Page 1 of 2
Sorry about the new thread guys, but I need some help as I am going to buy something today.

I have only $225!

I called guitarcenter and they told me the Roland Cube 60 is $225 but he can't get one in for awhile.

But they have the Spider2 75 watt in stock for $199. I need to get a decent metal 112 as my Peavey 212 TransTube is heavy, bulky, and the buzzy sound get's annoying.

What should I do, sacrifice and wait or get the Spider 2? I've read alot of bitter sweet reviews on here about the Spider and all good things about the Roland (for obvious reasons)

I don't care much about the effects on either amp... I just want a nice clean, crunch, and an airy kick ARSE Metal tone.

I listened to "GardenGnome26" Metal riffs using his Spider 2 15 and sounded really good. Anyone have some recordings using both, Roland and Spider?

Thanks for your help in advance!!!

Sorry about another roland/spider thread!
Roland cube 60 x infinity. Just wait. It will be worth it. Especially over spider.
well if you want a hairy assed metal tone go for the line 6, but it also covers the other end of teh spectrum aswell so you will get that nice crunch you would like, so dont bother with the roland get the line 6
Fear my squirrelly wrath!

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music.
Roland cube 60. obvious choice. you'll be glad. don't waste your hard earned money on a kind-of-decent-but-also-sorta-****ty-spider. patience my friend!!! patience is a virtue.
Nirvana
Good Charlotte, Simple Plan
I wish they have one in stock!!!! I'd like to play both and feel it for myself. And $225 for the Cube is an AWESOME deal considering Musicianfriend.com has them for $345.

Like I said, GardenGnome26's Spider sound fantasic. But if the Roland is better, I want that.

also I need a line out so I can record. It appears as if the Spider doesnt have a Line out. This will be my studio amp. I'm impressed that they have a 12" Celestion speaker.
Quote by MrSandMan
I wish they have one in stock!!!! I'd like to play both and feel it for myself. And $225 for the Cube is an AWESOME deal considering Musicianfriend.com has them for $345.

Like I said, GardenGnome26's Spider sound fantasic. But if the Roland is better, I want that.

also I need a line out so I can record. It appears as if the Spider doesnt have a Line out. This will be my studio amp. I'm impressed that they have a 12" Celestion speaker.

Spiders sound awful. If you think they have good tone, you haven't developed an ear for tone yet.

Go for the Cube.
Anyone have some recordings with the Spider 2 75watt or the Roland 60? I'd like to take a listen.
Honestly do your self a favour and wait for the roland. If you need it now then order the roland off the internet or something. I mean it might be a few weeks to wait for the roland but you'll be stuck for a much longer time with a piece of crap like the spider. You might think it sounds great at first but when you have listened to it for a few months it will sound sterile and digitial especially compared to the roland.
i own both....i honestly like my spider much better, i love its distortion, cleans are pretty nice for waht i need as well. metal player btw.
Thanks Markoos. The general consensus is pointing towards the Roland. Perhaps that's the way I should go. Plus I need a line out!!!

Anyone have any recordings using the Roland 60?
Quote by jett12
i own both....i honestly like my spider much better, i love its distortion, cleans are pretty nice for waht i need as well. metal player btw.

SWEET! If you own both, your opinion is a huge influence on my decision. Have any recordings?
no i dont have anything to record with, i suggest just palying both at guitar center, preferably with ur guitar, play around see which tone you like best.
Quote by jett12
no i dont have anything to record with, i suggest just palying both at guitar center, preferably with ur guitar, play around see which tone you like best.

They only have the Spider in stock. Are you interested in selling your Roland 60?
Cube 60 for 225$....hell if you dont buy it tell him i will.... definatly go with the cube...
I'll mic my cube 60 a little later on today and record you some stuff. ^_-

Got any requests?

EDIT: Even if you don't like the cube, wait for it.

Buy it @ 225 then resell it on ebay for 300 easy. O.o
Quote by El Codyo
You sure it's a 60, usually it's the 30's that go for $225.

yeah a 60 for 225$?? if im within 1000 miles i might have to drive there and get it that's a steal
Quote by El Codyo
You sure it's a 60, usually it's the 30's that go for $225.

I double made sure it was the Roland Cube 60 with effects. $225.00. I even wrote down the guys name and Employee ID just in case they try jumping the price.

I think I'm gonna buy the Spider II 30 watt. It has a direct line out and I have a 30 day return period (I think)

If I don't like it, I'll trade back in towards the Roland.

Hell if the Roland is that good, I'll just sell my 6 month old TransTube 212 EFX for it. The Roland has external speaker output... It may run a 212 box with Celestions + the 12" in the combo.
Well ive record a Fade to Black cover using a spider II, maybe this will help. (Link on sig)

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (jb/jazz)
Peavey Studio Pro 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Monster Cables
Line 6 PODXT Live
Quote by pacoasterrider
yeah a 60 for 225$?? if im within 1000 miles i might have to drive there and get it that's a steal

Yup! Ask for Josh in Guitars 1-616-940-4574.
Quote by sg-rocker173
You want some clips then or no? :P

If you have something on-hand, sure!

Actually, for shyts and giggles you may want to record something since there are like 25 Spider VS Roland threads everyday.

I would still like to ear the Metal Roland sound.
Quote by COBTRI
Well ive record a Fade to Black cover using a spider II, maybe this will help. (Link on sig)

Sounds very impressive! Is that a 30 watt or 75 watt? Did you mic it or use direct line out?

EDIT: That is a good clean sound too!
Alright, I'll do some Tremonti sounding stuff.

Give me like an hour to do some stuff and I'll come back and record some clips and PM you them. :P
For the love of god get the roland. Spiders are sterile and digital sounding. I borrowed one from my younger bro ( his 1st amp) awhile back to practice on while I was moving (My gear was boxed up) and decided it was one of the worst amps ive ever used. Ive been playing for years and have tried many amps. WAIT FOR THE ROLAND OR YOU WILL REGRET IT.
Quote by COBTRI

Nice job by the way
Just got home with my new Spider II 30. I played with it for about 45 minutes and did a little bit of recording. I'll be returning it first thing tomorrow morning. It sucks!
Quote by MrSandMan
Just got home with my new Spider II 30. I played with it for about 45 minutes and did a little bit of recording. I'll be returning it first thing tomorrow morning. It sucks!

^^^ I did try it before buying it. I tried 10 amps. I liked the Crate the best, but it was $50 out of price range and didn't have a "Line Out" either.

I got the Spider to sound decent in the store, but now that I am home, I found out that plugging in the "Line Out" to record disables the 12" speaker.

The sales guy said it wouldn't.

Besides, I'll get a full refund within 30 days of purchase. I wanted to take the chance with the amp since there were no consequences.
Here is a sample of the Spider in the "INSANE" mode.

I had to play this without any sound. When I plug the cord straight into the headphone jack (I lose the 12" speaker) then I plugged directly into the "MIC IN" behind the computer. (I know, the poor man method)

All I used is computer, amp, guitar, and Audacity to make this clip.

http://mrsandman.dmusic.com/music/stream/hifi/320040/.8b69a37d/stream.m3u

Don't pay attention to my guitar playing, it's aweful, I know. But I couldn't hear it.
Last edited by MrSandMan at Jul 6, 2006,
Spiders suck. You should have just waited.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Just remember people here aren't trying to screw you into buying somthing worse. Spiders have a very bad rep at ug so do Marshall MG's and alot of other solid state amps. There are some good ss amps and the cube is one of them.
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
^^^ I agree! The Spider IMO is a decent amp for the $$$ tho. The Peavey 112 TransTube sell for like $350. The Spider 30 was $150 out the door (I haggled the salesman) and is a much better amp than the TransTube.

I'm still thinking about returning the amp and selling my TransTube 212 (which I paid $459 for new) may get $300 of ebay.

I'd like to have on nice Tube amp for live gigs and one cheap SS for practice and recording.

Like I said, my budget is $225 (max) I made an offer to someone selling a Cube 60 here and a guy off ebay. Guitarcenter said they can't get no more Cube 60's????

Here is a METAL sample. Again, I can't hear what I am playing... sorry if the playing sucks.

http://mrsandman.dmusic.com/music/stream/hifi/320047/.2e98fcee/stream.m3u

(If I keep the amp, I'm going to try and rewire the headphone jack so I can use that as my record function while having the Celestion live.
if you want a metal sound. go for the line 6, if you want all-roound versatility, defeintiyl the cube.
malmsteen on jerry c "you are a rising force"
Dude........... the Line 6 Spider is...... bad !!

Trust me !! Try a cube !! Plzz !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Page 1 of 2