my parents arent rich, my grandma is just dead"

Call me morbid but that's hilarious