Read title.
Here's the prog

D -> Aadd9 -> E7sus4 ->Cadd9 -> G6
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
I'm wanting to say some form of D minor, as it can't be D major (you have C natural), but you don't have the D minor chord.
Ok those are all major chords (except for E, we don't know cuz it's sus4).

uhmm well i guess it's just D major. That way you won't have many crosses (sharp notes like C#, i don't know if you call those crosses in english too) and it starts on a D right, and D is the only not-modified chord in it. In fact, that way the ONLY cross in it is the very root note of the C chord. But even that C chord kind of refers to a D, with it's add9 being a D.
Last edited by livefortoday at Jul 5, 2006,
Quote by Gin_Rummy
I'm wanting to say some form of D minor, as it can't be D major (you have C natural), but you don't have the D minor chord.
It's not a form of D minor and it actually can be a form a D major, D Mixolydian actually (since G major is the parent scale of A Dorian and D Mixolydian).

I'm actually thinking that is doesn't resolve to A. I'll get back to you in a minute.

Edit: Oh hell, I screwed this up. It can't be any kind of A minor since it is A MAJOR add 9, not A minor add 9. It doesn't actually fit into one scale since it contains C, C# and D (all consecutive half steps). I would use some combination of D Ionian and D Mixolydian. You would use D Ionian over all but the C chord. You would use D Mixolydian over that chord.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Jul 5, 2006,
I'm not planning to blaze a solo over this, it's a soft fluid progression where end on the last chord and start up again.
Run!
Quote by ifeastonbums
Quote by GuitarSymphony
I'm not planning to blaze a solo over this, it's a soft fluid progression where end on the last chord and start up again.
You would do what I descibed in my edit.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You would do what I descibed in my edit.

Why thank you so much, you couldn't have said it simpiler
Run!
Quote by ifeastonbums
hahaha

i'd just use D ionian, that's a normal D major that is. Bangoodcharlotte has got it right with the Dmixolodian/D combination, but well, in melodies, a flat sixth note (a normal C instead of a C# here), would sound bad (they even invented the harmonic and melodic minor scale for that), so just pick Dmajor.
Quote by livefortoday
hahaha

i'd just use D ionian, that's a normal D major that is. Bangoodcharlotte has got it right with the Dmixolodian/D combination, but well, in melodies, a flat sixth note (a normal C instead of a C# here), would sound bad (they even invented the harmonic and melodic minor scale for that), so just pick Dmajor.

Ah, thanks for that as well
Run!
Quote by ifeastonbums
Quote by livefortoday
hahaha

What the hell are you talking about?
well
if you just wanted to solo
look at the arpeggios
yeha everyone dreads arps
but why not play the notes of the chords while the chords being played
Quote by azn_guitarist25
what music do you play? what amp do you maily use? how much you willing to spend? what country do you live in?

Quote by timi_hendrix
You forgot "asl?"

Quote by @zzasin
You want me dead cause I don't share your opinion?

I bet my life savings your an American..
Cadd9 sounds fine in D major. bVII is a very common chord in jazz and classical music; once upon a time the modulation to the parallel minor was relatively common. bVII is VII in the minor scale; its a major chord in the minor key.

Cadd9 works in Dm, and because of the major tonality and the similiar tonal center, you can use it finely. Same can be said with bVI (most of the time). Cadd9 works well in particular because... the add9? Add D.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
Cadd9 sounds fine in D major. bVII is a very common chord in jazz and classical music; once upon a time the modulation to the parallel minor was relatively common. bVII is VII in the minor scale; its a major chord in the minor key.

Cadd9 works in Dm, and because of the major tonality and the similiar tonal center, you can use it finely. Same can be said with bVI (most of the time). Cadd9 works well in particular because... the add9? Add D.
I'm sure it sounds fine in the chord progression, but you have to watch out for that C# when you solo!
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I'm sure it sounds fine in the chord progression, but you have to watch out for that C# when you solo!

I'm not writing a solo though, Just soft catchy melody to play over the soft progression.
Run!
Quote by ifeastonbums
you'd still have to be careful with it, though- he makes his point. C# will pretty much never sound fine over Cadd9; so you'd have to be careful with it in a chord prog with Cadd9 within it.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
I haven't tried this yet, so it may sound horribly wrong, but my intuition tells me that D Lydian or E mixolydian depending on how you want it to sound over D>Asus9>E7sus4, and D dorian or maybe even C Lydian over the Cadd9(#11)>G6. It depends on how you voice the chords too. I suspect the modal interchange btwn D Lydian and D Dorian might sound cool, but i have no idea. Good luck.
Quote by UtBDan
you'd still have to be careful with it, though- he makes his point. C# will pretty much never sound fine over Cadd9; so you'd have to be careful with it in a chord prog with Cadd9 within it.

Think I could hit a C# shote and suspend it till I got to the Cadd9?

The Aadd9 -> E7sus4 is really just short transition to give the progression a little bit of feeling. So I figure, if I can play D Ionian all the way to the E7sus4 . Whe I get to the E7sus4 I would hit the C# note and suspend the melody, just to make the melody more interesting.Would this be a good thing to do? I can't record myself and just try yet till I get back home.
Run!
Quote by ifeastonbums
My Musical Challenge of the Day: Find a way to use C# in this progression (namely over the Cadd9 chord) without sounding like shiiteee
use it as a quick passing tone resolving to C, preferrably on the downbeat so it's dissonance isn't as noticeable
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by axe_grinder247
use it as a quick passing tone resolving to C, preferrably on the downbeat so it's dissonance isn't as noticeable

thats cheating! :P

i wanna find a way to hold it through a good portion of the chord, AND sound good lol
hmm, the only thing i could think of is placing it in an alternating sweep sequence switching the C with C# each time through...this might work well if it is either the highest note or the bass note, anything in between might make it sound sour
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by axe_grinder247

I'll keep that in mind.

As for the challenge. You're on!
Run!
Quote by ifeastonbums