View poll results: Which Marshall?
JCM800
16 44%
JCM900
12 33%
JCM2000
8 22%
Voters: 36.
Ok guys. I had been thinking about getting a vintage/modern tube amp and I decided on getting a Marshall. Now, its between 3.

1. JCM800 (Original Single Channel or Split Channel)
2. JCM900 (Dual Reverb 4100)
3. JCM2000 (DSL or TSL)

I play classic rock, hard rock, some metal. Bands like Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, A little Yngwie (I try ), some Metallica.

Now which one of the 3 should I get? Get voting.
jimmy page used a plexi. most are going to say the 800. i don't think many people are happy with the 2000's. on all of those, you'll need an OD pedal for uber gain
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
I'd get a jcm 800.. with a boost of some sort. Otherwise, I'd ge the 900.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

I dont want a plexi because I cant really get much gain out of it. Not as much as a JCM800 or 900. I think from what I have heard and peoples opinions that the JCM900 will be what most people recommend but I want to see.
I've got a jm 600 which is a 60 watt 900, and it has too much gain. One of my mates just got a jcm 800 4010 with a boss bluesdriver and it sounds incredible.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

I'd go for a dual channel 800 and use an overdrive for a boost.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I'm a big fan of JCM800's (although, you'll definatly want a 2 channel for convenience). You might not need a boost though (except perhaps for some of the Van Halen lead stuff). If you can't find a good original JCM800, they have re-issues (very pricey though). The JCM900 is the next best thing. Just try to avoid the 2000's. They're more modern voiced, and they just don't have the nice crunch of an original Marshall.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Yea, I like the JCM2000s, but they just dont sound the same as the 800s and 900s. They are too modern for me so thats why I am leaning towards the 900 and 800. Im leaning a little bit more towards the 900 because of its 2 channels, independent reverb for each, and that it has a bit more gain than the 800.
2000 is def more versatile... but i heard.. remember HEARD.. that theres reliability and overheating issues.. which old school 800 and 900 dun.. with 800 and 900 it realli comes down to taste...
my humble gears:

Ibanez Prestige RG1570 with EVOS!!!
Epiphone Std LesPaul with PAFs

EVJ -> 1960av
EHX Metal Muff, Big Muff, Small Clone
Ibanez WD7, VOX V847, OD-3, BLT slap echo

FIRST Member #11 of the EHX Users Guild
well my tsl never overheated for me and sometimes i leave it on for hours. i tried the jcm 900s and in my opinion the tsl is a step above the 900. as for the 800s ive never tried them but all the bands that use them have a sick tone. if i were to get another amp i'd get the 800 and then mod it up at voodoo amps because their 'best' mods are for the 800's.
JAMONE
You can definitely get a heavy tone out of a Plexi. Tim McTague and James Smith from UnderOATH both use Plexis through Orange 4x12's and get super heavy tones out of their Plexis. Just find the right OD pedal and you're fine. As for the others, the 900 is great. I've played through one and I love the tones you can get out of it. As for the 800, I've either had bad luck with all the 800's I've played or I just don't like them. Every time I've tried one, I didn't like it because the tone was super muddy and I couldn't get a defined sound out of it. And for the 2000's, those are a great amp, but really over priced. Get one off Ebay if you like it. It's basically an improved version of the 900 with more gain.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Last edited by Ambulance X at Jul 6, 2006,