Hi everyone,

I just got my new ENGL Savage 120 which has a lot of knobs . What i'd like to know is how to get a decent wailing lead sound out of it, or even a good rhythm setting. Maybe something along the lines of Dream Evil. It's my first separate head/cab amp but at the moment it only seems to sound as good as my Marshall MG30dfx with a Digitech Grunge pedal infront of it :O Could i have the setup wrong? Btw i play an ESP Viper 2005.
you REALLY don't need any distortion pedals with a Savage dude, its like owning a powerball but alot more versital. I belive Dave MC has one, PM him and ask.
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
what volume level are you able to play at? I have a savage se, by the way.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, I play at home volume, and mine sounds pretty brutal. I think the major thing to remember is that the gain control for the crunch 2 channel also affects the amount of available gain on the lead channel (that caught me out at the start!)- so you need the crunch 2 gain control up pretty high, if you want to get a really heavy tone on the lead channel. You probably want rough mode enabled too.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hi, thanks for all the advice, i've just been playing around with it this morning and im gradually working out all the settings. Cheers for all the advice.

If i did decide to get an attenuator does anyone have advice on which is the best (i've only heard of the Hot Plate)?

Keep those recommended settings coming
^^ i doubt it. You haven't met lordriffenstein yet. And *def*. I just happen to have it, and I know that caught me out, so there's a reasonable chance it caught him out too.

Make no mistake, it sounds more brutal at higher volumes- but it has more than enough gain even at low volumes. Just it opens up and generally sounds awesome at higher levels.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by toptone78
Hi, thanks for all the advice, i've just been playing around with it this morning and im gradually working out all the settings. Cheers for all the advice.

If i did decide to get an attenuator does anyone have advice on which is the best (i've only heard of the Hot Plate)?

Keep those recommended settings coming

I've heard the HotPlate is generally damn good, but does suck some tone.

Quote by Dave_Mc
^^ i doubt it. You haven't met lordriffenstein yet. And *def*. I just happen to have it, and I know that caught me out, so there's a reasonable chance it caught him out too.

Make no mistake, it sounds more brutal at higher volumes- but it has more than enough gain even at low volumes. Just it opens up and generally sounds awesome at higher levels.

I'm fully aware the brutality of this amplifier....I was about 50 ft away from one during a concert and it was a metal concert, and had there been small children...THey would have immediatley died. Do I really need to say more?
well, I haven't tried the standalone hotplate, but the one built into the THD bivalve sucks some tone at high attenuation settings- kind of sounds muffled etc. I haven't tried any others, but from what I hear, most attenuators do this. The thing is, to sound awesome, your speakers have to be working hard too, etc....

the easiest way to find out if an attenuator would be useful is to crank your amp and see if it improves the tone/amount of gain enough. If it doesn't, you might be better with an overdrive pedal...

oh, setting for brutal metal tone (at low volumes): crunch 2 10, lead 10, lead boost off, bass and mid 9, treble 3-6, presence about 6, depth boost engaged. At higher volumes, you can roll back the gain to about 6 on each channel (even at low volumes, i just like saturation!).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sounds weird but it can take time to get used to having a good tone. Keep fiddling is my only advice really.
My gear:

Gibson Gothic Flying V
Engl Screamer Combo
Maxon OD-9
Squier 10w amp
Quote by Refixer
I'm fully aware the brutality of this amplifier....I was about 50 ft away from one during a concert and it was a metal concert, and had there been small children...THey would have immediatley died. Do I really need to say more?

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Tubey
Sounds weird but it can take time to get used to having a good tone. Keep fiddling is my only advice really.

agreed. My tone now is way different to the way it was when I was trying them out in the shops, lol.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I wish we had some ENGLs here. The only people I know with them are in bands that make hundreds per show.
Quote by toptone78
Hmm i'm also sitting about a metre away, maybe that influences my hearing of the sound

Yea that might. Try getting about 10 ft away and see what it sounds like; also face the amp.
Quote by Refixer
Yea that might. Try getting about 10 ft away and see what it sounds like; also face the amp.

^^ yeah do that. When I had my SS amp I used to sit to the side of it cause it sounded better. With a good amp have it facing you head on.

Keep at it for about a month then try using you're old equipment/settings again. You'll be upset that you had to have that tone
My gear:

Gibson Gothic Flying V
Engl Screamer Combo
Maxon OD-9
Squier 10w amp
^ haha, it's true. I tried my avt recently and while I didn't like it before, i was like "wow, i can't believe i had to play with that before... "
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ haha, it's true. I tried my avt recently and while I didn't like it before, i was like "wow, i can't believe i had to play with that before... "

I went from an MG10CD to a 50-watt tube Crate Vintage Series with a Boogie 4x12.

Think of how that difference felt.
^ haha, awesome.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?