Page 1 of 12
Last summer there was a very successful solo contest(copyright megakyle aka megadave 49 ) and I'm going to try to revive it.

The Rules

There will be one backing track in each of four genres: Shred, Metal, Blues, and Rock. Whoever is interested in competing in a particular genre, just say so and your name will be posted below. All you have to do is record yourself soloing over the backing track and post it in this thread when you have completed. For whoever the first two people are in a genre I'll create a challenge thread where people can vote and critique. Whoever recieves the most votes in a 2 day period becomes Top Dog. Oncethe top dog for each genre is decided, ANYONE, even if you've already been eliminated by someone can challenge them, and I'll create a new challenge thread. If that person wins they become the new top dog, and so on. IF YOU HAVE GOOD BT's
POST THEM.

Blues Get new BT here
gtgram14 Temporarily Eliminated
AlpineHigh Top Dog
Meh! Temporarily Eliminated
wmzbomgzors *
TUMFP
sheratonplyr369 Temporarily Elimated
thumbknuckle
shorter rocker
ThePartyboy*
AdNY
wynter Temporarily Eliminated
Nickoman

Shred
In search of a new track
adam02 Top Dog
gtgram14*
paddyo Temporarily Eliminated
metalmaster362
morgan
preludetowar Temporarily Eliminated
ClassicAxe Temporarily Eliminated
Nickoman*
rockstar mace
Last Serenade

Metal Get bt here
Teh_Hax
NovemberRain273
ShizNick
morgan
Coolvortex
Shredzorz

Rock
Get BT #3 here
gtgram14 Temporarily Eliminated
FlyingBeerMan Temporarily Eliminated
jesus saves
The2abraxis
Timefore
Kidzelda
Nickoman
Coolvortex Temporarily Eliminated
Rich2k4 Top Dog
DiGiTaLiS

also, this doesnt necessarily have to be improv, just try to make the best possible solo you can

*Indicates challenge winners who've yet to face current top dog
Last edited by gtgram14 at Aug 3, 2006,
sticky it:p id like to follow this although i dont have any recording stuff atm :P
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
hahah gram you stealing my idea!!!!!!! you bastard, put copyright megakyle, hahahha lol this is me, i just have a new account, i'm in for metal

this time i say when theres a new challenge we need a new bt, cause when i was running it last time, the same bt got overused imo. plus that was the first metal bt last time i'm gonna find a new one, if thats ok, for the sake of the competition i'll even make one.

if you have an idea for a shred backing, send me the tab, and i'll record it
Last edited by megadave_49 at Jul 5, 2006,
lol its YOU! I searched the forums for you but couldn't find your posts anywhere, I guess that explains it. Yea dude feel free to make/find better bt's. Ill try and come up with somethin for shred. The new backing thing is a good idea.

if you want to run it by all means its yours
Last edited by gtgram14 at Jul 5, 2006,
yeah i'll make the metal one as soon as i can, my guitar is messed up (damn floyd rose) if you can ask if it can be stickied again, i'll run it
Quote by AlpineHigh
will/should there be a seperate section for improv?

I'm pretty sure this whole thing is improv.
no, you write solos, you can improv if you want, but thats your choice, its best solo by choice, no seperate catergories for improv
I pmed lazy hopefully he'll get it up there soon. Alpine are you signing up for somethin? Also all my ideas for a shred bt end up sounding like bad ripoffs of the intro to cemetary gates, does someone have any ideas or a tab that'll make a good track?

Edit: My blues track is done...its, uh...a bit over the top at times but it'll do. I'm going to post it in its own thread just for fun. Gin, once yours is done I'll make a challenge thread. Or have kyle/megadave do it...
Last edited by gtgram14 at Jul 5, 2006,
sign me up for metal
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
damnet I would really like to do this but I'll be gone for a week in Illinois.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Do black people attract more dust too?
If things go well this will be around for quite a while, It should get stickied pretty soon
Yea I PMed Lazy, I dont think hes been around cause he would have closed that improv contest in the covers thread
Sign me up for metal and rock
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Have your track done whenever you can, If you finish before GinRummy does you challenge me. I posted my track yesterday its here somewhere in Original Recordings.
ok.. its done. nothing spectacular (100% improv) the backing track was a little short so i just got right to the point but w/e..

that sweep arpeggio you did was sick dude BTW

its under UG Top Dog II (blues) in the link in my sig..just start the thread whenever

edited because i sounded like a whiner
Last edited by AlpineHigh at Jul 6, 2006,
I hate you alpine and your juicy tone, kicass production with the dueling guitars and the reverse stuff, Ill post the thread.
go for it dude, we voted on ourselves last year If lazy isn't dead this thread should get stickied quite soon(and I think megadave will do the poll posting from then on). The polls time out after 48hrs, but if only like 5 people vote ill adjust it a little.
yea hes the mod, you're tooling on me by the way...you better lose in the future so I can make a comeback the whole shred/blues thang aint holding up too well. Lazy hasnt logged in a long time so idk whats up. I'm gonna go ahead and put myself down for rock, but I think kyle/megadave was gonna find a new bt.
Quote by gtgram14
yea hes the mod, you're tooling on me by the way...you better lose in the future so I can make a comeback the whole shred/blues thang aint holding up too well. Lazy hasnt logged in a long time so idk whats up. I'm gonna go ahead and put myself down for rock, but I think kyle/megadave was gonna find a new bt.

dude, you'll f*cking own in rock
I would do this, but I'm not very good. So let's do it by age group divisions! I'm 16...
I'll do one for blues?

Might be fun.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
I would enter, but seeing as how I have no recording device and my comp isn't in my room, I'll just make a bitchy post about it
To ShizNick- age isnt as important as yrs playing....anyways like 80% of the people on this site are from ages 15-19...I'm 17, been playing for almost 3 years, anyways shiz Ive heard your stuff...you are not "not very good" by any means. Give it a shot.
yes. I assume so.

Do we both have to use the same backing track.
does the backing track have to be the one up there

How long do I have to get it in?

Cause it's half 12 in the morning, so bit late to record it.

But I can do it some time tommorw...hopefully
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Last edited by meh! at Jul 6, 2006,
blues... but all of my electric guitars are in the shop right now so i should have them back and have a track recorded by monday at the worst.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
Quote by gtgram14
To ShizNick- age isnt as important as yrs playing....anyways like 80% of the people on this site are from ages 15-19...I'm 17, been playing for almost 3 years, anyways shiz Ive heard your stuff...you are not "not very good" by any means. Give it a shot.

yea im 15 and im better than lot of people on this site, so is strat wizard and hes really good aswell

shawn lane could play faster than most guitarist when he was 16
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
Quote by Gin_Rummy
I guess I should challenge Meh! when we're both ready, correct?

Whoever gets it up first takes on Alpine, (barring some kind of miracle), then whoever wins that takes on the next person ready..that is, unless you guys want to do a duel to see who gets to take alpine on, that would be pretty cool. Let me know what you think is best.

to metalmaster:

Yea age doesnt really matter, its time and quality of practice, with some talent of course. Stratwizard is quite nasty but he's also been playing for longer than most of the people here (recording forums). I have yet to hear your stuff but your lofty claim makes me eager to, there are some damn good players on this site.

EDIT: Shawn Lane is not human, he doesnt count
Last edited by gtgram14 at Jul 6, 2006,
Quote by gtgram14

So I just play to a backing track?

alright well I guess i'll try metal? haha
Last edited by ShizNick at Jul 6, 2006,
I think megadave is making a better metal track so hold up on your recordin
any1 want me to make shred track